Sign in to follow this  
Rapture333

When Will You Bug Out?

Danm,

Thank you for sharing, sir. No, the truth is NOT bigotry, it is just the truth!

DonDon,

do you think that people watched the volcano at Pompeii on their way to work and thought if this gets any worse I'm moving my family when I get home?

Bet on it! We'll never know but I'm sure some did think along those lines.

Interesting thing about timing. Mr. Carter managed to manufacture a massive gas shortage out of whole cloth. It isn't about resources, it is about control. Global cooling was replaced by global warming. When air pollution didn't force us from our cars, it became energy dependency. Peak oil is a myth. There is a little known secret out there: if it isn't legal to drill in a place then that oil isn't part of the 'KNOWN' reserves. When folks tell you how small the known reserves are, it does not include the California oil, the oil sands, or Anwar. Cute, huh? It is about control. Notice how NONE of the electric cars have the range to make them practical for anything except short urban drives. A mobile population is uncontrollable while a stationary population can be kept in its place.

"Mr. Bush's" recession was never as bad as Mr. Obama's "recovery" but we had to have bad economic news to get a democrat elected. So we had bad economic news. What's driving the lame stream media nuts is that they can't turn it back around now. Once you start these things, they have a life of their own. The control freaks inside the belt way never seem to understand that so we pay the price. The only good news is that now about 60% of the population don't trust the media. I haven't a clue what's wrong with the other 40% but we have a start at least.

Danm's point is a very good one. TEOTWAWKI may not be a major physical event; it could easily be a black swan event triggered by a political move. 'Golden Handcuffs' keep many of us at jobs we'd rather not be in, at places we'd rather not live. It is a gamble but sometimes we do not feel free to just up and leave. That is were a 'forcing function' like losing your job can lead you to a better place. Danm's advice about the plan is a good one. I moved to Houston to care for elderly parents. They are gone now so the only thing keeping me here is inertia. I'm making plans but I don't think they'll get done before TSHTF.

I think that bugging out needs to be a process rather than just a simple single action. In a lot of ways it is like an addict trying to just set it down and stop suddenly without any preparation or forethought. That method is almost certainly doomed to failure.

The first step to bugging out involves a mental change. You are going to HAVE to give up some of the things that you may at this time consider important. By changing what you NEED you will make the decision and the act easier.

The second step is beginning to practice what you believe. Take small steps at first and over time you will be amazed at the changes you can make in yourself. Part of the problem that we will all face it the culture shock effect of dropping from a push the button for instant gratification to start from scratch and then live with what ever you can manage.

Step three is when you start withdrawing from your current life while still occupying it. If you can get your debts down and lower your costs you will find that you can be quite content and comfortable with a lot less and the less baggage you have the easier it is to leave it…hopefully before it is too late.

One of the reasons that I managed to bug out successfully was that I had already gone through these three steps before it was pushed on me. I had already cut my life down to the bone and the only debt that I owed was my house note. The year and a half without a job perfected my ability to live cheap and nearly off the grid. Hell we only used the pilot light on the water heater for hot water during the winter.

After my recent post I came to realize that there is a lot more to survival than just preparing and gathering the things you think that you will need. One of the things that is most important is an understanding of certain realities and another is a change in the way you see the world.

Way too many of the people here and in this country feel trapped to some extent by their circumstances. They don’t especially like where they live and are all too aware that if something bad happens they are in BIG BIG trouble. Nonetheless they stay where they are and are unhappy. If some real big disaster strikes out of the blue they know that they are just totally screwed.

What I’m going to try and offer here are some hard learned lessons about what is REAL in life and what is imaginary. People, like the ones living on the slopes of volcanoes, tend to think in terms of either, “It won’t happen to ME!” or “If something does happen I’ll leave then in a hurry.”

Sadly both are not very realistic. Bad things happen to good people all the time. If something bad does happen you are going to be just another bit of flotsam running in a raging torrent of panicked people fleeing. The best BOL, BOV, BOB and bug out plans in the world won’t do you much good if you are trapped in traffic on the side of that volcano when it blows!

OK, enough of that crud. The thing I want you to look at is WHY you feel trapped in a bad place and why you can’t just leave. We all feel most comfortable when we are in familiar surroundings and surrounded by familiar people. We all have stayed at jobs we really didn’t like because it was familiar and going out and finding something else is just scary as hell!

Most of us also have been or possibly ARE currently trapped by the fact that even though we hate our jobs, it PAYS really well and we have bills to pay… We want our families to have all the nice things in life and want them to be happy. Besides, they are probably even more resistant to making a change than you are!

I’m going to offer you a few myths that most of you possibly believe and then tell you WHY it is not real.

Myth number one…It takes two people working these days to pay the bills and keep the family afloat.

The truth is that most people waste more money than they actually spend on meaningful things. I remember people telling me all this when my wife was preggers and they found out that we planned on her being a stay at home Mom for at least the first 5 or 6 years.

We were pretty worried. It seemed that everyone, parents included, even though both of our Mothers had stayed home, were sure that you couldn’t make a decent living in the working class if you didn’t both work.

