Sign in to follow this  
GotTurbo

Picking the right bug out vechile

I am new to the forum, but have been doing alot of reading to pick the right bug out vechile for my family and myself. I currently live in queens of New york which is heavly populated. So i want something i can modify to push,winch cars out of the way.

The 2 questions I have is do I spend more money and purchase something more new or buy something older and save more cash for other supplies. Which ever one I purchase the truck will get heavy duty bull bar, lift kit, upgraded rubber, winch, roof racks with lighting all around, trailer hitch cargo rack, side rails

I am looking at 2008- 2012 Toytoa Fj Cruiser, 2008 - 2012 Nissan Xterra or 1992 - 1996 Ford Bronco. What are some pros to the newer vechile. Also what is everyones oppion on 2 door vs. 4 door?

Any suggestions on any other trucks that might work would also be awesome.

I feel that 2WD vehicles are better for defensive driving, aka abrupt U-turns using the e-brake, getting out of certain situations. On the other hand 4WD is far better for off roading. As for 2 vs 4 doors, how much gear will you be hauling? And do you have a family? I know for Jeep Wranglers the 4 door version has a much lower roll over rate because of the platform, you could also stick some more people in there. For me, if you have passengers in a 2 door vehicle, and for some reason you need to exit quickly, say your under fire, in danger, etc. Do you know how hard it is going to be for those guys in the back seat to get out? I would go with 4 doors, plus they're usually safer. Consider a jeep liberty or wrangler unlimited, you can get aftermarket steel bumpers that you can use to push cars out of the way. STEEL, not aluminum, i've seen aluminum replacement bumpers, not what your looking for. Also I know you can get a winch on your steel bumper for jeeps. Carid.com is a great place to look for aftermarket parts for each of your potential vehicles. I'd also highly recommend getting Llumar safety tint, you can get it clear or tinted, it will keep the glass together during crashes, it has the ability to stop some .22's, and if someone took a baseball bat to your windshield it will hold. Although you'll have glass spidering to worry about, i'd much rather have that than shards of glass in my face.

My goal is a M1009..

check out this site .

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=180016

.and you can see them on Ebay and other places(u tube)..around $3000..to $6000..

compare the fact that they are Military and have a 24 volt system..and the cost..

$18,000..comparied to about $8000.00 completley done with lift kit and best tires..that $10,000 worth of other things you may need..

Oh Ya ..Welcome to the forums..

With looking at the xterra or fj cruiser it gave me the capability to drive it every day. That's why I was originally looking at a newer truck. How many people drive there m1009 every day?

What is the difference between m1009 and chevy blazer/ ford brunco? Does the m1009 come in any other color other then camoflaug? Is there more of a concern for buying a m1009 and mechanical issues due to age and wear and tear from previous owner? For the fear of emp how would the m1009 fair?

I drive my m1009 CUCV every day the difference between the CUCV and the k5 blazer is 2000 lb's of reinforced frame, larger fuel tank, 6.2 detroit multi fuel diesel, pull bars frame mounted shackles, 12/24 volt isolated electrical system with built in 24v eletrical isolators, built in weapons rack, heavy duty radio mount for AM and FM 12 and 24v radios, heavy duty 24v starter and reguires 0 electricity to run after it is started. The Blazer body has zero frills so mods, mounting equipment, and racks is easy and the heavy duty truck suspension make it one tough SOB and its combo pintle/ball trailer hitch allows me to snag any trailer I need and go and yes I also own a few heavy duty military trailers to go with them two M105a2s, M101a2 and I recently added two water buffalo's one of which is being converted for fuel storage and hauling I buy direct from DRMO an so far only spent about $6,300 total for all of it. If you read some of the older threads here there are pics and more info on my CUCV's also I threw smitty built MOLLE seat covers on my for more storage and organization with the K5 body and 12v system part are relatively easy and cheap to find

Edited by warrior7r

warrior7r thanks for all the info on the differences. if you could send me those links that would be awesome.if you could also include links/photos of your truck that would be awesome.

I was also looking today and an e350 van with a 4x4 conversion for carrying all the family memebers I need. Truthly I need both the m1009 and the ee350 for all family members and gear.