Sign in to follow this  
Regulator5

Gasoline Shortages???

Watch out for the mothballs...I remember hearing that they would crystallize your valves. Couldn't tell you if they actually do, just what I remember hearing as a kid. One of the engineer types on here could answer that better than I could.

vonBayern, Thanks. I remember them using them as a kid, but I wouldn't have remembered the ill effects, if any, of doing so. With all the extra additives out there now, it was a trick that fell by the wayside, but they could be easily stored and have the benefit of keeping vermin away.

I hope one of the engineers can answer if it causes damage.

I agree with you Partsman. I keep two separate five cord piles of wood. One on either side of the driveway. One for the current burning season and one seasoning for the next year.

I also picked up, a number of years ago, one of those five foot wood cutting saws with lance teeth. Great for cutting logs up into maul splitting sizes! Still, a lot of work!

I tried the Stabil at the end of last season on a fresh five gallon can of gas. No joy! Like I said, I will check into the permixes.

Actually a question for you.... How well does 100LL store? I have a in to buy from a local airport, I know that it makes your old car purr again and lawn mowers roar but in theory at the higher octane and the small but there lead content wouldn't it take longer to go truly bad.....and yes I know it will clog catalytic converts...eventually and it would be overall bad for modern cars but for 2cycle engines and the like????

In Oct 2010 strikes rocked France provoked by the government raising the age of retirement from 60 to 62 years old.

NINE out of ten refineries were shut down and gasoline/diesel was severely rationed or simply not to be had for a couple weeks nation-wide.....taste of things to come.

Fortunately, I had the trusty Mobylette Bleu for emergency runs....;)

Since that time, I keep a rotating stock of 60 liters of gasoline, 60 liters of diesel and 60 liters of butane.....

Regards from Algeria,

Wolfe

Actually a question for you.... How well does 100LL store? I have a in to buy from a local airport, I know that it makes your old car purr again and lawn mowers roar but in theory at the higher octane and the small but there lead content wouldn't it take longer to go truly bad.....and yes I know it will clog catalytic converts...eventually and it would be overall bad for modern cars but for 2cycle engines and the like????

DonDon, I really can't answer that question. I only use 100LL in my airplanes and have not tried it anywhere else. Sorry.

I did some digging and so far it seems that it'll last at least a year. Some guys said ten years and a few said make sure to mix it up or shake it before you use it. Some Alaskan bush pilots (a known group of insane people) say, "Oh sure, it'll last until da bears getchya." The debate continues I suppose. I do know that the airport I used to work at and fly out of might only get one 10,000 gallon load a year. It was a REALLY small grass strip.

I did some digging and so far it seems that it'll last at least a year. Some guys said ten years and a few said make sure to mix it up or shake it before you use it. Some Alaskan bush pilots (a known group of insane people) say, "Oh sure, it'll last until da bears getchya." The debate continues I suppose. I do know that the airport I used to work at and fly out of might only get one 10,000 gallon load a year. It was a REALLY small grass strip.

You know Hossfly, that is a really good point about the airport. I understand that 100LL is only made at one refinery in the U.S. and they only put it in production for three months out of the year and that serves the market for the whole year.

I guess that would imply it does last at least a year.

Hello from NM. Your cousin is right...several convenience stores are out of gas and now, out of business. Temporary or permanent I don't know. I believe it was a problem with the distributor not paying their bills. Also, I have noticed that the grocery shelves here at major grocery stores seem sorta slim. Do I read too much survival-after-the-collapse fiction or am I awake and seeing the signs of things to come. It's a good thing ImOnIt!

your post is very true.

most shortages today are due to a lack of consumer demand that had kept inventory levels at distributors at all time lows and in your example they have gone out of business.

dont see a shortage of much right now except ammo and firearms b/c demand is very high.