Sign in to follow this  
camdogs88

Training Dvd's, your thoughts?

Hey Crew! I was looking through the forum and didn't see a training or tactics section. I have been a fan or Travis Hayley and Chris Costa for quite some time(some can talk trash about them and that is okay with me). I own the Art of the dynamic handgun and the art of the tactical carbine 1&2. The pistol and the second carbine one taught me a lot about shooting and helped improve my grip tremendously and teach me things I had never considered. Since Travis has gone off on his own now, I have been following him on Youtube and keeping up with his projects.

Now for the question. Has anyone purchased Travis's adaptive dvds from panteo, and if so what were your thoughts? Even better if you can compare and contrast to the magpul series. Thanks!

If you are interested in how to become a better shooter I enjoyed the pistol video quite a bit and would highly recommend it.

Since this is my first thread, I hope I didn't do anything silly or break any rules I wasn't aware of. Have a good weekend, whats left of it!

-Cams

Since this is my first thread, I hope I didn't do anything silly or break any rules I wasn't aware of. Have a good weekend, whats left of it!

-Cams

Nope, not one single silly thing or rule broken. You'll have to try harder next time;) .

I've not seen those particular videos, thanks for the short review. I've run across at least 4 types of "training" DVD.

First is the not so deliberate training DVD. That would be the Dual Survival and Survival Man type thing. Survivalist message and skills but not precisely a training DVD. Some good, some (Bear Gills' stuff) not so good and occasionally just plain wrong/dangerous (like climbing a waterfall, solo).

Secondly is the advertisements for more DVDs. I HATE this stuff. "37 things that will disappear from stores" kind of thing. I think that was the name of it. All you had to do was buy the DVD so you could be told to buy his other stuff. I've been suckered on a few of these - now I'm a little more careful from whom I buy stuff.

Thirdly is the short training stuff. Things like "Personal Defense" TV series (now on DVD) contain a lot of quick, short tips on how to defuse/handle situations. Presented by serious pros from places like "Front Site" and "Thunder Ranch" this is good stuff. Not a detailed "how to use a carbine" but more of a "how to survive a road rage encounter".

Fourth is the serious, two week course from places like Thunder Ranch, Front Site and others. I've not tried any of them but I'm seriously looking buying some. I've not had any seriously formal education in quite a while and it might be time to add some.

The final and best is probably the actual courses at the actual place, of course. But this is about DVDs so is mildly off topic. I've heard good things about a lot of places. I include the Appleseed folks in this category. Weekend courses are good, especially since I can spend a weekend easier than a week.

Just my not so humble opinion.

A couple that I have are Close Combat Training by Captain Chris and Target-Focus Training by Tim Larkin.

The set I have by Captain Chris is a 4 DVD pak that I found to be interesting. Tim Larkin has a large number of DVDs available and the mind set is first rate.

I think the important thing to keep in mind with any training program is the primary fact.... YOU are the weapon.....how to use it....when.....and to what degree...is all YOU. If You are not committed, then just run like hell.