Sign in to follow this  
Hossfly

I think I'm starting to get paranoid

Thanks Shawn, you're right. Even though I have only been at this for less then a year (although my gut told me long before that) I am better off then the masses. Strange thing the other day I went to Wally world for some white box 9's and I stopped and looked around at the people there. Thinking if my fears come true that 99% of the people there would not make it. They are living day to day with their only concern is where is the extra big bag of Doritos. So thank you for a bit of reality. I am better off just for the knowledge this and other sites have given me as well as my preps. I'll keep plugging along and doing my best.

With the attacks on our embassies, QE3, local violence, political rhetoric, general nonsense and assorted crap going on, I've noticed that I'm starting to look at things a bit different from "normal".

I look at cars and trucks and think to myself, "no computer chip there. It'll survive an EMP."

While making a delivery today, a dog barked and started growling from under the porch. I immediately noticed a shovel that I could use to fend off an angry mongrel. While driving, I notice cars that may be following me to my next stop in order to steal the package I leave or take my truck- that's actually happened before. I watch people walking down the street and have noticed a concealed pistol several times. I've become hyper observant and it's really starting to bug me. I come home at night and my brain feels like a bowl of pudding!

I feel like I felt on Sept 11th when I saw the pics of the first tower hit. Perfectly clear sky, burning tower, and my first thought was, " that was intentional. Not an accident. We're at war". About the time I finished the thought, the second plane hit.

I know we promote and practice vigilance and preparedness, but how do you tone it down without completely stopping to keep up with the news?

Wally,Regulator5,have a great idea,pick a hobby,do something with your hands,the local library most have good how-to-books,stay away from the pc,tv for a while,I find that making bread is very relaxing and enjoyfull,make time with your spouse or best friend,it helps.

Was looking over some of my stuff the other day and realized I need to get rid of all my MREs. Way way past the expiration date.

One step forward, two steps back. At times I feel like I'm so far behind the curve its not even funny. Still trying to get it all together though.

I occasionally have been known to pick up a large bag of Doritos while picking up supplies ala' white box at Wal-star-Mart.

I refer to it as "logistically attractive re-supply", one MUST keep supplies rotted and replenished.

Dont get rid of everything VonBayern! Bust em open and save the gum, wet wipes, instant coffee, condiments and such.

Shove it all in a zip loc freezer bag, squeeze the air out and pack it away to add to the preps.

Hossfly,

I learned years ago how to dust off one thing off and move to the next. You have to train yourself to identify when something has reached its limit. I do a phyiscal dusting off with my hands dusting off the opposite arm or dusting off your chest like you might do after a tackle in football. Its a reinforcement of a mental cut off from one thing and starting to engage another. I dont do it all the time but i do it when the current thoughts have become too much. Just dust off the idea and go on to something like family time or any hobby. Make sure you have time "scheduled" to enjoy the good things in life.

Ya, I was gonna save the 'goodie' bags and the heaters. Hate to dump em, but over 12 years is stretching. it.
hmm sounds like a good time to test it out- open a few up! still look /smell good? let us know! i have a feeling some things will surprise you,:) and you could also use them to lure critters

I was doing pretty good at relaxing until I looked at Amazon for a good book to download. Thought it would take my mind into low gear. I should have picked a book about kittens or something, but noooooo, I had to read the reviews of "One Second After"! Good book but it'll scare the hell out of ya and make you realize how strongly we're tied to technology.

Wednesday was good though. The wife bought new furniture and I got my first recliner (I'm 44 years old, sad huh?). I spent the morning laid out in it watching "Patton". It was a MAN DAY!

I've only been been reading on this for a few weeks and really just started, but I feel like I'm so far behind and don't have enough time to catch up. I just know I have to keep plugging away and do what I can while I can. That and keeping everything under my husbands radar, at least until I manage to get through to him, plus trying to get myself back into the kind of shape where I can take care of my two kids under less than ideal circumstances. Paranoid is the perfect description lol

The 'official' shelf life or MREs is 3 to 5 years. I have read about some still being good up to 10 years...but after 12 years...no, don't want to risk it.

I'll get me a bucket or two of the dehydrated camp/trail food to replace them with, that has a shelf life of 25 years.

Shea, little steps...pick some small things to start with, that way you can see some progress. As others have posted elsewhere to try to pull your husband in you can start with the federal government disaster list. It tells you how much food to have on hand, water the basics. Don't know where you live or what the area is like...another way to 'sneak' some stuff in is <depending on kids ages> boy scouts or girl scouts. Get some camp gear that way. Just a couple of thoughts.

Welcome Shea! Bring him into it by using his male ego.. God forgive me for breaking the male code, but here it is... Make him think it's his idea. I'm not 100% sure but I think that's what my wife did. She pretends to think I'm nuts (well, she might not be pretending). she does super couponing and points out how much she saved. Then she mentions how food prices are going up and suggests that if we put back a little stuff for later at today's prices, we'd be saving money. She decided she might like to learn how to make soap so she just told me she was making soap.. Any man knows there is no arguing with a woman who's mind is set! The other day she decided she would like to know how to grind her own grain for bread and such. Now she's looking for the "perfect" grinder, but she hasn't said a word about it.. Just assumes I don't need to know that info. Earlier, she decided she'd like to learn to can veggies, got the whole set-up and a new freezer. She mentioned it to me, after making me slice 50 pounds of tomatoes and another 20 of onions, etc, etc, ad nauseum. She then mentioned how it would be sad if a hurricane took out our power and the generator ran out of gas.. I went to get more gas. She thought it might be nice to have a garden.. I dug a garden. Yes ma'am! I'm one helluva prepper! And this whole lifestyle was my idea. And my wife still thinks I'm nuts for it, but she'll understand one day!

Whoever said, "it's a man's world" was dumb as a brick and didn't realize he was trained by a woman to think it was a man's world!

Edited by Hossfly

I traded in my Man Card when I married her. She's smarter than me and doesn't even bother to pretend about it anymore. The problem is that she's been training her daughter (my LiL step monkey I call her) and now she is smarter than me also. My most repeated phrase has become , " Yes ma'am".. Maybe Freud was right and we do marry our parents? I always thought my mom was a little ditzy,like June Cleaver on LSD or something, but maybe she was just playing me also. I have noticed that I become more like my father every year. For example, he and I were sitting in the car for 30 minutes one morning waiting for my mom and sister to go to church. I was griping, he was reading his book. He turned to me and said, "get used to it son. You're going to be waiting on a woman for the rest of your life. Can't change it, just accept it and move along". That man had a lot of wisdom to share! Pure calmness in the face of everything.

Ok, so I know I told canibuyavowel to not go off the deep end with spending but recently Ive been feeling like time is running out and Im nowhere near as prepared as I want to be. the amazing thing to me to is to see all the things in the news and around us and most people just act like nothing is wrong. I just dont get it. Sorry, just needed to vent. Ive been getting really frustrated recently.

Shawn..

People are sheep...wait till somebody get's bit..or finds themselfs in a threating sittuation...

Than the screems will be heard.. JMO..

Hossfly..second wife 2 daughters..yep your going to wait...and the "Genetic ability" to hand over the wallet at any given time..

Just the other day, I was walking home from school when I noticed something. A man with an audi was backing out of his garage, which is lower than the sidewalk/road. So in order to get up and over some of the ice and whatnot, he had to gun it up the driveway. While he was doing this, some lady with a few light shopping bags was walking past his driveway. She then stopped in the middle of the driveway hoping the asshat would see her and stop in time. I thought to myself.... I would have been past that driveway once i seen him come gunning up it. Why didn't this lady do it? And it came to me... some people are just oblivious to their surroundings and expect they will be fine. I have been downtown or in subway stations and seen business men bump into other people or even walk into posts because they are so engrossed in their cellphones. It is a little mind boggling.

