Sign in to follow this  
Dangerwolfe

FOR SELF-DEFENSE: .22 BEATS .45.....not sayin' it does but....

Hi folks,

Here is a vid that got my attention:

http://www.wnd.com/wnd_video/for-self-defense-22-beats-45/

I did not research this guy's credentials, and yes the presentation/music is annoying but I found the information/arguments presented interesting even though body armor was not mentioned.....

So what do some of you more experienced shooters think?

Wolfe

22LR..ok so they work better with a silencer....I..Dont want a silencer...

The fact that the muzzle of a 22lr does not move UP as much as a .45apc is why people think you can get more rounds off faster!

I only need to hit you once with in 30 ft to KNOCK your ass down with a .45apc..

It takes practice to control and the defenceive weapon should MATCH you personaly..

My Paws Match just fine to my1911...

and I can get the brass reloaded..CANT with 22lr..

JMO..

Anyone who "practices" can be deadly with a .22 caliber.

Recoil can be considered, as far as getting many rounds off.

Yep, 22s are cheaper, but like Matt said, throw a 1/2" pebble

at someone then throw a brick. See which gets thier attention

the most.

Thank for the feedback gents,

I have a 9mm S&W 5906 stainless, 14 in the box and 1 in the hole (15 rounds total).....at home in California. Probably put at least 4k rounds through her....a while ago.

Fabulous pistol, but don't have that option here.

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

any bullet has a chance of killing someone, the difference is how quickly do you want that threat to stop attacking you. Id rather use a bullet that i know will have the greatest chance of dropping a bad guy quick than just hoping that a tiny little hole will deter him or just piss him off

Here's some data on the Mossad preferred .22 LR mentioned in the video:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-weapons/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/

"According to a reliable source in Israel, the .22-caliber Beretta 70 was taken out of service in the mid 1970s and was replaced by a 9mm Beretta."

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

The other side of the coin..I have a 22Mag bolt...I have owned and fired it for 40 years +..its my first real rifle..

The ground hog population in Penn.suffered a great lose when I lived there..100yards and Im dead on..

BUT at 30 foot its not what I want in my hand..

just saving..pick and use what is Comfortable for you..

A hit with a .22 LR is far better than a miss with anything else. There are NO magic bullets in .45 or anything else in a handgun. I have been on scene of a great many homicides in my time in law enforcement and if memory serves me correctly, about 45% of them were with the "lowly" .22, followed by .380 then a small percentage of everything else.

That was ONLY in the agencies I worked in, I have found that in each geographical area, people prefer different firearms.

While we have multiple .22 pistols, we prefer something in a larger caliber for daily carry. I would much rather have "only" a .22 than a baseball bat. Just my opinion, hot air and all.

While not arguing with Malcolm's point, think about it this way. What percentage of people who are shot with a .22lr die? Of those, how many die BEFORE they can do mean, nasty things to the person that shot them?

From my perspective, when I absolutely needed it, the biggest gun I could put my hands on was NOT BIG ENOUGH! It got the job done but I would have preferred a howitzer. I suspect so many people are killed with .22's simply because there are so many .22's out there. I'd be amazed if there were a great many deaths attributed to the .50 AE or S&W .500. Not because they are not extremely lethal but because they are extremely rare.

The gun you have is infinitely better than the gun you don't have when you need one. With that said, the biggest caliber you can carry and shoot well will be the caliber that bests assures your survival. The Scandinavian guide who carried a .22 revolver to scare off the bears if they got too close was found partially eaten. The result might have been the same with a .44 Mag but I suspect the bigger gun would have been the more appropriate choice.

People are killed with .22's and .380's and .38spl and .357 Mag and 9mm and .... because that is what the public owns and carries. The LEO's went from .38 to .357 when the .38 started getting officers killed. The 9 mm is being replaced by the .40 because the bad guys are wearing armor and the 9 isn't getting the job done quickly enough any more. It is not the guy who shoot first that wins. It is not even the guy who shoots the first fatal bullet that wins. It is the guy who shoots the first fight stopping bullet that wins a gun fight.

Carry what you can handle and what you can carry everywhere; just don't delude yourself that your .22 is as efficient a fight stopper as a .45 ACP. Better than nothing but not the most efficient fight stopping round.

post-6-13851498239119_thumb.jpg

Just my not so humble opinion.

getting hit by a 22 'may' take the fight out of a intruder but if it doesnt you can keep your weapon pointed at him, very little recoil, and fire again if needed, how ever as i was once told by a friend even grandma can recover from the recoil of a 45 faster than the intruder can get back up, assuming that he is able.