Sign in to follow this  
gunna

teen needs some help.

Let’s start out with some basic info on me. I’m 15. I believe strongly that prepping is a necessity. Especially because of everything happening in Libea and the “hackdafists” who hacked the banks. My parents don’t approve of prepping at all. Therefore I have no support.

I’ve been taking some food (ramen noodles, oatmeal and such) little by little so they wouldn’t notice for my bug out bag. I also have very little money and don’t currently have a job, so supplies are hard to come by.

My main question is in my situation what can I do to become a better prepper?

Also any tips you can give a young guy like me

Best thing you can do right now, in my opinion, is read. Learn different skills, and how to apply them. Save up what little money you get for a few things. There is an area here on the website called "5 Dollar Preps" that you may want to look into. Keep your mind and body in shape. When you save up some money you can always get a case or two of ramen when your parents are out. Water too. Look for sales and look at the grocery ads that come in the mail. LEARN. When all else fails expand your current knowledge base.

Maybe do odd-jobs around the neighborhood or something for a little extra cash. I'd be careful if I were you about all this though. Sometimes when us kids do something out parents don't approve of (even things like prepping) they will try to get rid of all the stuff we have accumulated. wouldn't want that to happen, now would we?

Maybe show them things from FEMA and the Government about having x amount of food or water on hand in case of disaster. Floods, earthquake, tornado etc. But try it when they are in a more agreeable mood.

Good luck bud.

Edited by William Tell

Sounds like you're on the right track to me. If you do not have any income, then concentrate on LEARNING. Build your survival skillset by doing things like camping, hiking, fishing, firearms training, self defense/martial arts, and maybe something you can get paid for, like carpentry, auto mechanics,or maybe learn cooking...not only are these valuable survival skills, but if you have any of these skills, you would be a welcome addition to any community/group.

Gunna, the folks have given you some great ideas which ought to keep you busy for a month or two. Some say that knowledge is power. I disagree. Knowledge plus Action equals Power. You know that there are many Internet available where you can obtain knowledge so start reading now. And after gaining some knowledge your question becomes, “How do I put it to action?”

Doing odd jobs is a good idea. But if you really want to ‘prepare’ for the future, hone your bartering skills now. WilliamTell gave you sound advice by recommending that you do odd jobs. You can also do those odd jobs for prepping gear. Maybe someone has an old but serviceable back pack. Do a job and have the payment be the back pack… or food for storage… or contained for drinking water storage… or whatever you need.

Also, find some people that are into prepping and see if you can ‘help’ them prepare. You will gain knowledge, build a network and possibly have a team with whom you can join if and when bad things happen. If you see a weakness in their preparations, study that deficit and become an expert on that subject. Then you can help them bridge that gap. Since you don’t have excessive money, gain knowledge and put that knowledge to work helping those around you. When you become a necessary member of the group, half the challenge is done.

Good luck!

Ramen noodles don't travel well dude but instant oatmeal is great! You have the right idea, just do what you can. Learning truly is the first thing, keep at what you can, maybe you can tell you parents you want to get into camping and hiking and get some gear

All good advice, here is my 2 cents worth, make a plan. What is the most likely diaster to occur where you live? Stastically it's a house fire, severe storm, or flood.

You say you have a bug out bag, that's great but, where are you going to go? Make a plan. Is there a American Red Cross chapter near you, they have great information on local diasters & great training classes on many subjects.

Being prepared is being informed. Make specific plans & then practice them.

gunna,

Josh and I did a series of articles under the heading of 'teenaged survival' that I think might help.

http://survivalcache.com/teenage-survival/

There are some good suggestions from Josh who is also a teenager. I'd suggest that you read those 3 articles and then ask any unanswered questions you might have. We'll all be glad to help out.

Let’s start out with some basic info on me. I’m 15. I believe strongly that prepping is a necessity. Especially because of everything happening in Libea and the “hackdafists” who hacked the banks. My parents don’t approve of prepping at all. Therefore I have no support.

I’ve been taking some food (ramen noodles, oatmeal and such) little by little so they wouldn’t notice for my bug out bag. I also have very little money and don’t currently have a job, so supplies are hard to come by.

My main question is in my situation what can I do to become a better prepper?

