Sign in to follow this  
DiscerningOne

Leadership vs. Group Consensus: Is our society breeding indecisive wimps?

I hope you don’t mind my sharing some more on Big Data. There’s just too much going on right now that could impact our lives and our freedom. Sometimes I wonder if all the hype about the latest software technology is just some sick way for the powers that be to cause chaos and distraction. I know so many people that always seem to be scrambling to keep up. But, that’s another subject. What I really want to share with you now has to do with some alarming ways in which big data is currently being used.

Personality assessments are nothing new, but, with the emergence of Big Data and the latest tools for predictive analytics, more companies and people are relying on computer algorithms to make their decisions for them.

Below is a link to an article I read on Big Data and workplace management. This article really ticked me off. It talks about the use of behavioral assessment tests by companies when hiring hourly (minimum / low wage) workers. I don’t punch a clock or work in a blue collar field, but, never the less, I don’t like what’s happening here. I’ve personally noticed in the last year that more managers in my profession (IT / Corporate Services) are relying on group consensus for their hiring decisions. I miss the old days where you met with the boss and if he/she liked you (your character, personality, skills, etc.) you were in. The staff respected the boss’s decision (assuming this individual had integrity) and everyone made an effort to welcome the newcomer and work together in a professional way despite any prejudice or personal differences.

So why are more managers now basing their hiring decisions on group consensus and psychological / personality tests? Do they lack decision-making skills and confidence? Are they afraid they’ll make the wrong decision, and if so, why? When thinking about these questions, set aside budget & cost constraints as an excuse for being overly cautious (especially when it comes to contract work where there are no company benefits or training costs involved). I personally think most (if not all) of this is a reflection of our current culture and the lack of true leadership within our general population. Like I said, this trend scares me because I’m seeing more people in positions of authority that don’t know how to lead, critically think, or decide on their own.

Now we have simple hard-working folk being subjected to the latest psychological profile tests. These employment tests are basically designed to weed out the so-called “undesirables” for that particular company or job. It may be people that think too much (like me), ask too many questions (like me), care too much about others (like me), have personal debt (like me), travel so many miles to/from job site, and so on. It all depends on the type of job as to which human qualities or facts of life are considered troublesome by an employer. Don’t get me wrong, I know employers must be weary of bad people (the liars, thieves, terrorists, and psychopaths), but, I’m not talking about this. What I’m talking about is machines vs. the human brain and heart for basic decision-making. If this trend continues to grow or if test designers, deliberately or inadvertently, cross the line into certain “isms” (e.g. racism, sexism, ageism), I’ve no doubt we’ll be hearing about some very interesting discrimination lawsuits. That is, unless we no longer have any anti-discrimination, EEO, or civil rights left when this time comes.

Discerning One

Article: Walker, J. (2012, Sept). Meet The New Boss: Big Data. The Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443890304578006252019616768.html

DiscerningOne,

The answer to your heading title is an emphatic "YES", I'm sorry to say. Thank you for the link - some of the most predictable folks in world are those who always follow the lead of the 'they' that take care of them.

I grew up with a 'ride for the brand' mentality but that meant the 'brand' was worth riding for; if it wasn't, you quit. The current attempts at turning the US into an Asian style village where everyone acts the same is scary. It is a "1984" style society in spades.

When the economy falls apart, will the folks return to individuality or become even more sheeple? I wish I knew - no, wait, maybe I wouldn't like the answer.

Thanks for the post.

Yes

Most of the populace ie. Sheeple go through life just trying to pay bills, with tunnel-vision, blinding them to the environment beyond thier door/work. Not having to make decisions for anyone or anything beyond themselves or family.

When the economy falls apart, will the folks return to individuality or become even more sheeple? QUOTE]

Theres a saying that leaders are born of Fire. In such a situation I believe there will be a rift open, revealing the Wolves and the Sheep. Those who rise as Wolves have an instinct (not just gear) for survival that the Sheep do not.

Edited by NavyVet_77

Group Consensus in the history of the world has never lasted, nor will it ever, in my opinion.(and experience)

I believe those who espouse a GC or group think process, or merely trying to manipulate the masses into believing they can contribute valuable ideas, when the course of action has already been set and established by the leader.

Not to sound sexist...even though I know it will.

I have worked for various state agencies. One problem I noticed in several of them were women division or department heads.

This is the reason why:

Women as a whole tend to be more group oriented, they don't 'rule' by decree the way men do. They try to 'rule' by consensuses or what will make the group happy as a whole.

Theres a saying that leaders are born of Fire. In such a situation I believe there will be a rift open, revealing the Wolves and the Sheep. Those who rise as Wolves have an instinct (not just gear) for survival that the Sheep do not.

A movie I saw (think it was Robin Hood) had a quote;

"Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions."