Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Vive

post your bob & contents. (:

Indeed catfish, I would love to see pictures of your J34 with all your gear in it, idk if 4700 c.i would be enough room, thats why i was looking into the tactical bags such as the Terminator and the Skycrane II

What is the best way to carry a sleeping bag with your pack?

THis has to be a personal decision. You have to decide how best that weight feels on your body, whether its strapped on top of your pack or on bottom.

Personally, I strap it to the bottom of the pack, just because im quite tall (6'4") . If you strap it too the top and you cant stand upright without feeling top heavy, then you need to move it that weight somehwere else.

Indeed catfish, I would love to see pictures of your J34 with all your gear in it, idk if 4700 c.i would be enough room, thats why i was looking into the tactical bags such as the Terminator and the Skycrane II

You can always add the zip in panel for the mesh portion, or the spike camp duffle to increase room. That is what I did first and then decided I needed to shrink things down. That led to creating a second bag for my girlfriend also and transfering items to it.

I'll see what I can do later this weekend. It all fits pretty easily actually and makes a fairly compact package for what it entails. In fact I have it all in or strapped onto my X3 Lo Drag right now since it's hunting season and the J34 is getting used for that. With proper packing and stuff sacks you can do amazing things. I to like to have the sleeping bag on the bottom if I'm carrying a true full-size sleeping bag. For my bag I'm switching to the Mountain Serape I just bought for a multi-purpose solution.

I have my X1A1 up for sale now in the classifieds. It was my girlfriends pack but she seems to like my Lo Drag and especially my J34 better. Guess I'll be spending more money on a J34 for her now.

Edited by catfish hunter

Amen! This site has given me the incentive to get on my recumbent bike. You are so right. We need to get in shape.

I read one persons comment that you might have to leave the unfit behind. I took a good look at my condition and decided

I am not going to be the one left behind because I am out of shape.

Additionally, when you delve off into the medical and health area of prepping don't get focused on violent trauma and mass infection. Lots of preppers focus on sutures (without knowing how to suture), clotting agents and antibiotics, yet although all three are nice to have they're not the end all be all to this area. Upper respiratory problems (snot based - nose, throat, ears) and gastrointestinal problems (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) are the most common health problems.

By the way, if you're not in shape then start getting that way. Lose weight, walk, jog, stretch, life some weights, quit the tobacco, and cut back or eliminate alcohol. YMMV.

okay here it is...comes in at about 37 pounds....

Tarp

spare clothes

4 knives

hachet

50' paracord

50' twine

2 zip ties(handcuffs)

bungee cord

5 viramasks

10 pound fishing line

rain poncho

seeds

mini bible

2 knife sharpners

antibiotics

10yd duct tape

200 count aleve

toilet paper

1 cooking tin

gloves

2 belts

1 rag

1 fork spoon knife

1 cup

sewing kit

shoe laces

playing cards and dice

1 emergency dental kit

emergency blanket

10$ face value of silver

bug spray

blast match

cotton balls and vasaline

matches

magnessium fire starter

ace bandage

chap stick

fish hooks

allergy meds

burn gel

oragel

bandaids

neosporin

hand warmer

woodcraft booklet

aquimire water filter 20 gal

paper and pencil pencil sharpner

eye glass repair kit

nesbit stove and fuel tabs

citronela candle

50 rnd .38

200 rnd .22

10 radiation pills

p38 can opener

monocular

candy

salt n pepper

9 water pouches

3 MRE's

3 made ready to eat sandwiches

I spoke to soon, photobucket works again. Here are pics of the gear all layed out, and the J34 loaded. I didn't take time to pack it correctly for these pics, just shoved everything in since I have to move it all back to the X3 anyway until I'm done hunting with the J34. It will compact more when properly loaded, but you can get the idea from the pics. The trick is to get all the weight close to your back and the bulky items farther from it. Also when loading it just use the side zipper pockets for the items you want quick access to (ammo, fire kit, food, water filter & bottle) and keep the other items in the main compartment. When loading the main compartment decide how far out from your body the pack needs to expand and then buckle the lower compression strap and fill the bottom half of the pocket. Then do the same for the upper half. This prevents the weight from all wanting to slide down as you walk. I have the list of gear I pack posted elsewhere so I won't repeat it here. I'm always tweaking on it anyway. My biggest weakness in my pack is first aid, I have my big master kit in my vehicle and a kit in my girlfriend's bag but not much past superglue, vetwrap, gauze, tape, and neosporin in mine. I have line and repair needles that could suture in a pinch. I do have some antibiotics and multivitamins stored in the freezer I'd throw in when I left. The total weight right now is 52.5lbs including the rifles. Since I have the mountain serape now I think I'll take out the gore tex jacket, drop a couple more pounds. I'm always looking for multi-purpose gear that can lighten my load. The handguns & holsters are not in the pack or included in the total weight. I'd only pack one or the other, and the situation would dictate whether I wanted the concealable Smith or the big Ruger. As long as I could go by vehicle I'd have both.

