William Tell

Simple shelter

Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone had seen something that im going to try to describe. While reading a book called wilderness survival, shelters were a topic. There was a particular style "cabin" illustrated. It used 14 posts, that kind of set up in thecorners in groups of 3. Then more logseere layed horizontally and any gaps filled with a mud/straw mixture. It was at a local bookstore, but is now gone, and i cant find the detail plans anywhere. Can someone post me a link or .jpg of what im talking about? I just cant remember how to accurately draw it out to use at a laterdate. Thanks for bearing with me.

Oooo, my bad! I thought you were asking about shelters. Was half asleep when I read your post.

Shouldn't be to hard to find diagram or schematic. Sounds like what's called a corner post log cabin instead

of the logs being notched and lapped.

The plans I saw for one before had 16 posts...door way was in a corner.

Found a youtube video of what I think you want...mind you this one is very rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nShFE45FGws

The one I saw before was better constructed and the front was higher than the back for water run off. Gaps between the logs had been filled with mud grass mix. The person who had built it had taken some time to make it much more habitable.

The plans I saw for one before had 16 posts...door way was in a corner.

Found a youtube video of what I think you want...mind you this one is very rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nShFE45FGws

The one I saw before was better constructed and the front was higher than the back for water run off. Gaps between the logs had been filled with mud grass mix. The person who had built it had taken some time to make it much more habitable.

Thanks Bayern!this was pretty much the same thing i was looking for. Its alot smaller, but pretty much the same :P thanks again!

WT, Here's you a link for a selection of shelters. When you said cabin, I thought "cabin".

Search through the shelters, I believe the link is directly to the shelters.

I also suggest you click on Home and search through the site. It's very informative on

survival in the bush.

I believe you'll enjoy this site as well as others! You can also learn to make a fire with a

soda can and chocolate bar if you wish.

dr

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/shelter/index.html

WT, Here's you a link for a selection of shelters. When you said cabin, I thought "cabin".

Search through the shelters, I believe the link is directly to the shelters.

I also suggest you click on Home and search through the site. It's very informative on

survival in the bush.

I believe you'll enjoy this site as well as others! You can also learn to make a fire with a

soda can and chocolate bar if you wish.

dr

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/shelter/index.html

Thanks Dr!

sounds like a new mexico goat herders shelter. 16 poles, and it backs into a cliff of baked clay . a hermits hideaway. great for getting away to with a gf and a bottle of wine and a sleeping bag... especailly if it is well constructed and had a small fireplace you can insert a cast iron tube stove into it to keep it warm and cozy in the fall and winter.. hogan i think is what they call it. native built shelter ... worth building one for sure..

I looked at the site's scout pit, and well, it better be all done at night, with the escavated dirt well hidden. Seemed way to elaborate/time-consuming to me, too likely to get you noticed while you are setting it up. Sort of negates its value if you get sniped while creating it. :-) I can see a bit of digging (at night) , but then go with a very low debris shelter over/around the sleeping gear. 

give me a hole in the ground, for all but flood-prone areas. I worked out a very lw, compact shelter/sleep-kit that suffices otherwise. If you live in cold country, the only serious answer, if shtf, is to gtfo, where there's a year round growing season, taking non hybrid seeds, so you can use sprouts and root veggies, after getting thru the first 6 months of the pure hell that shtf is going to be. You can easily cover 100 miles per night on pavement with a bicycle and NVD goggles., or drift a raft 1000 miles in a month.

primitive shelter, a small, low one, is a good idea for your fire, but they leak and take too much time/activity for covering your body, A hammock with a rain-fly is a lot more like what's needed, until you can get underground. If you've already got some spiderholes set up, one night's horizontal tunneling will  get you a place to lay, a few more nights of such work and you'll have another lid that you can pop out of, if you detect men or dogs messing with your other lid. You can then put a silenced .22 into 3-4 of them before any others realize what's going on.

you can dig a spiderhole in a day, to include hiding the excavated dirt, and concealing the fiberglass cover that you hauled into the site. If somebody finds it, prior to shtf, they'll think nothing of it. If shtf, get into it and start tunneling horizontally.  You can do 6 ft per day and hide the dirt.  So, in a week, you can have another vertical shaft and lid, 30 ft away from the first. If you detect people or dogs messing with one lid,  you pop out of the other and silently shoot them. A .22lr noisemaker at each lid will let you sleep in peace.  For post shtf, while you are not occupying the tunnel,  a surprise can be rigged to the lids, too. The vietcong lived in tunnels for 30 years. You can manage it for year, coming out only at night. By then, nearly everyone will be dead, making it much safer to do what you have to do (in daylight).