Sign in to follow this  
smotherhook

1st post advice

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks. The information I have gotten has been awesome. The problem is that I am overwhelmed!!! I really dont know where to start. Ill start with what I have and any advice or short list would be much appreciated.

1. 2nd home on 5 acres next to thousands of acres of national forest

2. remington 12 guage shotgun

3. browning .270

4. browning 9 mm high power

5. 30-30

6. 6 mm mauser

7. loads of ammo

8. browning .22 auto

Thats it. I just need a list of sam's items I can go and pick up and get this thing off the ground. I have about a grand I can spare.

I have a wife and four kids. We have discussed what all I have been reading and she agrees that we need some type of fallback plan in case of some type of emergency. Thanks in advance for your replies

Welcome!

Well, it looks like you're well-armed. Have you begun to think about storing water and food? There's a whole section devoted to "Food and Water Preps" that you might want to take a look at. You'll find more there than any one person could ever tell you.

Browse around and feel free to ask questions.

Just take one thing at a time. Looks like youve got hunting and defense covered so maybe look into water. Water storage and purification. After you get a start on that move on to another catagory. Maybe food or medical.

As for a list of items - Some kind of carbon or ceramic water filtration system(something that filters 99.99% of blah blah), some way to store the water you filter, maybe some water purification tabs and another water to treat water(maybe bleach?) and of corse, bottled water from the store

Arms for all in the house... thats funny. :P

Basics = Fire Food Water Shelter ... in no particular order

Sam's n Costco of course have bulk food items. Myself... we eat alot of Rice (Basmati i think is best and is CLEAN) 25lb bag for like $8

Freeze-Dried stuff is of course fine but can get expensive from a store/ web site if you look at it as 'Cost per Serving' and Calorie value.

Just a cpl days ago i was writting out a shopping list for Bulk foods that dont require refridgeration:

-1 25bag Rice/ month (for 2 people)

-i Like to keep at least 3 cases of bottled water in the house. Not including the long-term water storage in the backcloset.

- Suppliments for 1 year... if taken daily: Vitamins, Omega-3, WHey Protien, Gatorade mix, Colon Health

2x25lb bags o Flour and Cornmeal

-NUTELLA :D

-Bulk Spagetti, Pasta, Mac n CHeese

-Dried Beans and Dry SOup mixes

-I like the 'Knorr' Pasta Packages.

THe whole list is Non-Refridgeration and most of it is 'just add water'

THats just my shopping list, maybe itll give you an idea where to start.

I think you have shelter taken care of with #1, not sure how far from #1 home, 2d home is, so plans to get there when an event occurs (best before but allowing for a black swan). Also, you didn't mention what skill sets you have? You have hunting tools, so do you know how to find, harvest, skin and butcher your harvest? Do you know how to preserve it without refridgeration or freezing? Do you know how to garden? Do you know how to trap? Start a fire without matches and a lighter?

I am not trying to be a jerk, just trying to get a short list assessment of the skills you have. All the others covered the food and water needs. Also, does the weather at your 2d home differ from the weather at your primary residence? This can cause clothing to become a major concern, as most people vacation during the nicer weather months, but if you live in Southern GA and your 2d home is in the Catskills, winter is going to be a very different beast.

Welcome to the forums.

Welcome..

First .Toilet Paper..

Water/storage..WOOD &Stove..Food...Tools..farming...seeds..

crayons for the kids and books..MUSIC...re chargable batterys/small 2 stroke generator..

ok ..you got stuff to do.lol

Hi Smotherhook,

Keep in mind that in any SHFT clean water and sanitation are your primary concerns right up there with defense and food....

Therefore, i'd recommend sinking a well and installing a hand pump if you don't already have one at your BOL. Don't be intimidated doing it yourself with a sledge hammer. Just might take a few tries depending on the structures below ground. You could probably do this for a few hundred bucks if you get a used pump and make your own drive head:

http://www.myspace.com/magicstarer/blog/479205866

Next, I'd set up some sort of outhouse to keep the nastiness under control.

