Sign in to follow this  
William Tell

Aquaponics

I looked a bit, and don't think this has been a recently covered topic. Aquaponics are a bit like hydroponics, in that they don't use soil. In fact any hydroponic system you have or can make, can be converted into aquaponics.

Aquaponics uses fish to produce ammonia into the water, and then you use said water to water the plants. The plants have quite an extensive root system, if you grow them properly, and will have a very large surface area. On the roots are certain bacteria that break down the ammonia into nitrites and nitrates, which plants LOVE. The result is very healthy vegetables and berries, and very high yields. I don't know how well this system would work with fruits, but basically almost any vegetable with grow very well.

Here is a link to a video introducing aquaponics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBspR2p0YYM

I have been using a makeshift one (no pumps or long grow trays) in my apartment, and the plants (mostly just house plants, no vegetables yet) are doing very well. I had a plant that was dying and needed to be thinned out anyways, so I did a little experiment. I took a section of plant and its roots and planted it in the aquaponic system. The plant in the system not only recovered, but is budding, while the part left in soil is just now recovering.

Sure! My system is out of commission at the moment, due to me using some of the wrong material. Basically you can use whatever you want to for the trays that will hold the plants. I use a plastic tote that I got from walmart for like 5 bucks. I also used a large roughly 6 dollar tote for my "Aquarium". You don't need High end products to get results. I'll get to digging around for some diagrams to show you guys as well.

When I get my system back up to operating, I will post pics!

Here is a basic Aquaponic diagram, you can substitue the sump tank with a pump for a bucket that you just use to pour the water that drained out of the plant tank back into the fish tank.

post-2682-13851498236332_thumb.jpg

A really easy and simple process would be to put an aquarium up on a table, put the plant tray on a chair, and put a bucket or collection tray under that. Then just run a pump that pumps water back up to the fish tank. In terms of fish, I personally use Goldfish, because the produce ALOT of ammonia. but I have heard of people also using tilapia, and then you grow fish and FOOD from the fish. No need to add nitrates or anything just simple fishy water. May sound a little gross to some, but I hear it makes great eats!

I've been looking into aquaponics for awhile now, even before I started preparing, and have done a smaller test setup much like a lot of others have. I'm going to use IBC totes because I got them for dirt cheap, can get as many as I need, and they seem to be perfect for our greenhouse. Tilapia, catfish, perch, and trout are fairly common but I'm going with tilapia since it's the only fish of the common ones grown that I can eat so far...yeah not a big fish/seafood fan. I'm also considering a hydroponic setup as well for the plants that don't grow as well with aquaponics. I'll throw some updates on as I move forward with my larger setup and here are a couple links, the video shows exactly how to do an IBC and the site is an aquaponics seller who also is very very pro America and pro prepper.

http://www.aquaponicsusa.com/Aquaponics_USA_index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYFM7J_TpTU&feature=related