Sign in to follow this  
Regulator5

Gasoline Shortages???

My cousin, who is in New Mexico, asked me last night if any of the gas stations in my area was "out of gas"? I'm traveling for work at present, but did notice the Marathons in the area didn't have gas the other day (trying to gas up a fleet of vehicles for work).

Has anyone else noticed this or having problems? For myself, it was only a day and half issue it seemed (or what I noticed) but my cousin said it's been 3 weeks out there for an entire chain of Circle K's.

It's what I thought when he told/asked me. I just figured the 2 stations nearby work was ran out over being "overrun" with a few thousand pickups getting gas.... if it's another engineered "shortage" like 1973, we could be in serious trouble.

could just be a logistical problem. We have the gas, prices dropped a bit though, so everyone's bum rushing the pumps and deliveries are sure to be behind...
actually, we're hoggin it all !:P, but i think regional shortages are coming and not just gas..all manner of goods,,if not physicly (sic) short, the price will be inflated as to make it not worth buying..jmo.. Edited by rayz

I was hoping most weren't having issues. My only issue was the local station but I thought it was due to high demand not preplanned. I also know that I could count on my mentors on here to notice such things nationwide. Thanks All.

I recently brought my chainsaw in for service. It would not start. The service guy asked how old the gas was? I told him about two months. He said that they are having a rash of similar problems with gas more than thirty days old going bad. You can tell by smelling it.

Sure enough, that was my problem. You could really smell the difference! We put new gas in and it started right up.

How does one make any gas preparations when it goes bad after thirty days? The gas extender product Stabil apparently does not do much either. I have had to rethink some of my energy strategy now. It sure cuts down on one's options.

I recently brought my chainsaw in for service. It would not start. The service guy asked how old the gas was? I told him about two months. He said that they are having a rash of similar problems with gas more than thirty days old going bad. You can tell by smelling it.

Sure enough, that was my problem. You could really smell the difference! We put new gas in and it started right up.

How does one make any gas preparations when it goes bad after thirty days? The gas extender product Stabil apparently does not do much either. I have had to rethink some of my energy strategy now. It sure cuts down on one's options.

rod, i was in sears the other day and noticed craftsman sells a qt size can of premixed fuel, it claims to be good2 years after opening,

rod, i was in sears the other day and noticed craftsman sells a qt size can of premixed fuel, it claims to be good2 years after opening,

rayz, thanks a lot for that information! I will check into it at my local Sears.

I was really worried about fuel, not for my cars, but for the chain saw and log splitter. If worst comes to worst those would be my priorities. I need about five cords a year to heat and cook at my house and hand cutting that much would be a considerable chore. Thanks again!

My cousin, who is in New Mexico, asked me last night if any of the gas stations in my area was "out of gas"? I'm traveling for work at present, but did notice the Marathons in the area didn't have gas the other day (trying to gas up a fleet of vehicles for work).

Has anyone else noticed this or having problems? For myself, it was only a day and half issue it seemed (or what I noticed) but my cousin said it's been 3 weeks out there for an entire chain of Circle K's.

i don't know if it matters but circle K filed for bankruptcy the other day...

rayz, thanks a lot for that information! I will check into it at my local Sears.

I was really worried about fuel, not for my cars, but for the chain saw and log splitter. If worst comes to worst those would be my priorities. I need about five cords a year to heat and cook at my house and hand cutting that much would be a considerable chore. Thanks again!

Rod... While you are right it would be a pain to cut that much wood by hand, you may want to looki into getting the proper tools to do it. One never knows if things could go way bad or not. Another thought would be a wood shed and get ahead of the curve on your stock pile of wood.

On a different note...did you dose the gas with Stabil before putting it in the saw? I understand that the marine grade is stronger .... that might help.

Bump!!!

Heck with gasoline, I'm going to buy that samsung thingy down there. (NOT)

Can't eat it, car won't run on it. Maybe I can trade it if there's no power

for something useful.

I guess they actually pay people to invade sites and advertise

chit......

Edited by desert rat

Rod... While you are right it would be a pain to cut that much wood by hand, you may want to looki into getting the proper tools to do it. One never knows if things could go way bad or not. Another thought would be a wood shed and get ahead of the curve on your stock pile of wood.

On a different note...did you dose the gas with Stabil before putting it in the saw? I understand that the marine grade is stronger .... that might help.

I agree with you Partsman. I keep two separate five cord piles of wood. One on either side of the driveway. One for the current burning season and one seasoning for the next year.

I also picked up, a number of years ago, one of those five foot wood cutting saws with lance teeth. Great for cutting logs up into maul splitting sizes! Still, a lot of work!

I tried the Stabil at the end of last season on a fresh five gallon can of gas. No joy! Like I said, I will check into the permixes.

Hello from NM. Your cousin is right...several convenience stores are out of gas and now, out of business. Temporary or permanent I don't know. I believe it was a problem with the distributor not paying their bills. Also, I have noticed that the grocery shelves here at major grocery stores seem sorta slim. Do I read too much survival-after-the-collapse fiction or am I awake and seeing the signs of things to come. It's a good thing ImOnIt!

Welcome ..from Michigan

Do I read too much survival-after-the-collapse fiction or am I awake and seeing the signs of things to come. It's a good thing ImOnIt!

Your question is really a null point. THe very fact you see something, negates the reason why its happening. It is what it is. Its really doesnt matter why... and now you know you need to do 'something' to prevent being a victim.

Welcome ..from Michigan

Your question is really a null point. THe very fact you see something, negates the reason why its happening. It is what it is. Its really doesnt matter why... and now you know you need to do 'something' to prevent being a victim.

Very well put Navy.

Welcome ImOnIt and thanks for the info.

welcome ImOnIt, yup, things are certainly sliding downhill, quite evident just listening to the news and a little fore thought about possible outcomes that we are entering a new era- the Third World Welfare Era is what I'm calling it...

Something else I started using as a fuel addiitve is sea foam. Ive been thinking a lot too about long term fuel storage. I dont keep more than a few gallons on hand and rotate it out every month. Rod, stabil makes a fuel stabilizer specific for ethanol gas. I know that a lot of 2-cycle products have been having ethanol related probs

Sea foam is some good stuff.

A trick from the old days (1960's I know) was to drop a few mothballs into the gas tank to add octane. I don't know if this would cause any long term damage (never researched it myself) but it may help when gas goes bad. It's another possibility to help with storage issues.