Good luck,

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Ok, thanks for all of your replies. I made a Sam's run and stocked the pantry somewhat. Ill continue to rotate and add for what I would consider short term food supply. In regards to my 2nd house or what I deem as my mancave, it has a well on it so i am good there. I priced a manual pump from a link on here and it seemed outrageously high. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. With regards to water purification, any suggestions on which direction to go in terms of product or model #s? Also, any specific suggestions on long term water storage. I have been kicking around the idea of a 500 gallon tank that the well pumps directly into and having some type of filteration system from the tank to the house but I am open to all suggestions. Once again, thanks for your replies.

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks. The information I have gotten has been awesome. The problem is that I am overwhelmed!!! I really dont know where to start. Ill start with what I have and any advice or short list would be much appreciated.

1. 2nd home on 5 acres next to thousands of acres of national forest

2. remington 12 guage shotgun

3. browning .270

4. browning 9 mm high power

5. 30-30

6. 6 mm mauser

7. loads of ammo

8. browning .22 auto

Thats it. I just need a list of sam's items I can go and pick up and get this thing off the ground. I have about a grand I can spare.

I have a wife and four kids. We have discussed what all I have been reading and she agrees that we need some type of fallback plan in case of some type of emergency. Thanks in advance for your replies

Welcome to the forum smootherhook. IMHO you need to develop a plan before you invest in any thing. Since everyone's situation is different hard solid cookie cutter solutions are not what i would suggest. I have several links to threads I started.(sorry the search function isn't working for me today. I would have included other threads as well.) Hope it helps. You have already made steps in the right direction.

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?2683-New-to-Preping-What-do-you-plan-for

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?2749-How-well-are-you-prepared

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?2817-Holes-to-plug-in-your-SHTF-Plans.-Survival-myths-and-falsehoods.

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?2685-5-things-Preppers-should-not-do.

Welcome to the forum smootherhook. IMHO you need to develop a plan before you invest in any thing. Since everyone's situation is different hard solid cookie cutter solutions are not what i would suggest. I have several links to threads I started.(sorry the search function isn't working for me today. I would have included other threads as well.) Hope it helps. You have already made steps in the right direction.

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?2683-New-to-Preping-What-do-you-plan-for

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?2749-How-well-are-you-prepared

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?2817-Holes-to-plug-in-your-SHTF-Plans.-Survival-myths-and-falsehoods.

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?2685-5-things-Preppers-should-not-do.

All excellent reads. Thanks

smotherhook,

A big thing for your BOL is security. If you don't get there very often you need to think about hiding your preps so that they ARE there when you need them.

The other thing is your bug out route; if you haven't practiced getting there WITHOUT using major roads, you may not be able to get there after TSHTF. Figure it out, practice it until you're sure it works, then have alternates.

Finally, think about leaving some kind of tell to let you know if your site has been entered AS YOU APPROACH. Worse thing for you would be to pull up to your BOL, start unloading and THEN find out that there are bad guys inside your shelter.

Excellent start; you are doing well.

SH - Unsure of what pump you found on here but here is one that while may seem costly looks like a good choice.

http://www.simplepump.com/PRICING/Example-System-Pricing.html

Smotherhook,

Just to add on to what Jumbo said, what is your goal with a well pump? The expensive ones will pressurize the water system in your house. But is that what you really need, or can you get by with taking in buckets of water and hauling them to the house? How deep is your well? If its less than 30ft you're fine with a cheap pitcher pump available for 50 bones at Lowes ;)

Okay, want to at least run a hose into the house or to a second floor? If you can get by with a pitcher pump (water less than 30 ft underground) then I found a real winner for about $300 or so depending on what else you need besides the pump. Check out the Heller Aller "double-acting" pitcher pump. This thing rocks and I'm considering it for our place:

http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/healhapipuwi.html

Even made in the USA, can you beat that?

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Smotherhook,

Just to add on to what Jumbo said, what is your goal with a well pump? The expensive ones will pressurize the water system in your house. But is that what you really need, or can you get by with taking in buckets of water and hauling them to the house? How deep is your well? If its less than 30ft you're fine with a cheap pitcher pump available for 50 bones at Lowes ;)

Okay, want to at least run a hose into the house or to a second floor? If you can get by with a pitcher pump (water less than 30 ft underground) then I found a real winner for about $300 or so depending on what else you need besides the pump. Check out the Heller Aller "double-acting" pitcher pump. This thing rocks and I'm considering it for our place:

http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/healhapipuwi.html

Even made in the USA, can you beat that?