Also any tips you can give a young guy like me

In a way.. more of what you're already doing. No money, no support, its tough. But sticky fingers can go a long way for to get your basics together. Im not saying do anything illegal. But like u said. A pack of Oatmeal, basically scimming food and materials. Just remember youre basics to get started. Fire, Water, Food, SHelter. If you cant get a good survival/hunting knife, take one out of the kitchen. Im sure you can get your hands on some matches n lighter. If you cant buy paracord (its pretty cheap) A plain Nylon rope or Cotton string is of course good too. But i think one of the key things for you to remember is to keep your stash secret, and your efforts quiet.

I know hhow it feels being young (Im only 17) and not having any money or support in prepping but beleive it or not you are already more prepared than most people seeing as how you are at least thinking about survival but seeing as how were close to the same age and situation feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions and if i dont have the answer to your question I will try my hardest too find an answer for you and welcome to the site brother

capt I was reffering to more private things when I said that one thing adults tend to forget about is the drama that comes with teen life which is pushed even further when people find out your into prepping

ZM and Gunna, I won't reiterate the same great ideas already given but one thing I have found to help with the perception problem...

You can always "hide" your preps in plain sight by participating in certain clubs and organizations which will allow you to prep "openly" but remain gray at the same time. The Boy Scouts has been brought up several times by very intelligent People on here and another organization is Civil Air Patrol if they have a local unit near you. Other things that you can use to build skills would be re-enacting or living history groups, whether they are medieval or Colonial American (examples only). These may get you labeled a "nerd" by some but they are great resources to find teachers and mentors willing to share their knowledge for free, especially with the younger generation. Remember, that sword play or fighting off an attack by marauding hostiles was just a small part of life back then (even if that's what 90% of the books are about) and it may even get your families on board; sort of. Events are family friendly and oriented, so everyone can participate.

I read on another thread about one of the wise sages on this forum being "thought of as a nerd" (even if by his own thought) and he is a very worthy mentor and role model.

Hey Gunna, like you I started prepping young, however I was a bit older. I am 18 and started prepping about a year and half or so ago. Prep according to your situation, environment, and what you believe is the most likely situation you think would occur in your area. Be it something local like a power outtage or more widespread like a hurricane, or something on a national level like an economic collapse. Decide what is most likely to happen and prepare for that first. The most important thing you can do right now, in my opinion, is gain knowledge. How do you do that? Read. The reason why is you will need to know what you need to do to prepare and create a survivalists mindest. What should you read? Read through threads in this forum, and when you can order this book: http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Survival-Manual-Surviving-Economic/dp/9870563457 and read his blog here: ferfal.blogspot.com/

It will be hard for you to network since your so young, but you might have friends that have grown up around guns or preparedness that you can learn from. Keep your preps a secret, in a few years you'll be out of the house and either on your own or in college, so just make it last. Do odd jobs and start earning money to buy preps, or get a part time job or do chores for your parents. I'd say once you turn 16 start working out and getting in shape, start to bulk up on muscle and do cardio. You'll need to be fit to survive when the SHTF, and as you know, most Americans are far from fit, if you are American.

So three things,

Mind - Read, read, read. And then apply that knowledge in real life. Whether its techniques on survival or what to buy for your survival kit, even if its just about learning how the world works or what history has taught us.

Body - Start working out, you'll shed some weight as well. A great website to help you get started is bodybuilding.com . As long as you have time and dedicaiton theirs no limit to what you can become.

Finances - In order to buy that gym membership, get those books, and buy that gear for your survival kit, you'll need to work. But remember, most of the resources I have showed you are free and online, including this website.

Lastly, since you're young, you should probably start learning how the world works. I started when I was your age. Check out this video, it's short, doesn't go tooo in-depth, it has jokes, its cartoony, but it shows you in a short time frame what part of our situation is, and personally why I prep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWH5TlbloU

Edited by Rapture333

Not sure on your location, but if its at all feasible, set up a cache somewhere safe to hide your preps. Firearms and blades can wait, get stuff together that isn't dangerous such as your navigation items, and maps. Water filters, flashlights, etc. they may be prepping items but they can't hurt to have. If its so deep that you "can't have" that kind of stuff, I'm very sorry. Just wait I guess.

