Sign in to follow this  
William Tell

Full size crossbow vs pistol grip

Hey all, just wondering abut crossbows. My lady has been wanting to get a bow, but doesnt quite have the strength for a full size longbow like what i have. So we figured we'd get het a crossbow. I have never shot one, and have no idea of the advantages and disadvantages of each. Was thinking maybe a cobra 80lbs self cocking, but i hearthat the string breaks easily and sometimes the bow itself does. Any good pistolgrip or full size bows under about 150 bubcks you guys know of, and the pros and cons in terms of pistolgrip? Thanks gang!

You may want to pick up the October issue of Field & Stream. On page 93 is an article on entry-level crossbows. It should be a good start on deciding which one would work for your wife. Talk to the sporting goods stores that are selling and servicing crossbows and find out what they suggest then look for users who will clue you in on the pros & cons of the crossbows they are using. If possible try out the ones that you are interested in....keeping in mind that there will be a learning curve for each one. Something you should decide on is what exactly is the purpose of the crossbow.....hunting is different from close protection or target shooting. A crossbow that would be quick & deadly at 20 feet would not likely provide the same results at 20 or 30 yards. Good luck with your search.

A decent crossbow runs around $300 and up. The ones you see advertised under $200 are junk (I know because I bought one a couple of years ago...last two weeks before it came apart). Check out Craigslists for your area, pawn shops or Armslist, you may find a good used bow at an affordable price.

I agree with mebanecop. I would stay away from cheap ones. Would your lady be better off with a recurve with a 35# draw maybe? I have a barnett crossbow but Im looking at recurve bows for me and my wife. Less moving parts