Sign in to follow this  
Hossfly

My first hog hunt

I didn't get lucky but my neighbor got a 145lb boar.. Not gamey at all and beat the taste of Winn Dixie meat by miles! Camped out in the woods, saw the disk of the Milky Way. Ate like a king and snoozed by a bonfire for the first time in years. Saw shooting stars and deer. Wasn't yet deer season so no luck there.

Walked for miles on forest trails, wore myself out, but the stress from work just dissolved within ten minutes of getting to the camp. I HIGHLY recommend leaving the world behind, even for a day and a half and getting out to live in the woods for a bit.

I also learned that I can live okay out of a large backpack, but I can thrive out of a dufflebag! Guess I need to re-evaluate my BOB setup.....my get home bag will work fine just to make it home from my work area.

Just being away from civilization was the best part. Cell phone didnt work, no city lights. I had forgotten I used to do that all the time. The world moved in on me and just kept coming.

Stepping back and looking at it from the outside reawakened my soul. Made my body feel better also. On the way home I looked over at my buddy and mentioned the fact that we did so much and had so much fun in such a short time. Twenty four hours was the difference between waking up and wondering if I wanted to eat the bullet myself and learning to breathe again.

I did wish I had some of you guys sitting by the fire with me thoguh! Would have made for good stories.

Hey Capt Bart? Thought about you when several birds took off from the woods while I was in the stand.

A deer walked out where they were right after they flew up. Then three raccons after the deer left! Perfect day!

Hossfly,

Tonic for the soul, my friend, tonic for the soul. Being raised around Houston I THOUGHT I knew what a dark sky was until I stopped in the high desert one night around midnight. So many stars I had trouble finding the 'big dipper'! I'd spent most of my life going out at night to be with the stars and I couldn't find my old friends because they had so many others around them. From then on, I spent as much time as possible out in dark sky country. I'm back in Houston now but one day, maybe I'll be out where there are really stars!

Hoss, couple questions for you

I am going to go for a hog hunt with some cousins of my wife's and I was wondering what should I bring other than the usual hunting gear? I would probably be out for several days. We would be hunting around Temple, Texas.

I went to a buddy's hunting camp so I didn't bring camping stuff or anything. I took enough food,water, and snacks to go for 3 days in case we didn't get lucky. We were only out for a day and a half though. I did carry my .45 pistol in case of coyotes, wild dogs, wounded hogs and just for some fun shooting.. I carried a borrowed .338 rifle but didn't get to shoot it. Mostly we just sat around the campfire eating wild pork and staring at the sky that night. It was HEAVEN!

I went to a buddy's hunting camp so I didn't bring camping stuff or anything. I took enough food,water, and snacks to go for 3 days in case we didn't get lucky. We were only out for a day and a half though. I did carry my .45 pistol in case of coyotes, wild dogs, wounded hogs and just for some fun shooting.. I carried a borrowed .338 rifle but didn't get to shoot it. Mostly we just sat around the campfire eating wild pork and staring at the sky that night. It was HEAVEN!

If my trip goes that well I'll be happy

Hoss, couple questions for you

I am going to go for a hog hunt with some cousins of my wife's and I was wondering what should I bring other than the usual hunting gear? I would probably be out for several days. We would be hunting around Temple, Texas.

Jerry,

I am not sure what you consider "usual hunting gear". A solid SHARP knife of course. A dependable sidearm of caliber suitable for stopping hogs (unless you are a very good shot not a .22 - I'd prefer a .357 Mag or larger) and if you have the room/carrying capacity a second rifle. Things break in the woods - doesn't ruin the hunt if your weapon breaks provided you can just enjoy being in the woods. The sidearm provides protection in any event. It is just that the more difficult it is for you to get to the hunt, the more important a backup weapon is. If this is your one hunt this year, you don't want the memory of the hunt to be "there was this great hog but since my rifle was dropped getting out of the truck I couldn't take him".

Just my not so humble opinion.

Edited by Capt Bart

That's kinda what I'm looking for, I maybe wouldn't have thought of bringing a sidearm, but I will now.

My 2nd question - What is the best caliber for hog hunting? My options are: 30-06, .270, 7mm, .223, and of course .22, all are bolt action except the .223(mini 14).

That's kinda what I'm looking for, I maybe wouldn't have thought of bringing a sidearm, but I will now.

My 2nd question - What is the best caliber for hog hunting? My options are: 30-06, .270, 7mm, .223, and of course .22, all are bolt action except the .223(mini 14).

Jerry,

How big are the hogs in your area? While I normally don't prefer the .223/5.56, the ability to get that second and third round downrange might be critical with a critter as obnoxious as a hog can be. I like 7mm, and I thing the 30-06,.270 and 7mm are all excellent calibers BUT, having spent some time up a tree because I shot the wrong pig with the wrong round (a .22 is NOT enough) and a jammed rifle, I really think that FAST second and third shot could be really critical.

Still, IF you are looking at really big hogs, I'd want the 7 or the 30-06 just for the knock down power. You are more likely to not need a second shot with the 7 or 30-06 but IF you do need that second shot, the semi-auto would be awfully nice.

I hope this helps and yes, Capt Bart is saying he'd probably go with the .223 and semi-auto. There are folks on the site know I don't like the .223 but of your selection, I'd say it will probably do the job (the probably is WHY you need a big sidearm) and add a level of safety with a dangerous game animal.

Jerry,

How big are the hogs in your area? While I normally don't prefer the .223/5.56, the ability to get that second and third round downrange might be critical with a critter as obnoxious as a hog can be. I like 7mm, and I thing the 30-06,.270 and 7mm are all excellent calibers BUT, having spent some time up a tree because I shot the wrong pig with the wrong round (a .22 is NOT enough) and a jammed rifle, I really think that FAST second and third shot could be really critical.

Still, IF you are looking at really big hogs, I'd want the 7 or the 30-06 just for the knock down power. You are more likely to not need a second shot with the 7 or 30-06 but IF you do need that second shot, the semi-auto would be awfully nice.

I hope this helps and yes, Capt Bart is saying he'd probably go with the .223 and semi-auto. There are folks on the site know I don't like the .223 but of your selection, I'd say it will probably do the job (the probably is WHY you need a big sidearm) and add a level of safety with a dangerous game animal.

I wouldn't be hunting in my area, probably closer to your part of the country (near Temple TX), I wouldn't mind using the mini 14, but I would be carrying a .45 semiauto as a sidearm.

I don't now if I'll still be going due to an unexpected change in our finances, but I appreciate your input, I hope to get there someday. Thanks