Wolfe

nice find wolf. ill be getting oneof those. my water table is at 18 feet so i should be good

nice find wolf. ill be getting oneof those. my water table is at 18 feet so i should be good

Yes, the Heller Allers are actually manufactured by Amish folks so they gotta be really solid.

I'd order one today with the spares, and a check-valve, etc. but I have to figure out a cheap way to get it shipped here to France. Odd thing is that the hose bib threads for garden hoses are the same here even though everything else is in metric! I may end up going with something local if I can find the same pump concept.

I'd actually like to drive a well in our basement so I don't have to go out in the back yard and get shot at should marauders or just the desperate come to our neighborhood.....problem with that is swinging the sledge with a low ceiling....

Go figure,

Wolfe

DW, don't use a sledge to drive a well, use a slide hammer. Some people call them fence post drivers. They will allow you to drive in a more confined space. The biggest issue with a low ceiling is the need to use smaller pieces of pipe. I'm not an expert on wells, but could you drive it next to your house and then elbow it in thru the wall? I know it would add some work and extra pipe, but you could easily bury the pipe or plant bushes to hide it and still remain indoors during an event and have the freedom outdoors to drive the well. Just a thought, but I don't know if it would have to remain as a straight pipe for the hand pump to work.

DW, don't use a sledge to drive a well, use a slide hammer. Some people call them fence post drivers. They will allow you to drive in a more confined space. The biggest issue with a low ceiling is the need to use smaller pieces of pipe. I'm not an expert on wells, but could you drive it next to your house and then elbow it in thru the wall? I know it would add some work and extra pipe, but you could easily bury the pipe or plant bushes to hide it and still remain indoors during an event and have the freedom outdoors to drive the well. Just a thought, but I don't know if it would have to remain as a straight pipe for the hand pump to work.

Thanks for the advice R5,

A slide hammer is a good idea, you have to be careful not to damage the pipes you drive by smacking them to hard, etc. The techniques are available on the internet. In any case, as long as the pipe is sealed I think I could elbow it in from outside but I'll have to take a look. Good idea.

Our house will be tough to defend without a lot of people (like 10 or so) and perhaps a couple guys watching from across the street. I'll need to set up some cross-fire points from the main floor, etc but I'll figure it out as time goes by.

Regards,

Wolfe

DW, get a screw on cap for the pipe, just screw down all the way so no damage to threads. Even a coupler will work as long as tightened down. That will protect the pipe itself from damage and you can just "beat up" 1 coupler or cap for multiple sections of pipe.

Have you spoken to the neighbors about preps? I didn't know if you had any "help" in the neighborhood. Might be a good time to advance a thought for a neighborhood watch if one doesn't exist.

Hope it works and good luck.

DW, get a screw on cap for the pipe, just screw down all the way so no damage to threads. Even a coupler will work as long as tightened down. That will protect the pipe itself from damage and you can just "beat up" 1 coupler or cap for multiple sections of pipe.

Have you spoken to the neighbors about preps? I didn't know if you had any "help" in the neighborhood. Might be a good time to advance a thought for a neighborhood watch if one doesn't exist.

Hope it works and good luck.

Hi R5,

Finally made it back home this evening.....

Yes, I will definitely screw a cap on the end of the pipe before driving it. Fortunately, it's just sand after the 1st meter so again.

Regarding preppers good number of folks in these parts are already somewhat self-sufficient...then again many are not. However, "real" preppers like us would be considered nut-jobs here just like we are in the USA.

Our neighborhood is currently nearly crime-free so there is no interest in a neighborhood watch....

So in conclusion, my outlaws are the ones I'll try to bring in first because they the most reliable and will probably play along to a point. Still, that's only 3 able bodied men including me.... It will take an "event" (scare) to get anybody local interested.

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe