Sign in to follow this  
shadowplyr

personal information log

i had an idea a few months ago of creating what at the time i called a book, however it is now more of a quick reference personal information guide.

as many of you might know i began worrying about grid down situations such as a EMP or CME type event which made me think.... what will i need to know that i might not know now.

so i began researching....how to purify water, how to navigate by stars, how to tell directions using a pocket watch, how to make a bow and arrow in the wild, how to tan a deer hide without modern chemicals, how to self treat for common ailments, etc

i then began printing out and saving this information in a binder which now hold what i would consider the most valuable information possible in case of this situation.

just sharing in case anyone might want to do the same, or have any ideas of some information that might be needed for us to use and learn and keep on hand.

Shadow,

I've been doing this very same thing for about a year now.

I keep a hand written book, that when i come across something interesting or something I just did nt know , or wasnt aware of, I then Write it in my book.

i like using normal Composition books found in any Dollar store, thrift store, walmart whatever.

I have a laminater I use on alot of documents. They aren't that expensive altho the laminating sleeves can be. I laminated my "homemade" rangecards" and other quick reference index cards for carrying in my gear... I used this in the Army as well. I write everything for my personal use in my hillbilly redneckisms so you would have to know the "code" to understand most of it. The rangecards we used a color scheme to signify terrain features.

Stick, I did too. Even in the news today with all the "friendly" incidents in Afghan, I didn't trust the SOBs they had coming on the FOB, so we developed our own symbols, codes, etc to make sure we didn't have to worry about info getting into the wrong hands (foreigner).

No, I am medically unfit now, tumors throughout my liver and intestines and too many broken bones.

I was a "weekend warrior" (Army Reserve), 384th MP BN HHC. I do not know what the new MOS designations are but was 97B (counter-intel), 52D (generator repair), then got small engine repair and slotted as Project Manager for Engineers during our deployment. I was NCOIC for Task Force Engineers for Detainee Ops and helped Civil Affairs with some Ops and projects.

Shadow, I've basically done the same thing. Only storing things in a .pdf format

and putting them on a zip drive. I will have have the capability to transfer files to

paper for several weeks if the "lights go out". Also having a laptop to recharge by

way of solar panels if needed. Also your idea of having hard copies is a good one

and I'm trusting myself on this one rather than misplacing the files and trying to

locate them if lost. Believe me, I can loose stuff!

Edited by desert rat

Reg, thanks for your service to the republic!

Also, Shadow stated that he learned to navigate using the stars. But why? Are people going to bug out so far that they will be totally lost?

Those of us that bug in already know our surroundings. We know the area. We know where to gain access to water. We know where our friends and families live.

Those of us that bug out to a safe location already know the location have planned how they will get there. They know the area. They know how and where to access water.

If people bug out to a strange location they’ll be looking to rest at locations that provide safe and easy to defend structures. I understand how celestial navigation can be a handy skill, but is it a necessary skill?

Thanks Coastie and you too.

Celestial navigation would be a nice skill to have, IMO. First, prepping encompasses any and all scenarios that can lead to an emergency. If I'm on a commercial flight that goes down and I survive the crash landing (big if I know) but my BOB and gear that they forced me to check in instead of carry on is lost, knowing how to navigate "primitive" style would be a great benefit. Also, if the event is truly a long term one, compasses get broken and People may need to travel distances to find the other "building blocks" to rebuild our Republic. Besides, any knowledge you have is about the only thing they can't "take away".

No, I am medically unfit now, tumors throughout my liver and intestines and too many broken bones.

I was a "weekend warrior" (Army Reserve), 384th MP BN HHC. I do not know what the new MOS designations are but was 97B (counter-intel), 52D (generator repair), then got small engine repair and slotted as Project Manager for Engineers during our deployment. I was NCOIC for Task Force Engineers for Detainee Ops and helped Civil Affairs with some Ops and projects.

what a broke-D**k ;)

Thanks Coastie and you too.

Celestial navigation would be a nice skill to have, IMO. First, prepping encompasses any and all scenarios that can lead to an emergency. If I'm on a commercial flight that goes down and I survive the crash landing (big if I know) but my BOB and gear that they forced me to check in instead of carry on is lost, knowing how to navigate "primitive" style would be a great benefit. Also, if the event is truly a long term one, compasses get broken and People may need to travel distances to find the other "building blocks" to rebuild our Republic. Besides, any knowledge you have is about the only thing they can't "take away".

The Army taught me celestial for the purpose of locating a Missile battery! I never expect celestial navigation from the army of all things.

The Army taught me celestial for the purpose of locating a Missile battery! I never expect celestial navigation from the army of all things.

Capt, I'm not sure they teach it anymore. They are all "push button" crazy and rely on GPS, satellites, and the telemetry (sp) radar to locate anything now.....lol. I know some are still maintaining "old school" skills, but seems like they are just getting more and more reliant on technology instead of intelligence and skills. JMO