Sign in to follow this  
William Tell

Mix it Up

I have to say in my experience that the greatest thing anyone can do for self defense is mix things up. Its not enough to just know Tae-qwon-do, or kung-fu or any other style. Each style of fighting, street fighting included, has its disadvantages.

I trained in Mixed Martial Arts for a couple of years, and I can say that my greatest asset to me in a fight is versatility. That does not mean I will always come out on top. I have no illusions that there is always going to be a bigger fish out there, no matter how good I can ever get. That said, here is my list of good martial arts, and fighting disciplines. This is not an Exhaustive list. These are just my opinions, and by no means am I an "Expert."

First off, Muay Thai. This is a great art to learn. Nicknamed "The art of 8 points" meaning there are 8 major points with which to hit your opponent. Two fists, Two elbows, Two knees, two feet. Muay Thai is great for its conditioning and for its versatility in offense. It also incorporates the knees, shins, and elbows into its defensive styles. Hitting someone with an elbow is not only going to hurt a lot worse, its also unorthodox and can catch someone off guard more readily than say a punch. Muay Thai also has some standing grappling, such as a cinch, which make using your knees even more effective and at times, deadly. In my opinion this is one of the best martial arts someone could learn. Its brutal, its powerful, and all around a good striking art.

Secondly, Brazilian Jujitsu. Never under estimate the importance of ground combat. More often than not, fights I have been in ended up on the ground at some point or another. Jujitsu is renowned for its grappling aspects, especially in the UFC. However, the cage fights require a very toned down version. In real jujitsu, it is very easy to break a persons arm, leg or even neck, once you a good enough. Other jujitsu methods include ground 'n' pound (a personal favorite.) Get them on the ground, hit them till they don't get back up. Obviously this has major drawbacks when it comes to multiple opponents, but with a little creativity, jujitsu holds can be incorporated into standing or on the go combat.

Lastly is a little something I thought of on my own. There are several variations of it out there, but this particular move has a very high success rate. I nicknamed it "Zero Style" because there is no real name for it that I know of. Most people would call it fighting dirty I guess. Basically eye gouging, screaming, nut shots, throwing dust in the eyes, and anything else to give you an edge are fully encouraged. When it comes to protecting yourself, nothing is off limits.

These are just a few examples and things I have found effective. When it comes to a fight nothing can beat ingenuity, and experience.

Arts like Shaolin, ninjitsu, and karate/taeqwondo did not make the list because of impracticality. If you can find a shaolin temple near you willing to train you great, you're lucky. Ninjutsu (pressure points and striking) is equally rare. Karate and tae-qwon-do are mostly just Belt factories in the US. While you may learn a few things, I have found that against a seasoned fighter, the last two arts rarely work. They may work on a street thug, but not another fighter.

Hope I helped some, or gave you guys a few Ideas.

as my dad always taught me theirs no such thing as a clean fight. what i got from this is in a situation where i fear for my life use cheap shots. if i think your out for more than just a school yard fight dont be suprised when i use my blade

I think you should have included Krav Maga as well.

Main thing I found out along time ago...a good teacher can make all the difference.

I would have, if I had personally studied Krav Maga. I've heard good things about it, but I refrain from vouching or dismissing matters I have no knowledge of.

My experience as a CQB and H2H Combat Trainer in 94-98 There were several Reasons why the Marine Corps and Socom didn't use or like Krav Maga and all the ground fighting martial arts like Jujitsu (All it's variations), Muay Thai, and Karate and Tae Kwon Do. I will itemize the reasons. Let's first cover the needs of a Hand to Hand Combat system for a solider or SHTF Survivalist. You're typically carrying everything you need for survival and to accomplish your mission. This is referred to the typical combat load that all Marines and solider's typically need. Weapons/Gear/Food/etc. You need to stay mobile and balanced with your 60 pound load of gear. (A BugOut bag can weigh 30+ lbs). We did studies and anyone wearing a 15-20 load was unable to effectively use any of your listed martial arts without loosing their balance and it slowed them down drastically. You don't want to drop your gear in a fight because the enemy may and will take your gear, so you had to learn how to fight while maintaining any amount of weight in excess of 20-lbs.

The H2H Combat system had to be able to perform well in any of the following environments: These sound extreme and impractical, but seriously think about what they simulate.

A.) Ice/Snow/Slipper Floors/Decks of Boats (try out on Ice in Winter with Bug Out Bag on)

B.) Enclosed spaces/Hallways, Urban Combat crowded busy street (Try in 4'x4' square ring)

C.) Pitch Black (NVG's malfunction) (Put Blindfold on)

D.)Fight with One Limb/Leg due to injury. (Tie one arm behind back to simulate broken arm)

E.) Efficient and Practical with 20+ lbs of Gear and Equipment (Put on your bugout bag)

F.) Skills must mirror all weapons platforms (Blunt/Impact, Blade, Handgun, Long Gun)

As you can see anyone of these unforseen and uncontrolled elements immediately disqualifies your list. Sorry I mean this with Respect.

1.) I will call it Jujitsu (Brazillian, Aiki, and etc.) The very nature of trying to put your opponent in a joint lock, ground fighting speaks volumes as to why it's not suited. Items it failed: A Obvious,B Try wrestling in a 4'x4' square ring,C 50% blind fold yourself,D Try restraining someone with one arm tied behind your back,E With weight on back try getting up to fight 2nd and 3rd attacker,F Mirrors no weapons listed.

2.) Muay Thai: This is a very strong fighting form as we saw fit for competition, but not for our needs. This system contains very large circular movements. See items it failed on: A Try doing a knee strike to someone while standing on ICE, B Try it out in 4'x4; square ring, C Blind fold yourself, D Fight with one arm tied behind your back, E Put on your bugout bag, F Mirrors no weapons listed. The US Air Marshals have talked with me about this system not working well on an Airplane, too small of space. Thus HRT (Seals,Delta SFOD-D, MarSoc, FBI HRT) don't use this system.

3.) Krav Maga: This is a very nice system but it failed in several categories as well. Plus keep in mind their are several different branches/styles/variations of this system also. Here is the list that their system didn't score well on: A Try it on ICE/Winter, B 50%, C 50%, D Relies on 2 limb combos, E Torque and Momentum destroyed balance with Combat Load, F Mirrors no listed Weapons. Effective system but did not meet our goals.

Sadly there were only a couple of systems that met this criteria completely 100%, but due to politics and the USMC wanting to scrap a battle field system designed to kill within 2-3 movements, they scrapped the program in 2000 and went with a Peace Keeping mission role and designed the MCMAP system which is the Opposite of our initial research program. Since LTCol George Bristol was friends with the Commandant of the Marine Corps he won the bid for the new Hand to Hand Combat program, even though our work was superior. Chalk it up to politics. What is nice though USSocom (Seals, SFOD-D, CIA SOG, NSA, Air Marshals) Have contacted me to obtain parts of this program to implement into their current training cirriculum. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.