Another thing I should point out that you can see in the pic of the loaded pack, is that the compression straps are not run through the loops that also compress the scabbard. That is the best way to compress everything and keep it close to your back, the downside being that it makes it harder to withdraw the firearm. I find that I can draw my rifle pretty quick even with it compressed, especially the pump with it's smooth lines.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad331/mcseal2/005.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad331/mcseal2/008.jpg

Thanks for posting, I'm really liking the setup.

My biggest weakness in my pack is first aid, I have my big master kit in my vehicle

What do you recommend to be in a perfect bag's medical kit? Also, what kind of kit do you have in your vehicle?

The total weight right now is 52.5lbs including the rifles.

How does all that weight feel with the back cushions plus waist straps? Also, what do you think of the aluminum frame stays, did you have to bend them to fit your back, if so, did it make a noticeable difference? How easy does it make that 52 pounds feel?

Since I have the mountain serape now I think I'll take out the gore tex jacket

Thinking of getting a serape, do you recommend them?

What's that bag of green stuff in the lower left?? ;)

And what kind of sleeping bag do you have on there?

Couple more questions... When packed properly, does your J34 have any extra room at all in it? What's your overall opinion on the bag.

so many questions.... so little time, sorry mate. XD

Still deciding between the Terminator, Operator, or the J34

http://eberlestock.com/J34%20Just%20One.htm

http://eberlestock.com/G4%20Operator.htm

http://eberlestock.com/F4%20Terminator.htm

I spoke to soon, photobucket works again. Here are pics of the gear all layed out, and the J34 loaded. I didn't take time to pack it correctly for these pics, just shoved everything in since I have to move it all back to the X3 anyway until I'm done hunting with the J34. It will compact more when properly loaded, but you can get the idea from the pics. The trick is to get all the weight close to your back and the bulky items farther from it. Also when loading it just use the side zipper pockets for the items you want quick access to (ammo, fire kit, food, water filter & bottle) and keep the other items in the main compartment. When loading the main compartment decide how far out from your body the pack needs to expand and then buckle the lower compression strap and fill the bottom half of the pocket. Then do the same for the upper half. This prevents the weight from all wanting to slide down as you walk. I have the list of gear I pack posted elsewhere so I won't repeat it here. I'm always tweaking on it anyway. My biggest weakness in my pack is first aid, I have my big master kit in my vehicle and a kit in my girlfriend's bag but not much past superglue, vetwrap, gauze, tape, and neosporin in mine. I have line and repair needles that could suture in a pinch. I do have some antibiotics and multivitamins stored in the freezer I'd throw in when I left. The total weight right now is 52.5lbs including the rifles. Since I have the mountain serape now I think I'll take out the gore tex jacket, drop a couple more pounds. I'm always looking for multi-purpose gear that can lighten my load. The handguns & holsters are not in the pack or included in the total weight. I'd only pack one or the other, and the situation would dictate whether I wanted the concealable Smith or the big Ruger. As long as I could go by vehicle I'd have both.

Another thing I should point out that you can see in the pic of the loaded pack, is that the compression straps are not run through the loops that also compress the scabbard. That is the best way to compress everything and keep it close to your back, the downside being that it makes it harder to withdraw the firearm. I find that I can draw my rifle pretty quick even with it compressed, especially the pump with it's smooth lines.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad331/mcseal2/005.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad331/mcseal2/008.jpg

i like the homemade rifle did you make it or did someone make it for you? is it a .22? glad to see someone lives revolvers like me...

What do you recommend to be in a perfect bag's medical kit? Also, what kind of kit do you have in your vehicle?

No person's med kit can be perfect for another person. I'll post my master kit later. Basically, a trauma kit, antibiotic cream, anti-allergy medicines, any special meds you need, and antibiotics like ammoxicillian or keflex.

How does all that weight feel with the back cushions plus waist straps? Also, what do you think of the aluminum frame stays, did you have to bend them to fit your back, if so, did it make a noticeable difference? How easy does it make that 52 pounds feel?

It packs it well. It feels heavy until it is stapped on and adjusted and then gets better. I'm always trying to lighten it, but have trouble doing so. My axe, Kifaru stove, and 3 calibers of ammo plus 2 rifles make going much lighter very difficult. For what I actually have the weight is very light due to most of my clothing and shelter being designed for backpack hunting. Many people don't take into account the weight of a rifle, web gear, butt pack, etc and actually pack more weight than they realize.