Just a random, sleep deprived idea. Check out Backpacking. Many schools including high schools and community colleges have backpacking courses, and I am pretty sure there are a few backpacking/outdoors clubs around just about any city. Since alot of stuff for backpacking can double as a "prepping" item, maybe you could get into that. things like tents, backpacks/ruck sacks, hell even water filters and purification are all necessities of backpacking AND prepping.

If there is a community college course or high school club etc, maybe your parents would even be willing to help finance some of it since it will be for an "extracurricular activity".

I've mentioned this before <unless I deleted it for some reason>, check out scouting. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Explorers whatever. Can give you a chance to get a tent, ruck, knife and some basic gear all with parental approval. Also can give you a chance to practice some of your woodcraft skills.

I've mentioned this before <unless I deleted it for some reason>, check out scouting. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Explorers whatever. Can give you a chance to get a tent, ruck, knife and some basic gear all with parental approval. Also can give you a chance to practice some of your woodcraft skills.

What this guy said! ^^^^^ haha!

I'm 19 and I just barely started prepping myself, the best you can do in my opinion, since you already know you want to prep, is find income, and like everyone else has been saying, hone in on all available skills. Read, don't watch Fox news, and keep an open mind. :)

Couldn't agree more with you Autonomous. What you said about credit and debt is extremely true, and unfortunately most people my age don't get that and end up in a slurry of college debt. Also what you said about cardio is extremely true, especially in my case XD, I need to get back on the cardio train.

Couldn't agree more with you Autonomous. What you said about credit and debt is extremely true, and unfortunately most people my age don't get that and end up in a slurry of college debt. Also what you said about cardio is extremely true, especially in my case XD, I need to get back on the cardio train.

ZombieLand....Rule#1...Cardio

Yea I'm late too but since there are new posts why not.

My version of Cardio is going to be different from the younger generations, but it more or less keeps me from getting too darn soft. I miss the days of a 5 mile run, today I would be doing good to walk that far and avoid it at all costs. But my cheep garage sale treadmill lets me get in some without beating up the joints as bad. The rest of my workout equipment is as simple as a good chinning bar set up in the back yard and a climbing rope hung from a large oak tree. And no, I'm not as religious about it as I once was and it shows.

What I'm trying to say here is it's easier to break those good habits you may form then you might want to believe. That's part of the irony of life, the only habits that are easily broken are the ones that are good for you like diet and getting in a good cardio workout. And I used to hate it when old people would tell me crap like this, but it really is damn hard to get back on track once you slack off and put on an extra 50 pounds or more. But only you can decide what's best for you and I will let it go at that.

As for these parents being against a little prepping, I'm not going to be polite, I say HOGWASH!!!

If you believe in prepping then do what you can, skip that quick lunch at McNasties and eat an apple or banana with some water to tide you over if your hungry, it's better for you anyway. Look at all the ways your spending your money and figure out what you can get by for less on. A penny saved is a penny earned, and that's very true, sure a penny may not buy much but it only takes 100 of them to make a dollar, and yesterday I saw Vienna Sausages (some off brand) at Dollar General 4 cans for just 99 cents. Those pennies to add up, and the goal is to get your basics covered so you can survive if something happens. Yea I know, everyone wants to survive with T-bone steaks and have custom knives and such. But when the time comes you will be glad to have Vienna Sausages or Beanie-Weenies. Any knife that will hold an edge will do in a pinch, it doesn't have to be expensive and I find good ones at garage sales all the time for a dollar or two. If you can't get your hands on some paracord then get some cheap nylon rope until you can get what you want.

Look at it this way and maybe it will put some perspective on things. I'm a mechanic, as a result I own quite a few tools as well as some shop equipment. I didn't wake up one morning and decide to buy all of that, I acquired it all over a lifetime of getting what I could afford when I could afford it and based upon the needs of the moment. Not all of it was bought new either, but every last bit of it is mine and paid for. Sometimes it wasn't easy, but I was careful not to get too far into debt at one time and paid cash as often as I could reserving the credit line for what I absolutely had to have right then. And it all started with a $50.00 basic tool set from Montgomery Wards.

You can get there, but don't get discouraged that you can't have it all right now. Just do the best you can with what you have available and think things through before you spend your money. Ask yourself if this is what you have to have, or can you get by with spending less and still accomplish your goal.