Sign in to follow this  
101matt

Review..Rock Island .45 acp..

I had an American Classic .45 and I believe they're actually built in the same factory as RI. It was a great pistol. NEVER had a jam or misfire, ate everything also and was about the same price. Sounds like you got a helluva deal and a great new gun Matt. Post a pic asap. I've still got my full size, steel Witness but I can see another 1911 in my future.

Sadly, gun shops in Massachusetts cannot sell the Rock Island. Our Supreme Leaders have an agreement with the gun shop owners that they can only sell the firearms on the government’s “approved” list. To be on this list, the gun companies must give the commonwealth a bunch of free guns that are destroyed to see how ‘safe’ they are. Rock River told the commonwealth to go to hell and after that, they were blacklisted. I really wanted one, too! I hear that they are excellent pistols.

Sadly, gun shops in Massachusetts cannot sell the Rock Island. Our Supreme Leaders have an agreement with the gun shop owners that they can only sell the firearms on the government’s “approved” list. To be on this list, the gun companies must give the commonwealth a bunch of free guns that are destroyed to see how ‘safe’ they are. Rock River told the commonwealth to go to hell and after that, they were blacklisted. I really wanted one, too! I hear that they are excellent pistols.

Maybe one will show up for barter...

I'm going to be picking one of these up soon as well. We went to the range the other day and the 1911 .45 stole my heart :) I've heard a lot of good things about the RIA's too, namely that they use the original machinery used by colt to manufacture the earlier 1911's.

I love my RIA 1911. Solid as a rock and never had a feeding or ejection problem. I like using the 10 round magazines and I have not seen any difficulty there either, unlike what I have heard from some other 1911 platforms.

Matt,

I'm glad you are pleased, sir. I've been looking at RI for a full sized 1911 myself. I know they are not a US company but I figure the Philippines saw enough 1911 to figure out how to make a good one. Sounds like they have.

I'd suggest you invest in a box of 180 grain flat nose rounds. That is probably the worse case possible for feeding. Weaker recoil (lighter round) and a flat nose to hang things up. If that feeds well (I bet it will) then you're good on almost anything. I run Hornady Critical Defense in my Colt Commander. Excellent round.

Drat! I really want that full size 1911 and this makes it worse. I've been saving for a .454 Casull but that 1911 is singing a real siren song.

I talked to MY CFO also....

Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 Compact .45 ACP 3.5 Inch Barrel Parkerized Finish 6 Round..$402..just may get ordered..

My concealed permit has been ok'ed...only had to Re NEW..I hate the paper work .But as a good friend said..cant do shit from jail..

Question does anyone else do a cross draw...??

Matt,

cross draw is my preferred carry method. It is one of the few draws that can be easily made while sitting down. It is also faster at getting the weapon into play than a draw from the hip if you turn your weak side toward the target. That way you only have to clear the holster and you can engage; has the additional advantage (if done that way) of reducing your profile for your opponent.

Like anything, however, there is no free lunch. A cross draw runs the real risk of self injury if your weak side arm gets in the way. Shooting myself in the arm would be embarrassing even if not fatal. Additionally, if you do not pivot toward the target (I step back with the strong side foot ) when you draw your weapon you will sweep anyone on your weak side. In something like Cowboy Action Shooting this will cause you to be disqualified. In real life, it could cause you to shoot a friend.

Moral being that if you wear a cross draw you must practice with it to ensure you do not shoot either yourself or an innocent bystander.

Just my not so humble opinion.

The reduction of profile is just another good reason from my point of view.I was taught to "Step back"strong foot in most situation(Its like loading a spring with your knee bent)so its all ready natural for me.

I have been practiceing..and was amazed at the draw from the sitting position.No shoulder flash..

Like Mr.Wales said "just looking for an edge"..

Thanks .

i recnetly purchased a RIA 1911 for about $350 as i heard stories of how well this 1911 ran since it was so cheap. and it lived up to what i heard, it was well built handled and shot just about as well as my colt and kimber 1911s. i wont turn in my kimber warrior but i would not hesitate to carry that RIA.

also why cross draw? to me it seems like a lot of extra work to reach around to draw when carrying strong side hip is much more quick and efficient.

Its like most things...some is personal preference, some depends on the situation...

Capt mentioned a few things that favor a cross draw, one that he didn't mention is better control of your weapon. Cross draw has your weapon more forward than one on your hip, as opposed to slightly behind you for a strong side draw. Cross draw has a lower chance for your weapon to 'print' through clothes as you move around and perform your daily activitys.

There a probably a few more, but those were the ones that came to mind as I sat here.

Not if you do the step back strong side as Capt said in his post...

It would be more of a straight up movement with a slight diagonal...try it yourself...just go through the motions. Also gives the other guy less of a target with you standing sideways to his straight on.

Wardog,

also why cross draw? to me it seems like a lot of extra work to reach around to draw when carrying strong side hip is much more quick and efficient.

You are partially correct. The reach TO the firearm is longer for the cross draw than it is for the hip draw. The movement from gripping the weapon to presentation in firing position is MUCH shorter and quicker if you do the strong side step back.

The shoulder holster draw is slower and absolutely sweeps more of you and those around you. It also has advantages but it does demand you pay attention to your skill set during draw and presentation.

A lot of cowboy action shooters use a strong side hip plus a cross draw for the required two guns. I carry both ways, depending on circumstance but I prefer cross draw.

One drawback is that your weapon is on you hip, butt forward. That presents the grip to the person in front of you.

but wouldnt you be sweeping the barrel more in cross draw?

If you don't do the "dance" of stepping back strong side (could do forward weak side but I don't like that) you are absolutely correct. Again, vigilance is called for when using a weapon.