Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

ok so whats gotta go?

just grind it out man it will make you tougher stick with what you got...you can get a good kit made for 50 or under pounds as the food gos it gets light and you keep your tools and important stuff...

Edited by wally

just grind it out man it will make you tougher stick with what you got...you can get a good kit made for 50 or under pounds as the food gos it gets light and you keep your tools and important stuff...

lol, i dont need to be any tougher than i already am. "as food goes it gets light"........ i really hope you plan on resupplying your food as you go. besides, you will add other things as you come across it wont you?

if youve packed well and thought things out and pay attention to things as you come across them, if anything, your pack will start to gain weight bro.

Rick, since we don’t know exactly what is in your bag, we don’t know what to dump. If you’re concern is the bag’s weight, you might inventory the contents of your bag. Then prioritize the list into two categories:

How important is this items to my survival?

How easy is it to find a replacement for this item?

After prioritizing the list, you ought to be able to determine which items can go and what items must stay.

Also, since we don’t know the surrounding of your area, we don’t know how easy it is to obtain food and water. If you are surrounded by water, you might not need to carry any in your pack. Instead, you might just carry a filter or two. Are you a good hunter? Is there an abundance of easily bagged game around? If so, maybe you can live off squirrels and other small game and you can carry less food. I would keep fire making items, clothing (can be used as clothing, to cover wounds, use as a life preserver, etc) and items to keep the weather off of you.

A lot depends on the location. I'd never toss water in an arid environment but if I were somewhere that had easily accessible water, I'd dump the water (after drinking as much of it as I can - hydrate and you can do without for quite a while) and keep the containers. Only a greenhorn tosses an empty water container, Hollywood not withstanding. If I were in Minnesota I'd NEVER dump mosquito repellant - there are some BAD bugs up there.

Again, time of year. In the Rockies in spring, keep your coat. In Houston in Spring, keep your poncho. In fact, I'd never dump a poncho anywhere, anywhen; it is a rain coat as well as a wind breaker and a tent.

What would I dump where I live? I'd shift to my walking shoes and dump the shoes I was wearing WTSHTF. That is probably the most weight. Around Houston, I'd probably drop my extra jeans and shirt but keep my clean socks and underwear. Yeah, I might get wet but I'll dry and it is a BOB, not a long term survival kit.

As I have said in the past, I have a Massachusetts Public School education! That and dyslexia gets me all the time. Sorry to be moronic in providing an answer!

Since I crushed my legs, I can no longer walk long distances. Although I have a bag with me all the time my chances of needing it are fairly slim because I can probably get home from any location. All my vehicles are 4X4 and two have very good ground clearance. My brother owns a deuce and a half so he could pick me up (if I had cell phone service). So hopefully I can get home under all circumstances. Also, my bag is very light right now so I wouldn’t need to dump anything and what items I dump depends upon the time of year, weather conditions, etc.

But, if I was forced to walk home, I would dump my e-tool first because of its weight. Since I am never far from home, could stand to lose a few pounds and am a good hunter, food would be next to go. Water is very easily found here so, as long as I have a filter or two with me, water is not necessary to carry (I know, it sounds crazy but water is very easily found).

Since I have multiples of everything in my bag I could get rid of a lot!

LOL Tinder!!

Looks like if you run across Jerry^up there you better have a couple of 6 pks.

Oh sorry Rick, I ain't ditchin' nuthin'. Get one of those plastic sled things.

I got a weeks worth of groceries on one once during a snowstorm with a cargo net.

Why pack if you could drag?

I know that's irrellevant.

Instead of making a sweeping change think about some things. Why are you likely to bug out? What will make you leave your home, and would you expect to go temporarily or leave forever? If it's leave forever then you may as well put the bag aside because it's pointless. If you intend to bug out temporarily such as an evacuation for flooding, wildfires, chemical leak, etc. then you're ok. That's what I would bug out for, but where I live the only reasons I'd leave are a chemical leak (I'm surrounded by petrochemical industries) and prolonged power outage (which occurs every six+ years as the result of a severe ice storms). In either case, I'd go to the family house (where I grew up) or a hotel. That may help you decide what you want. Also, think about your bag in terms of compartments.

Take a look at this video. I've been following him for a while. His preps are reasonable and prudent. He includes quite a bit more than I would, but he shares the same mindset that I do. He's very methodical in his approach, and you can get a lot of ideas from him. He's really matured in his channel as well and has won some awards since he started in spring 2011. This is an early video, but if you like it you can watch the later videos and see how it all came together because he's finished now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIxNhCkZMJ4&list=PL2115D1CE9FB28C27&index=20&feature=plpp_video