Sign in to follow this  
Danm

Scoped Rifles

One of my sorta pet peeves is the current practice of making great bolt actions rifles and then NOT including ANY non-telescopic sights. I'm sorry but this is just asking for trouble. I was on a hunt many years ago when a Nimrod knocked my rifle over and the scope got messed up. I was annoyed but not all that much. The terrain was brushy and I wasn't expecting to have a shoot of over a hundred yards so I just stripped the scope off and went hunting. I actually was a little glad the scope was off. My kill was made at no more than 25 yards and the scope would have been more trouble than it was worth.

I am older now and a scope is a great thing for my old eyes. I can see just fine with my glasses but find it harder to bring the target and the sights into focus together. Nonetheless I don't own a rifle without iron sights at least available. A high powered rifle with no more sights than a shotgun is almost useless! There is a REAL reason they don't scope combat weapons for the general infantry. It is too fragile to take people flopping on it and throwing it around.

Also, In my opinion for survival type hunting and shooting other than sniper activities, A scope is almost useless. There are huge differences between meat hunting and sport hunting. If I'm meat hunting I'm going to make all the advantages in my favor and the animal isn't going to have a "sporting" chance. Any large game that I take will most likely be in a trap and the shot will be a matter of putting it down. We don't have bears here so most of the critters are pretty easy to kill.

I'm seriously looking at another long rifle and was amazed at how hard it is to find them with iron sights these days. I'm probably going to go for a 30-06 or 308 Winchester because I already have scads of 308 cal, bullets and large rifle primers. In a bind I could even use bullets from any of the 7.62 rounds for reloading.

Danm,

Yep, keeping a scope zeroed after a little rough treatment is tough. Scopes break, get dropped or otherwise not usable and I HATE being unable to use a rifle because the optics don't work. BAD Karma that!

I don't own a long gun without some kind of iron sight on it. Won't say I never will, someone MIGHT give me a Grizzly Big Bore with only a scope and no iron sights. I wouldn't turn down such a gift but anything I buy, I want iron sights on it.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I must admit that while I do agree about having iron sights and making sure that they hit to the point of aim, I sure like my scopes. Iron sights are a great back-up, but a good scope adds alot to a rifle in my opinion. I can head-shoot animals with the scope easier saving meat. Also I can take shots in lower light with the optic's help. I spend a little money for a good scope, my 22's and 223 have Leupold Vari X II 3-9x40mm scopes on them. My truck's BOB (bug out box) has a 1-4x20mm Leupold in it with tools in the event a scope fails. I always pack a spare rifle on any hunt in the event a scope fails, but haven't had it happen yet. When I was young and dumb I had two 12" subwoofers with a healthy amp behind the seat of my pick-up. The unwritten policy at our school back then was if you keep your hunting guns out of sight and locked up and nobody cared. Many of us lived 20+ miles from the school and hunted together after school so we took our guns with us. Boy how things have changed! Anyway, the point of all this was that the Sightron and Leupold scopes were the only ones that would hold their zero riding across the vibrating subs behind the seat. I've been running Leupold for the most part for years on guns that take a beating riding around in my trucks and never seen one fail, but I know it's possible. I've had them knocked off zero a few times, but have always been able to get them dialed back in with a shot or two. I live in an open area where longer shots are common, I may feel different in a different environment. My last 3 bucks were taken at 347, 225, and 250yds. I know that sport hunting and meat hunting are different, I could have taken does with my 357 revolver those seasons, but to me the added precision of a scope saves enough ammo and missed shots to justify the fact that it may someday cause a problem.

I figure that it's not a good idea to have only one sighting system though no matter what it is. Iron sights, especially the thin front blades or fiber-optics on many rifles today, are also fragile. My 7615 and my girlfriend's 10-22 both have scopes, but the option of using the factory open sights also. If one fails we still have the other.

One of my sorta pet peeves is the current practice of making great bolt actions rifles and then NOT including ANY non-telescopic sights. I'm sorry but this is just asking for trouble. I was on a hunt many years ago when a Nimrod knocked my rifle over and the scope got messed up. I was annoyed but not all that much. The terrain was brushy and I wasn't expecting to have a shoot of over a hundred yards so I just stripped the scope off and went hunting. I actually was a little glad the scope was off. My kill was made at no more than 25 yards and the scope would have been more trouble than it was worth.

I am older now and a scope is a great thing for my old eyes. I can see just fine with my glasses but find it harder to bring the target and the sights into focus together. Nonetheless I don't own a rifle without iron sights at least available. A high powered rifle with no more sights than a shotgun is almost useless! There is a REAL reason they don't scope combat weapons for the general infantry. It is too fragile to take people flopping on it and throwing it around.

Also, In my opinion for survival type hunting and shooting other than sniper activities, A scope is almost useless. There are huge differences between meat hunting and sport hunting. If I'm meat hunting I'm going to make all the advantages in my favor and the animal isn't going to have a "sporting" chance. Any large game that I take will most likely be in a trap and the shot will be a matter of putting it down. We don't have bears here so most of the critters are pretty easy to kill.

I'm seriously looking at another long rifle and was amazed at how hard it is to find them with iron sights these days. I'm probably going to go for a 30-06 or 308 Winchester because I already have scads of 308 cal, bullets and large rifle primers. In a bind I could even use bullets from any of the 7.62 rounds for reloading.

One you might look at is the Remington 760 or 7600 series pump in 308 or 30-06. They even make them in a carbine version and all have open sights. They pull up and point much more natural than most with open sights also, the stocks are designed to be used that way. Many modern rifle stocks are designed to position your head to line up with a scope and you couldn't get lined up on iron sights if they had them. They make a police version of the 308 with a good peep sight and longer sight radius also.

I like the CZ 550 LUX & CZ 550 FS they come with iron sights & very well made rifles. Not sure the cost in the states, but in Canada they cost about $1,100 plus taxes. I own several CZ rifles & for the money they are worth every penny in my books.

P210SIG,

I agree. I've only handled a few but I really liked the feel and the single set trigger on the ones I shot. They were .375 H&H Mag and kicked a bit but solid shooters. I've not shot a lot of CZ weapons but I've never run across one that was a problem.