Sign in to follow this  
Rapture333

When Will You Bug Out?

If the situation is a fire or hurricane, throwing your bug out bag in your trunk or escaping on foot seems like an obvious and straight-forward option when bugging in just isn't the best option. But in a situation such as economic collapse, what will it take to make you bug out? Will you move out of the country to GOOD? Or move to another state or BOL? The main question is at what point do you actually do it?

i think either A=It becomes unsafe (unable to defend) or B=the food runs out...also consider disease outbreak, fallout,(before it gets to you, and if you know where your going is safe,otherwise shelter in place at least 2 weeks before going out ) lots of variables, hard to say..

Edited by rayz

November 3rd the bov will be aimed towards the bol. Due to the election and possible reactions to the results, Plan B is fully in place and has been for months. From november 3 to the 10th may be times that try mens souls.

Edited by awake

I dont plan on bugging out unless a natural disaster. I really have no bug out location except my inlaws and they have no interest in preparing. I think it all depends on how secure your current location is and how close you are to major cities

November 3rd the bov will be aimed towards the bol. Due to the election and possible reactions to the results, Plan B is fully in place and has been for months. From november 3 to the 10th may be times that try mens souls.

Well said Awake. I was already mentioning that we should do a camping trip around that time so they won't freak out when I get all the gear together and ready to move.

You guys worry too much. Changing Presidents is like changing underwear. You do it because they stink!
i think the worry this time around stems from the possibility of NOT changing presidents...

i think the worry this time around stems from the possibility of NOT changing presidents...

Not around here... I live in 'Obama Phone' territory, which was obviously a ploy to BUY votes this close to the election.

I have to be prepared for something if there IS a regime change.

Navy, I might be wrong but I think ‘Obama Phones’ were around under Bush. I had a discussion about it years ago and I think W is the prez. I didn’t like it then and I don’t like it now. And Obama is strongly pushing the phones now.

Rod, do you really think that is accurate if Mitt wins? Rodney King got beaten by some police and there were riots. What could – key word is could – happen if the bigoted voters votes President Obama out of office. Think about it. If beating one king brings one riots, what would voting THE King out bring forth?

Again, we prepare for the worst and pray we never need to use our preparations.

Navy, I might be wrong but I think ‘Obama Phones’ were around under Bush. I had a discussion about it years ago and I think W is the prez. I didn’t like it then and I don’t like it now. And Obama is strongly pushing the phones now.

Rod, do you really think that is accurate if Mitt wins? Rodney King got beaten by some police and there were riots. What could – key word is could – happen if the bigoted voters votes President Obama out of office. Think about it. If beating one king brings one riots, what would voting THE King out bring forth?

Again, we prepare for the worst and pray we never need to use our preparations.

Under bush it was free/ reduced HOME phone service, I worked for a company that did service for one of the. Reduced rate ( read as goverment subsidized ) phone companies, and the deal was the customer paid for my trip charge and they received up to a $70 credit on their phone service acct,I saw on those all sides of the issue, there were many customer that I serviced that I was 100% behind their receiving the aid, elderly, mentally and physically challenged. But as I'm sure your shocked to here most were just what you expect, go in the house their kids are playing on a Xbox connected to a plasma screen, they don't stop or look up as you try to get past them to do your work I would have to ask to see the cash or money order up front, one of these call is the reason I went ahead and got my CCW. I went to a house and fixed their phone when I asked for the money ( his mother had left for me) and offered them their receipt he said " you know what I think I'll just keep this, and maybe your wallet too, I stop looked him in the eyes and said you can keep your money and I'll have your phone shut off in a hour, but as for my wallet I know that you think that you and your two friend can get it and you might be right one of you might but I guarantee two of you die trying he took a step I flipped the knife. I left with my wallet no pay no blood no phone service. Got my CCW very shortly there after. The cell phone programs seem to have killed these programs at least here. I promise you if these people feel that their right to free stuff is in danger they will riot. A black buddy of mine and I were discussing the race riot that was supposed to happen here on Y2K and he asked me how I thought us red necks could handle thousands of gang bangers with AKs stream out of the inner city, I replayed with hundreds of scoped '06s.

Edited by DonDon

Well said Awake. I was already mentioning that we should do a camping trip around that time so they won't freak out when I get all the gear together and ready to move.

From early November until Mid January I will be on high alert for problems. Atlanta is a town ripe for problems that could spill over quickly.