Thinking of getting a serape, do you recommend them?

I do from what I've used it. It's pretty new to me, but seems well made and is warm. Reg sent me a link to another brand that's considerably cheaper but I really liked everything I'd seen on this one. I'm going to take out my Goretex jacket from my current list, with the army poncho and serape it should cover my cold weather outerwear.

What's that bag of green stuff in the lower left?? ;)

Not sure which you mean. The camo bandana on what I'd call the upper left holds the pegs for the Kifaru paratarp so that they can't puncture anything else

And what kind of sleeping bag do you have on there?

Just the serape and some of the spare clothing I'm not as likely to need in a hurry in the stuff sack. The serape works as a half zip sleeping bag.

Couple more questions... When packed properly, does your J34 have any extra room at all in it? What's your overall opinion on the bag.

so many questions.... so little time, sorry mate. XD

Love the bag. The way it's configured there I use maybe 2/3 of the room. It can expand much further, enough to hold the stuff sack and more items.

Still deciding between the Terminator, Operator, or the J34

No personal experience with the others, but I like the J34. It is designed to function in so many different ways, expand to pack meat or firewood, collapse to make a nice compact daypack for a scouting or hunting trip, etc. It is also a shade under 7lbs and 2lbs 10oz lighter than either of the other two. That weight is quite a few 22 shells, and axe, etc. Especially considering the price I recommend the J34. The camo material is much quieter also than my nylon Eberlestock and waterproof or close to it. The other packs you listed don't look like they collapse well for lighter loads. Alot of the extra weight looks to be in additional pockets and zippers which would make accessing gear but I find I can put what I need in a spot I can reach it with the 5 pockets of the J34.

i like the homemade rifle did you make it or did someone make it for you? is it a .22? glad to see someone lives revolvers like me...

I put it together from a kit, a Crickett or Chipmunk 22 action plus the Ruta Locura carbon fiber barrel & stock kit. Total weight 15oz. I did a review on it in the firearms section.

I also like revolvers alot. I am used to a nice crisp trigger on my long guns and find I shoot a revolver with a good trigger much better than I do a striker fired auto. Nothing against them, just what works for me. I'm always debating what to pack in the BOB for firearms. I can't seem to make myself go with just a 22 rifle and defensive handgun because I want more range than either of them offer. I regularly shoot to 600yds with my bigger rifles and am extremely confident with my carbine to 300yds. I'm not a huge 223 fan but I'm not sure I want the weight of ammo for a larger rifle, my bag is heavy enough as it is. I've considered a 357 lever rifle but that limits my range. If I was to switch it would likely be to a 243 in an AR-10 or pump configuration, although the new Leverevolution ammo has me considering a lever action 30-30. My little 223 carbine still seems to be the best compromise of everything for my needs though. It takes AR clips for quick reloads and a good rate of fire if needed, which I hope it never will be. With good 60 or 65gr bullets designed for deer it has just enough knockdown and range while remaining handy. It is darn accurate also, it will shoot most ammo into 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100yds and cheap Herters 55gr HP's into MOA. MOA in this case means "Minute of Apple", because I tested it on some bad ones from the tree and went 5 for 5 at 100yds. It seems to shoot most any ammo to within an inch of the same point of impact also which makes switching up bullets easy.

Edited by catfish hunter

My master medical kit so far (always under construction, like my other gear) I keep it my truck I haul horses and cattle with, so it includes some vet supplies also.

Front pocket

-thermometer

-disposable scalpels (6)

-large heavy plastic straw

-rubber tournaquiet

-surgical scissors

-hemostat

-surgical tweezers

-curved surgical tweezers

-space blanket

-butane lighter

-dryer lint

Main pocket

-wilderness athlete hydrate & recover powder

-aleve (large bottle)

-Ace bandage + 4 safety pins

-Gauze pads (3”x3” quantity 10)

-gauze sponges (4x4 quantity 4)

-first aid & wilderness survival mini-book

-Benzalkonium antiseptic towlettes (quantity 9)

-Iodine prep pads medium (quantity 4)

-alcohol prep pads medium (quantity 2)

-athletic tape (3 rolls one 1” and two 2”)

-Iodine water tablets ( 1 bottle up to 25qts)

-Needle & 15ft of 10lb fishing line

-Wrap 1 roll self adhesive bandage

-Amoxycillian 1 bottle 19 capsules)

-bandages (standard and butterfly assorted sizes)

-calf suture kit

-corona ointment

-20 rubber gloves

-instant cold pack

-laxatives

-dental floss

-theraflu cold strips

-first aid quick guide book

-q-tips (8)

-2 tampons (gunshot or other major puncture wounds)

-hydrogen peroxide 4oz

-syringe wound irrigation (quantity 2)

-saline solution for wound irrigation (1 bottle)

-surgical scrub brush

-vetbond wound sealer (like superglue)

-Vetwrap 1 roll

-latex gloves (quantity 12)

-corona ointment

-coldpack (single use)

-quickclot (2 of a 3.5”x3.5” pad)

-horse first aid book

-antihistimine (benedryl)

-immodium

-tinactin (antifungal)

-carmex

I think you just convinced me to save the 200$ and go with the J34, I thank you for that, Sir.