My parents did ok, and my wife’s parents did ok with one income but that was back THEN. Things are different now! They really ARE different you know. My parents never in their life had more than one telephone number. I currently have 7!!! They had one TV and for most of my childhood they had only one car. My Dad fortunately had a company truck but a lot of our neighbors got by with only one car for a long time. My Mama cooked every day and if the sun was shining the clothes went out on the clothes line. We often ate outside because the house was hot during the summer months and then after we ate we would stay out and I would play. Sometimes my parents played with me and some times other parents would come with their kids and have coffee while they watched us play together. When we played baseball my Mama would pitch for us.

We were doing this while the house cooled off. I remember when we finally got our first AC. It wasn’t used all the time, rather to cool the house off at night so we could sleep. On the Texas Gulf Coast our nights are hot and muggy as hell during the spring summer and part of the fall. If we could sleep we didn’t worry a lot about the heat during the day.

After hearing about a dozen people tell me that just because my parents only had one income didn’t mean that you could do it NOW, Times are just different, I realized something… They were right, times WERE different. People now think that you just gotta have a lot of stuff that my parents didn’t have. What I came to understand was that I COULD live happily on one income…if I lived like my parents had. Hey I actually thought that I had a pretty decent childhood.

We bought a small house a lot like the one that we were both raised in that according to the bank was WAY below our means. They actually did NOT want to make the loan because they wanted me to buy something that was at least 2 ½ times my annual income and what I was wanting was just a little over half my annual income. It was a small 3 bedroom 1 ½ bath cottage and it was all we needed!

More on another post…I’ve gotten so long winded that I have to post in two parts…blush

We have only bought two cars during our marriage that we financed. Generally I pay cash for an older vehicle. I love to find an older car with a little over 100,000 miles that has been taken care of. They are really cheap and well, they last for a long time. I have three vehicles right now, one small work truck with 247,000 original miles, one big truck with 172,000 and one Ford Focus with 147,000 miles. I have not had to work on anything for over a year (Knock on wood). I don’t have any car payments. The Focus is only the second car that we ever financed. My wife drives a long way to work and we needed something that got a little better gas mileage. Before the Focus she drove a cop Crown Victoria. We put almost 300,000 miles on that car and it had 117,000 when I bought it for 2 grand. I rebuilt the motor at about 200,000 and sold it for a grand when it had 200,000 miles on the new motor.

Synopsis, we lived like my parents had. The Church was our social life. We did things like make home made ice-cream and BBQed at home, went fishing and crabbing and spent a lot of time with family. We spent a lot of time doing things that were free and for vacations we went camping and tubing on the Frio River in West Texas.

Myth number 2…It isn’t fair to your family to live poor when they can see all the nice things that other people have…

My kiddo didn’t have the newest fanciest toys or the fancy clothes. What she had instead were parents that were actively involved in her life EVERY single day. We played with her and spent a lot of time with her. When she got older, during the summer, after we bugged out she worked with me. We carried swimming clothes and snorkels and stuff and when things were slow we went to the state park, swam, fed the fish and watched the gators.

We were on a first name basis with the museum curators in the Sam Houston Museum and got to see a lot of real cool behind the scene things that weren’t out on display. We would hang out with people and then picnic for lunch between jobs. From the time she was 8 until she was 18 she worked for me and with my in the summers and on holidays. This was her choice. By that time my wife was working and she could have gone to a daily summer camp.

We used to unplug the TV every year for the entire month of May. We did this to help us remember what family was all about and to break the habit of sitting in front of the box. We played cards, dominos and board games. We picnicked and played games in the yards. We nearly always had a yard full of kids because their parents were too busy with important things like TV to play with them so they came down and hung around with us.

Our place was the kid central. On the weekends we never knew how many little girls would be sleeping over. They all thought it was cool that we had campfires and weenie roasts all the time. Do you know how cheep that sort of meal is??? LOL. Maybe we didn’t have the fancy stuff. LOL It was actually pretty easy to turn the TV off. We only got two or three channels on our antenna and had to go spin it with pliers outside to fine tune the picture for the different channels.

I don’t think my Daughter felt too underprivileged, they named my grandbaby after me and moved out to live right beside me. LOL we still live like the old days. We sit out on the porch most nights until bed time for the little one. She is our entertainment, she spends a lot of time chasing her ducks and dogs and to me this IS the good life. I quit working for almost a year and kept my little Danni so her Mom could work and finish getting the bells paid then she quit and now I keep her 2 days a week while Mom is going to college to finish her degree.

Kids AND Wives thrive on lots of attention and loving. If you cut out the TV mostly and pay attention to your loved ones instead you will have a lot happier family. If you aren’t constantly racing that damn RAT you can spend more time with those you love. Besides most of the really FUN things you can do with the people you love are free. You take a kid to an amusement park and they have fun for a few hours maybe once a month if you really go for it. If you play with your kid EVERY day they have fun EVERY day and you do to. Balls, cards and dominos are cheep. Your time is free.

Myth number 3…Bigger and newer is better!

