Sign in to follow this  
DiscerningOne

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Hello,

I've been out of work for over 6 months and today I had a really good interview via Skype for a job in Bowling Green, KY. I've never been to Bowling Green or Kentucky, but, it sure sounds like a nice place (the community, the geography/topography, etc.). My son who's in the Marines has a friend that's from Kentucky. He says its very beautiful there.

What do you think of this location for a BIL? I'd like to hear from a real Kentuckian or anyone that's knowledgable about BIL's.

Thank you,

Discerning One

Not a bad place. I took my private pilot exam and flight at the airport there. You're within driving distance of Nashville for fun. Also close to lots of woods in the other direction. I think Kentucky has no tax on food, so that's a bonus. If you could stand living just a bit farther south you could be in TN which has no state tax.

There are a lot of backwater areas up that way to hide or get lost in. Visit the Chamber of Commerce website and ask for an info packet. Look into Cross Plains and Orlinda, TN. Small towns that are close enough to I-65 but not right on top of it. Nice area, good soil for crops, plenty of land for animals. Old homes (like 1800's old) that'll be able to go off grid pretty easy. Good people...

Down side.... Meth labs had been popping up in the area when I left in 2004. It's the new thing!

Most crime in the smaller towns is either that or traffic/alcohol related or domestic crap.

Oh! If you're a yankee, folks will tell you how awful your great great grandpa was to their great great grandpa! And remember, Sherman WAS Satan and Grant was a worthless drunk with a lot of luck.

Thank God I moved there from Memphis!

Last bonus I can think of: the Corvette is made there and the plant gives tours... Fun!

Ps- my avatar pic was actually taken in Springfield, just south of Cross Plains

That was a good day... First time shooting my EAA Witness

Edited by Hossfly

Hey Hossfly, Wow! That's a ton of useful information. My husband actually called the Bowling Green COC and they're sending us a packet of information. Thanks for mentioning the crop soil. I was trying to find out about that. I had read that the soil there is nutrient rich, but, also clay (the percentage of clay depending on where you live). I so want to grow my own food. I started an outdoor survival garden here in McKinney,TX, but, had to abandon it because of mosquitoes. I was getting severely bit by them -- I mean seriously! Even when taking all the precautions those buggers still tagged me within minutes. One time I was bitten so bad that my ankle and foot swelled up (you could hardly see my toes) and I couldn't walk and had fevers for over a week. This was back in July. Now the city is spraying for WNV.

Anyway, back to Kentucky: The history of Bowling Green is very interesting. I read that during the Civil War the citizens there sided with the North, but, then the Confederate soliders came to town and claimed it as their capitol city. As far as I know, my ancestors didn't fight in that war. Thanks for mentioning some of the other towns by name -- very helpful. I think back in 2004 every city was dealing with meth labs and related crimes. I'll try to get a hold of some crime reports. Hopefully things aren't so bad there now.

Hey Wally, The area I'm looking at seems to have everything I'd need for self-reliance, plus there's woods, hills, some rugged terrain, water, caves, and I wouldn't be totally isolated. I always thought the densely populated suburbs near cities like Houston, Dallas, LA, Chicago, etc., would be the death traps. I'm sorry, I'm still learning about locations and what to look for. So, could you please tell me why you said anything East of Mississippi will be tough when SHTF???

Thanks guys,

Discerning One

Nah, learning to fly is kind of a genetic trait in my family. Wish I'd taken it farther but I stopped at the Instrument rating when my daughter got sick. My head wasn't in the cockpit and that's how you get killed in a plane.

Do a web search for Mammoth Cave KY. And Cross Plains, TN is pretty much sitting on top of an underground world. If you're into spelunking, you couldn't find a better area. I'm not sure about Kentucky but I heard some of the folks in northern Middle Tenn say that the top soil is only six inches deep. Whatever, it seems to work pretty well. If you move there in the Fall, you're going to love the smell of the tobacco barns. Oh yeah, don't call 911 to report "the tenth barn fire in a mile!" They'll laugh at you. Don't ask how I know this. They cure the tobacco by heating and smoking it in a barn. Lots of history to explore. I miss it bad.