I've been debating and debating constantly for weeks about which pack to get now. Feels good to be confident in it, seems like a solid pack.

Do you have a spike duffel, or a super spike?

And are the aluminum adjustable frame stays just a gimmick, or do they help as much as it seems like?

Edited by Sir_Vive

The stays help alot. I like them both for support carrying a load and for stability when using the pack upright as a shooting rest sitting or kneeling. I have the spike camp duffle and it's plenty big. The super spike would really get the load set to far off a person's back I think.

How about a list? I've only got a couple patients tonight, and they're all fast asleep.

Here's a verbose look at ArkansasFan's EDC/GHB/Man Purse although I never carry it around on my shoulder. It supplements what I normally have on me for EDC and what I keep in my truck all the time.

Maxpedition Falcon 2 (black)

Maxpedition 10x4 Bottle Holder (black) held in place with Tac Ties (black)

GSI Space Saver Cup (stainless steel)

Klean Kanteen 40 oz. Wide Mouth Water Bottle (stainless steel)

Under Armour Idylwild Gloves (black) Are we seeing a color theme?

Fenix LD20 with Holder (black)

Leatherman Supertool, the original one (Stainless Shiney Steel)

3M Safety Glasses (clear)

3M N95 Particulate Mask (white)

Pilot G-2 07 Pen (black)

Pilot G-2 07 Pen (blue) gotta mix it up

Sharpie (black)

Sharpie (silver) gotta write on dark stuff

Random Notepad (Rite in the Rain can KMA)

Flash Drive....forget the brand (black) with scans of way too many documents and files as well as copies of ebooks and work and school related projects saved on it to list

Flash Drive Holder Pouch Thingy (black)

Trauma Shears (black handles)

Batuca Battery Storage Case (black and tan)

Energizer Lithium AA (2) AAA (3) CR123 (2) Batteries

Germ-X Hand Cleaner

Husky Organizer Pouch (red):

Remington 12 Gauge Shells (6) 00 Buck

Husky Organizer Pouch (gray):

Assorted OTC Medicinals (forget exact quantities of which)

Germ-X Hand Cleaner

Kleenex Facial Tissue

Wet Ones (4)

Rem Oil Wipes (2)

Loose Bandaids

Husky Organizer Pouch (black):

Fox 40 Classic Whistle (black) with Lanyard (black)

Bic Lighters double pack, sealed (red & blue)

Cheapo Match Case (orange)

REI Waterproof Matches (match colored)

Smith's Pocket Pal Knife Sharpener (black)

P-38 Can Opener (metallic, silvery)

Handful of Random, Assorted Sized Zip Ties (black)

3M Gorilla Tape (black) wrapped around an old Sonic Drive In Gift Card, approx 6 feet.

Paracord (black) approx. 10 feet, neatly coiled

2 Packets of Petroleum Jelly (kinda green and white lol) it burns!

1 White T-Shirt (my daily under shirt)

1 Plaid Boxers (my daily under pants)

1 White Crew Socks (my daily socks!)

1 Black Under Armour Compression Shirt (my OMG it's hot out here under shirt)

1 Pair REI Polypropylene Liner Socks (white)

1 Pair REI Wool, Padded Hiking Socks (sort of brownish?) like Heaven on the feet

1 Green Neck Gaiter that showed up in a hunting jacket several years ago

Petzl Tactikka Headlamp

1 Tacticool Ziploc Bag

Assorted First Aid items of a more traumatic nature

Maxpedition Tac Ties, spare (black)

Like a whole crap load of quarters

2 Pair of thick Latex Gloves (blue), EMS Quality, not this Hospital Trash to my left here

The sheath knife, spare ammo, spare mags, shotgun, folding trowel, folding saw, mega length of paracord, MarPat poncho, and duct tape are all items I conveniently leave in my truck. My GF calls that menagerie my rape kit. I also keep a fleece, a cap, some "work" gloves, box of tissue, bottles of water, and snacks in my truck along with a laundry list of other items that don't necessarily fit the bill of prepper EDC/GHB type stuff. Hey, I even keep a stapler handy.