Sign in to follow this  
awake

Your garage sales may become illegal. WTH.

OK so i have had a few garage sales in my time. The old beta-max, a few old records, the teddy ruxpin that gave the kids nightmares and some old camping equipment went to folks that wanted them. Now there is a supreme court case that may determine weather or not you have the right to resale a copy righted product even after you have purchased the item legally.

Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons.

The story starts with a college kid that discovered he could buy text books from Thailand much cheaper than in the states. Then he turned around and sold the text books on ebay locally etc. The company that publishes the text books admits that they deep discount to other countries. But they want to be compensated for their copy right fees on the second and proceeding sells. That would mean every CD, every electronic device, etc would have to be tracked as it is sold.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/kirtsaeng-v-john-wiley-sons-inc/

say goodbye to flee markets as well.

Just another reason why our government isn't working anymore...focused on the wrong damn things all the time

I have to agree. Seems government and politicians are aways arguing and pulling us down this road or the next. No signs of stable rules to work with.

I almost find this ironic, since the gov't not only advocates but endorses intellectual piracy. They allow counterfeit items (fake rolexes, pirated movies and music, etc) to be sold on our overseas bases. They gave the locals permission to bring those items on base and sell to the troops and contractors there and their only rule was "you can only bring 1 of each item back". This is the same as prescription drugs where we are forced to pay higher costs so they can sell elsewhere cheaper. Either way, they expect us to pay for everyone else.

The gov't has failed to deliver what they are bound to do and they breach their contracts with the People every chance they get. People need to start filing charges and civil suits for even the normal broken campaign promises. The crooks need held accountable for their actions and inactions.

I almost find this ironic, since the gov't not only advocates but endorses intellectual piracy. They allow counterfeit items (fake rolexes, pirated movies and music, etc) to be sold on our overseas bases. They gave the locals permission to bring those items on base and sell to the troops and contractors there and their only rule was "you can only bring 1 of each item back". This is the same as prescription drugs where we are forced to pay higher costs so they can sell elsewhere cheaper. Either way, they expect us to pay for everyone else.

The gov't has failed to deliver what they are bound to do and they breach their contracts with the People every chance they get. People need to start filing charges and civil suits for even the normal broken campaign promises. The crooks need held accountable for their actions and inactions.

I'm sure they will be held accountable one way or another when the shtf and there is no law...

I'm sure they will be held accountable one way or another when the shtf and there is no law...

The trouble with waiting til then is.... they have already destroyed what so many have suffered, sacrificed and died for. Besides, when TSHTF, they will just barricade themselves in whatever complex and probably live like royalty still from the resources they stole from the People.

The trouble with waiting til then is.... they have already destroyed what so many have suffered, sacrificed and died for. Besides, when TSHTF, they will just barricade themselves in whatever complex and probably live like royalty still from the resources they stole from the People.

Sadly this is true

The problem is this will probably come under interstate commerce and will be implemented. Farmers markets, personal gun sales, ebay, EVERYTHING will become traceable.

Do I sound pessimistic??????

Realy? pessimistic? no just some wisdom.and yes Im ordering from Emergency Essentials today..yep Im paying the extra freight to get it here quickley..

oops sorry..stealing thread is for Reg5.. lmao

Hmmm, I may need to start a file!! ROTFL

And the problem isn't limited to the government, those in power have found it easier to cater to the special interests groups who want to hug trees and take away our guns, our liberties and our freedom. And the part I find ironic is when TSHTF it's those people who will be out raiding our gardens and stealing our food (or be killed trying). These are the people who expect government to do for them rather than do for themselves, and when there is no more government and they are not prepared to handle the situation they will once again be part of the problem.

SHTF is the solution, I hate to admit that but it's the only real recourse I can see.

Dr K, I won't disagree with you; just wish my family wouldn't have to go thru it. I agree what we need is a purification of the gene pool and remove the algae, mold, and bottom feeders from society. The biggest problem I see, is if the ones who actually care about our country can't form a common defense, the cancer will slowly destroy us and if TSHTF, it can become a rapid expansion of the cancer, as not even all the People are preapred for a major event and will fall in with the cancer to loot, murder, rape, etc to "survive". The true nature of humans will be unleashed in a very blind and self centered way.

Like all Vets, I do not want my family to see the "me" that walked upon those foreign lands but must be present here if the situation you speak of occurs. JMO

civ·i·li·za·tion (sv-l-zshn)

n.

1. An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.

Does anyone know what the word is for the NEXT phase of human inner-workings? I do believe our civilization may be the mutating to a point of utter uselessness.( I friggin love my yard sales...shopping'em not having.)

Regulator5, I do hope none of us or our families have to endure a SHTF event, and your absolutely right about the ugly side of human nature, and family having to see that other side of you.

(I'm going off topic but will be brief)

I have to laugh at one of my neighbors, he is retired Navy, PT boats in Nam, you get his background I'm sure. One morning he was over for coffee and these 3 skunks came up by the house, I grabbed my little 12ga riot gun and walked out towards them. The first one came towards me so I shot him first, the second was furthest (maybe 40 feet) to my left, the third was roughly 30 feet to my right. 3 shots, 3 kills, maybe a hair over 3 seconds (pump action is a bit slow). Guess I had that look or something, didn't talk to him for at least a week after that and he hates skunks as bad as I do. But he sure left looking spooked and has never brought it up in conversation. Point is, if I look that intimidating just taking out a few skunks, do I really want my family to see that side of me??

(and I'm with Pig on shopping garage sales!!)

Edited by Dr K30

In our state, we are allows to own and posses silencers. One day recently, my wife "suggested" we invest in a suppressor for our .22 pistols as well as picking up a suppressed 10-22, since we already have a number of "normal ones.

I KNEW that marrying that girl would come in handy! Of course we have some relatively powerful air rifles as well, and spend a lot of family time in air shoots off the deck for points.(even the grand kids love it)