You guys worry too much. Changing Presidents is like changing underwear. You do it because they stink!

This one needs to changed and sent back to where he came from.

X2.

LOL, I bugged out in May of 1988. Moved to a small town area out in the woods with plenty of growing room. MAN I was glad to get the heck out of the big city and away from the creeping crud that was slowly taking it over. I went from always armed and had to CLEAR my house any time it was left empty for long to...I don't even KNOW where a house key IS any more. Some of the biggest disasters have not come on us suddenly or fast. Some like the ROT common in so many bigger cities just seemed to creep along. The place where I was raised and live went from a gentle family sort of town to a crime ridden corrupt cesspool. I happened slowly. Most of it was done in the beginning with the best of intentions but in the end the place that I grew up was no longer someplace that I wanted to raise a child in. The road to hell is INDEED paved with good intentions!

Danm,

best answer, wish I could leave as well. Unfortunately for many of us the job requires us to be located in a particular place. The slow motion slide into TSHTF is the hardest to call and unfortunately, perhaps the most likely. Congratulations, sir, on a successful bug out.

Cap, my bug-out was a kinda forced on me controlled fall sort of happening. I was raised in oil country Texas and almost every job that I had ever had was in some way oil industry related. By the early 80s, after Jimmy Carter had assured us that there would be no oil left soon, oil was so plentiful and cheap that you couldn't give it away. EVERY place that I had ever worked folded up and closed their doors! The city I lived in had about 25% unemployment and some areas nee\ar by had rates in the 40% area!

I after several years of struggle during which I put my wife through college working as a stevedore we realized that it was never going to get better. We HAD to leave! Since we had to go and were going to lose our home and most of what we had, we chose to follow the direction of our life plan that we had made several years before. We had put our dreams down on paper and when there was a big decision to be made we consulted that plan and move in that direction. An old gentleman told me one time that if you don't KNOW where you are going then you shouldn't be surprised when you don't get there. We KNEW where we wanted to go so that is what we did.

We gave up our home, you couldn't give a house away much less sell one. We left all our friends and family and started all over again in a place that we WANTED to be rather than just "where we were." It never got much better there and over the years our family and friends slowly followed us.

People seldom will leave the familiar and comfortable for better but unknown pleasures elsewhere. Why do you think so many people live under the threat of volcanoes or massive fault lines around the world. They only leave when there is no choice left to them. I was no better. At the point where we bugged out I was driving 180 miles round trip to work and my wife was working a 230 mile round trip away. My kiddo was living with my parents during the week and we were only a family on the weekends! I had to get my family together again and our home, family and friends were the cost of the ticket.

The only place in this where I take responsibility and a certain pride is that when forced we didn't do what was easiest, rather we did what was best for us. We chased our dreams instead of just letting the tides of fate push us willy-nilly in a random direction. We are where we are because of reasoned consideration and a belief that the world was going down the drain. We were proven correct and the fact is, TEOTWAWKI has ALREADY happened! The world of honor and gentle humanity has passed quietly beyond the veil already. Just because you haven't noticed the smell doesn't mean that the corpse of our culture is still alive.

One of my best friends that thought that I had lost my freaking mind stayed for several years after I left. He came and actually lived with me while he found a place for his family and moved them. His son was beat so badly IN school that he was hospitalized TWICE. The black principal didn't even punish his multiparty attackers! He just said that boy horseplay is normal. They robbed him EVERY DAY! And beat him senseless if he didn't have enough money!!! Once my friend tried to get charges filed but even though this happened IN a classroom in front of two teachers nobody saw a thing. One of the teachers secretly told him that if she testified she believed they would kill her.

This was all in a school that only a few years before would have been considered a great place to safely send your kids. In the interest of integration and racial equity they tool gang bangers out of the ghetto and bussed them to a newer school in a nice part of town. If a white kid said sh*t he was in trouble. If a black kid called his teacher a Motherf*** that was ebononics and if anything was said about it the teacher was accused of bigotry. If a white kid threw a spitball he was in trouble. If a gang of black kids robbed and beat a kid senseless and put him in the hospital that was just normal horseplay! Believe me, TEOTWAWKI had already happened!! I don't know what world we live in now but it damn sure isn't the one I was raised in.