Here are some examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx2L9g0reNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuGdVPrBmY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0JojWH1rQ&feature=related

Don't Worry Man, you may feel like your being paranoid, but it is better than being these asshats.

Today In class I felt like I saw a small change in the light coming throught the window while taking down a lecture. I turned and there was a man walking with his daughter. I was facing the complete opposite way but managed to catch it. The brain is an amazing thing.

Just the other day, I was walking home from school when I noticed something. A man with an audi was backing out of his garage, which is lower than the sidewalk/road. So in order to get up and over some of the ice and whatnot, he had to gun it up the driveway. While he was doing this, some lady with a few light shopping bags was walking past his driveway. She then stopped in the middle of the driveway hoping the asshat would see her and stop in time. I thought to myself.... I would have been past that driveway once i seen him come gunning up it. Why didn't this lady do it? And it came to me... some people are just oblivious to their surroundings and expect they will be fine. I have been downtown or in subway stations and seen business men bump into other people or even walk into posts because they are so engrossed in their cellphones. It is a little mind boggling.

Here are some examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx2L9g0reNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuGdVPrBmY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0JojWH1rQ&feature=related

Don't Worry Man, you may feel like your being paranoid, but it is better than being these asshats.

Today In class I felt like I saw a small change in the light coming throught the window while taking down a lecture. I turned and there was a man walking with his daughter. I was facing the complete opposite way but managed to catch it. The brain is an amazing thing.

you got it LooseLou you have to use all your senses and any thing can be helpful my significant other was backing out at the store I was reading a

flier from the paper I told her to stop she look at at me after stopping and asked how I knew about the vehicle, i told her to look forward {only the umpteenth time I have done this} the whole store front was glass a perfect mirror.

I sit with my back to the wall in public unless there's a good reflective source there are other qualifiers but those are the general rules for me.

when a sound changes pitch it is either moving or something is between you and it or it is a normal anomaly of the thing producing the sound.

in other words we have to verify it with our other senses.

Some years ago some writer issued a diatribe about condition green yellow and red and equated them to self defense situations and

movement in public spaces and {I am almost certain that the threat level during bush Jr. was extracted from that moronic piece.

although I have been exposed to it previously I was a good read for those not familiar and conceptualized a vague idea into a usable information.

Information of security and awareness as well as how to shadow, track and avoiding them and surveillant methods {the black arts}

these are skills and are a can be honed and as in all things perfected to a point the only reason we know so little about the failures

we cannot know the other mind we are interacting or competing with because make no mistake in a serious situation it is a competition

and the costs are steep.and penalties can be severe.

Ted Bundy and men need to watch their female counterpart in TEOTWAWKI or any situation I do not stop for people in the road on or

lying beside the road I pull over 50 + yards ahead of them and watch for any movement on either side.

Now that we have cell phones I call it in before technology we just had to wing it.

I t has always made me wonder that people get snatched and there is a great big van parked right beside their car and it does not peak any

warning sense and it happens around the holidays every year.

this does not mean you will not get caught with your pant's down but at least with some other training you can walk away.

or at worst an incident years ago leaving a restaurant a cop grabbed me to go out to catch a person in the parking lot I am ashamed to say

he did not make it out the door and I was surprised to see it was a officer we apologized to each other and it ended well but it was embarrassing

for both of us, I was lucky he was a reasonable person I could have had legal problems it is not nice to toss a cop.

A friend is an officer she thought she needed some techniques not normally taught I showed her a few basics this was 5 years ago recently a supervisor

asked while making the move on a scenario, passing the test {although it was not a test just a Gesture to make a point} she now got a promotion

small but {we} never thought at that time it was anything more than just a exchange of information, I am just glad it was not needed in a real situation.

There's very little useless information or training that cannot be useful some day, from this point I hope I never need it would make me happy.