Sign in to follow this  
oregonchick

History Channel: After Armageddon

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here before or not, but I watched this documentary this afternoon, and it was really interesting and balanced. It took one idea: massive, global pandemic. Then it followed one family living in the suburbs of Los Angeles. They ask:

• What would happen if millions died from an illness?
  • What would be the risks?
  • What would help you in the first days, first weeks, first months?
  • What would you need to do in order to survive?

Then they have historical experts and others explain what is likely to occur, and what has historically occurred during times of major upheaval. I was impressed by how it managed to convey the precariousness of modern civilization without getting all panicky. It doesn't cover ground that we haven't discussed here, but it's still very well done.

I don't know if/when it will be on again, and I'm doubtful it was a first-run show given its airtime today. But I think you can watch all of it here, if you're interested:

http://documentaryheaven.com/after-armageddon/

I posted about it a while back I think, but I thought it was really well done and worth a second (or even third) mention. The ending made me wonder if I really wanted to live through it though. Something just struck me as creepy about it. The part about the guy's cut hand and the barter truck got me thinking though. Been taking a deeper look at meds for those times. I'm woefully under prepared in that area.

I know. I sometimes wonder about that, too - depending on what's happening in the world, survival may not be such a blessing. But on the other hand, even though it would be a struggle, you'd also be rebuilding the world for future generations.

If the tetanus didn't kill you first, of course.

Medical supplies and treatments are definitely something I've been thinking of recently. I have been wondering how hard it would be to learn to grow your own penicillin. It wouldn't necessarily cure tetanus, but it would help with a lot of wounds and infections:

https://sites.google.com/site/windintheroses/penicillin_diy

Even putting aside all of the stuff we can treat, cure, and manage now, I'm just thinking of the loss of PAINKILLERS. Bad enough to have to set bones without the benefit of an x-ray or MRI, but to have to do it when at best you've got a shot of whiskey and a strap for the patient to bite on? Awful.

Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy have some good posts on the forum. A large part of long term preps are medicine. Not just cuts and such but diarrhea, rashes, poisons etc. Fish medicines are the same formulas as human meds but it is illegal to recommend using them for humans. There are web sites out there that discuss dose and shelf life of the fish meds.

Alcohol and honey are both good local meds with secondary uses for food. There are other such things that come under the heading of survival medicine. Well worth knowing.

I liked the show's portrayal of a 'slow motion' TEOTWAWKI. I actually think it will not be an overnight thing so making the decision to bug out can be tough. What I didn't like was the apparent approval of depending on luck to survive. I know it is better theater for the unprepared to win through but 'deus ex machina' has no place in a survival discussion.

As far as not wanting to survive, that is as it may be but, what IF you do survive, even if you don't want to do so. When I was a kid, my mom refused to prep for a nuclear war because she 'didn't want to live' if that happened. Problem was, where we were located, we would most likely have survived! Now what? I want to be sure that IF I survive the TEOTWAWKI event, I am around to take care of my family.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy have some good posts on the forum. A large part of long term preps are medicine. Not just cuts and such but diarrhea, rashes, poisons etc. Fish medicines are the same formulas as human meds but it is illegal to recommend using them for humans. There are web sites out there that discuss dose and shelf life of the fish meds.

Alcohol and honey are both good local meds with secondary uses for food. There are other such things that come under the heading of survival medicine. Well worth knowing.

I liked the show's portrayal of a 'slow motion' TEOTWAWKI. I actually think it will not be an overnight thing so making the decision to bug out can be tough. What I didn't like was the apparent approval of depending on luck to survive. I know it is better theater for the unprepared to win through but 'deus ex machina' has no place in a survival discussion.

As far as not wanting to survive, that is as it may be but, what IF you do survive, even if you don't want to do so. When I was a kid, my mom refused to prep for a nuclear war because she 'didn't want to live' if that happened. Problem was, where we were located, we would most likely have survived! Now what? I want to be sure that IF I survive the TEOTWAWKI event, I am around to take care of my family.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Couldn't have said it better sir...especially the latter