Before any of you out there accuse me of being a bigot allow me to tell you a few things. I was of a generation where I had a Mammy. I was wet nursed and partially raised by black women and loved them without reservation. I have gladly accepted black people into my family and have a lot of black friends. I was raised in an area where black kids and white kids regularly played together. What I'm talking about has NOTHING to do with skin color. In the town that I lived in most of the trash was black but just a few miles down the road was a Klan town where ALL the trash was white. I'm talking about the difference between good, honest, hard working and honorable people and filthy EVIL people totally without honor or morals.

Cap, my bug-out was a kinda forced on me controlled fall sort of happening. I was raised in oil country Texas and almost every job that I had ever had was in some way oil industry related. By the early 80s, after Jimmy Carter had assured us that there would be no oil left soon, oil was so plentiful and cheap that you couldn't give it away. EVERY place that I had ever worked folded up and closed their doors! The city I lived in had about 25% unemployment and some areas nee\ar by had rates in the 40% area!

I after several years of struggle during which I put my wife through college working as a stevedore we realized that it was never going to get better. We HAD to leave! Since we had to go and were going to lose our home and most of what we had, we chose to follow the direction of our life plan that we had made several years before. We had put our dreams down on paper and when there was a big decision to be made we consulted that plan and move in that direction. An old gentleman told me one time that if you don't KNOW where you are going then you shouldn't be surprised when you don't get there. We KNEW where we wanted to go so that is what we did.

We gave up our home, you couldn't give a house away much less sell one. We left all our friends and family and started all over again in a place that we WANTED to be rather than just "where we were." It never got much better there and over the years our family and friends slowly followed us.

People seldom will leave the familiar and comfortable for better but unknown pleasures elsewhere. Why do you think so many people live under the threat of volcanoes or massive fault lines around the world. They only leave when there is no choice left to them. I was no better. At the point where we bugged out I was driving 180 miles round trip to work and my wife was working a 230 mile round trip away. My kiddo was living with my parents during the week and we were only a family on the weekends! I had to get my family together again and our home, family and friends were the cost of the ticket.

The only place in this where I take responsibility and a certain pride is that when forced we didn't do what was easiest, rather we did what was best for us. We chased our dreams instead of just letting the tides of fate push us willy-nilly in a random direction. We are where we are because of reasoned consideration and a belief that the world was going down the drain. We were proven correct and the fact is, TEOTWAWKI has ALREADY happened! The world of honor and gentle humanity has passed quietly beyond the veil already. Just because you haven't noticed the smell doesn't mean that the corpse of our culture is still alive.

One of my best friends that thought that I had lost my freaking mind stayed for several years after I left. He came and actually lived with me while he found a place for his family and moved them. His son was beat so badly IN school that he was hospitalized TWICE. The black principal didn't even punish his multiparty attackers! He just said that boy horseplay is normal. They robbed him EVERY DAY! And beat him senseless if he didn't have enough money!!! Once my friend tried to get charges filed but even though this happened IN a classroom in front of two teachers nobody saw a thing. One of the teachers secretly told him that if she testified she believed they would kill her.

This was all in a school that only a few years before would have been considered a great place to safely send your kids. In the interest of integration and racial equity they tool gang bangers out of the ghetto and bussed them to a newer school in a nice part of town. If a white kid said sh*t he was in trouble. If a black kid called his teacher a Motherf*** that was ebononics and if anything was said about it the teacher was accused of bigotry. If a white kid threw a spitball he was in trouble. If a gang of black kids robbed and beat a kid senseless and put him in the hospital that was just normal horseplay! Believe me, TEOTWAWKI had already happened!! I don't know what world we live in now but it damn sure isn't the one I was raised in.

Before any of you out there accuse me of being a bigot allow me to tell you a few things. I was of a generation where I had a Mammy. I was wet nursed and partially raised by black women and loved them without reservation. I have gladly accepted black people into my family and have a lot of black friends. I was raised in an area where black kids and white kids regularly played together. What I'm talking about has NOTHING to do with skin color. In the town that I lived in most of the trash was black but just a few miles down the road was a Klan town where ALL the trash was white. I'm talking about the difference between good, honest, hard working and honorable people and filthy EVIL people totally without honor or morals.

WOW! Dan thank you for sharing that, your story has many of the same elements that I have struggled with, I just didn't/haven't had the strength to do it, although some days I think of little else.......do you think that people watched the volcano at Pompeii on their way to work and thought if this gets any worse I'm moving my family when I get home?