Hey Hossfly, Wow! That's a ton of useful information. My husband actually called the Bowling Green COC and they're sending us a packet of information. Thanks for mentioning the crop soil. I was trying to find out about that. I had read that the soil there is nutrient rich, but, also clay (the percentage of clay depending on where you live). I so want to grow my own food. I started an outdoor survival garden here in McKinney,TX, but, had to abandon it because of mosquitoes. I was getting severely bit by them -- I mean seriously! Even when taking all the precautions those buggers still tagged me within minutes. One time I was bitten so bad that my ankle and foot swelled up (you could hardly see my toes) and I couldn't walk and had fevers for over a week. This was back in July. Now the city is spraying for WNV.

Anyway, back to Kentucky: The history of Bowling Green is very interesting. I read that during the Civil War the citizens there sided with the North, but, then the Confederate soliders came to town and claimed it as their capitol city. As far as I know, my ancestors didn't fight in that war. Thanks for mentioning some of the other towns by name -- very helpful. I think back in 2004 every city was dealing with meth labs and related crimes. I'll try to get a hold of some crime reports. Hopefully things aren't so bad there now.

Hey Wally, The area I'm looking at seems to have everything I'd need for self-reliance, plus there's woods, hills, some rugged terrain, water, caves, and I wouldn't be totally isolated. I always thought the densely populated suburbs near cities like Houston, Dallas, LA, Chicago, etc., would be the death traps. I'm sorry, I'm still learning about locations and what to look for. So, could you please tell me why you said anything East of Mississippi will be tough when SHTF???

Thanks guys,

Discerning One

massive population to deal with there will be mass refugees everywhere trying to find food and water lots a nuke plants too

That's the good thing about Robertson County Tenn, just south of Kentucky... All of Nashville would most likely head south on 65 or 24 or east and west on I40... No reason to go north, which is anachronistic to a true Southerner anyway. The nuke plants in TN are in the southeast corner of the state. Illinois would be the worrisome ones. Fallout would come right across the area. The key (other than nuke fallout) is being back in the woods with nothing but a dirt road that looks unused coming out. There are places where you could hide away forever. Better be stocked up though. Not much snow, but when it does, it stays in the shady places for days and makes driving out hard.

If you think about a nuke attack though, you're screwed. I'm pretty sure Clarksville, TN is in the cross hairs. Home of the 101st Airborne.

Love Land Between the Lakes area! Wally? You ever been to Homeplace 1850? It's run by some college and the re-enactors actually live there and live life just like it's 1850. Good place to learn some good skills!

I guess it's still open.. Don't know. Been years since I was there, but it's just about my favorite place on earth in the Fall.

Ps- it is still open! http://www.friendsoflbl.org/Activities/HomeplaceSite.htm

Thanks guys, we’re staying in Texas. We do love it here and we know our community and the surrounding areas. Though more importantly to us is that Texas is a gun friendly state (so far anyway).

Kentucky really does look beautiful, but, I got spooked when I read that movie director/producer John Carpenter is from Bowling Green; and that the movie Halloween was filmed in Smith Grove -- the next town over. Every year Smith Grove celebrates Halloween by shutting down all traffic lanes to/from town.

But that’s nothing. It was when I was looking at places to live outside of Bowling Green that I got creeped out. I couldn’t figure out the housing market – why are there so many homes for sale and how could there be such drastic differences in the price and quality of homes within the same neighborhood. I mean there are homes selling for half a million dollars and down the same street another one selling for $40-$50K.

Then I remembered what Hossfly said about Kentucky’s 2004 meth lab & crime problems. Some of those houses looked pretty dark (as in evil). And for some reason what I was seeing reminded me of that movie “The Road.” I started thinking of cannibals wanting to eat us and I could hear that little boy’s voice saying, “papa, papa.” Lol

Funny my husband was thinking the exact same thing. He didn’t say anything to me until after we found out that the job in Kentucky had been filled. We had a really good laugh.

Seriously though, I agree with Wally. Kentucky doesn’t seem like the best place to be when SHTF. There’s just too much disparity and it’s surrounded by too many other states that have their own laws.

Edited by DiscerningOne
typos