This is the ultimate horse pucky. Most debt is not incurred by NEEDS rather by WANTS and the sad thing is most of it you don’t really want. You were convinced that you wanted it by cultural and media pressures. A nice used car is just as good as a NEW car as far as its ability to move you from point a to point b. In my experience they are actually more dependable than new because any bugs that were in them when they were made have been fixed.

Bigger and bigger TVs just means that you are spending more and more of your valuable time being indoctrinated. Some time actually listen and THINK about what those commercials are saying to you!! Do you really think that some hot member of the opposite sex is going to want to jump your bones because you…drink the right beer, drive the right car, have the newest phone, wear the right clothes or the right smelling stuff?

Is eating supposed to be FUN! I mean lets be real, how much time did you truly spend as a kid spelling words with you alphabet soup or Alphabets Cereal. Was the COOL cereal of the day any better tasting than the cheaper but same store brands or was the box just better. My Mom bought store brands and a 12 cent comic book and pocketed the difference and I was HAPPY.

She would on RARE occasion get me a box of Twinkles though. That was a cereal that had a bright colorful elephant on the box and the back was a comic book! I don’t remember what it tasted like I just remember how happy it made me to have it because they advertised it during my favorite cartoons. It took me a long time to understand that I’m still wanting Twinkles because the culture is telling me I SHOULD want it.

I think by now you know where I’m coming from. The trap that holds you is one of your own making. I was unemployed for almost a year when the oil industry collapsed in the 80s. I learned that life can be just as good without most of the things I THOUGHT I needed (and I was already pretty cheap). We were dirt poor for that year. I did ANYTHING for a buck. Some I’m not too proud of but when you are living on 18 dollars a week after you make your house note and must bills you do what ya gotta.

The strange thing is that that was a GOOD year. I spent lots of time with my little girl and wife and family and realized that chasing the rat in the perpetual rat race just wasn’t worth the cost. My wife and I became closer and a better team and when the time came to move on we were together on it and did it. Our biggest regret in some ways was that it had to be forced on us. We should have done it BEFORE it was forced.

OK what does this mean to you? Back away and LOOK at your life. Are you happy? Do you like where you live and is it a safe place or are you on the side of that volcano? Look at you debts and decide if they are WORTH the cost to you as a person.

Start to get out of debt NOW. Do it by finding alternative items, activities and ways that cost less. Try turning your TV off for a week. I hear people all the time bemoaning that there just isn’t enough time in the day to get everything done. Unplug the box and you will find yourself with time on your hands! Use that time to make changes and do different things. When we bugged out we went RURAL. (We had to sell our car and become a multi truck family because the roads were that bad! Some times a car just couldn’t get through.) It was a big change for even my wife and she was raised in the country. We knew though that we could be happy there because we had already parted ways with so many of our old chains.

I know that some of this is unpleasant. I know that it is hard. Breaking out of this is actually the same as trying to break an addiction. I quit a 4 pack a day cigarette habit and THAT was easier!

This like everything is just IMHO and I'm wrong at least as often as I'm right! ;->

I was a member of a "kinda" militia in my mid 20s and then pulled out in the late 80s when I was 35. As soon as my wife finished school we started looking for "Mayberry." LOL. We looked for a place that would have one medium large high school and a much more stable economy.

In the end we managed to offer my Daughter a childhood like we had lived. We lived in the woods 8 miles off pavement 10 miles out of a small town. She played outside, unsupervised and we never worried about where she was or who she was with because we knew them all.

I was a job-shop and ship-yard machinist, could do framing carpentry, mechanic some roofing and still had to put my wife through college as a stevedore. 2 dollars a ton doesn't sound like much until you start doing 3/4 of a million pounds a week! I saw people and their families go from upper middle class to living in their cars in road side parks in the early 80s. I've LIVED through TEOTWAWKI! Jimmy Carter killed the oil industry and basically we were tossed to the wolves.

I swore then that I would never be at the nonexistent mercies of our government again and HAVEN'T been. I still do a lot in cash, I don't like the way banks can just do whatever they want, and barter as much as possible. Instead of whoring myself to corporate America I am my own boss and do whatever someone needs doing. It doesn't have the benefits but nobody can decide to just dump me and send my job overseas again. Besides, the security of the big corporate job is all an illusion.

I worked for Bethlehem Steel in a ship yard. We built offshore drilling rigs. I'm kind of glad Jimmy Carter screwed the oil industry when he did. In the end Bethlehem moved their rig building business to Singapore and then eventually filed bankruptcy and defaulted on their pension plan. I would have been screwed!

Hi Rapture,

I already did it as well In 2009 I moved my wife and kids from a suburb southwest of Paris to a much more isolated village on the coast far away from any big city. Reasons are same as in the US, crowding, crime driven by unprecedented massive immigration from outside Europe, cost of living, etc. I wanted to give my kids a safe childhood away like I had away from bad influences, or a truly story-book childhood like my wife. At this point I was not a prepper but already starting to think along these lines.....

What would it take to get me to bug out from where I live now? Short of an environmental catastrophe making the area un-livable, we're staying put and dealing with it, come what may.

Wolfe