Sign in to follow this  
Hossfly

I think I'm starting to get paranoid

With the attacks on our embassies, QE3, local violence, political rhetoric, general nonsense and assorted crap going on, I've noticed that I'm starting to look at things a bit different from "normal".

I look at cars and trucks and think to myself, "no computer chip there. It'll survive an EMP."

While making a delivery today, a dog barked and started growling from under the porch. I immediately noticed a shovel that I could use to fend off an angry mongrel. While driving, I notice cars that may be following me to my next stop in order to steal the package I leave or take my truck- that's actually happened before. I watch people walking down the street and have noticed a concealed pistol several times. I've become hyper observant and it's really starting to bug me. I come home at night and my brain feels like a bowl of pudding!

I feel like I felt on Sept 11th when I saw the pics of the first tower hit. Perfectly clear sky, burning tower, and my first thought was, " that was intentional. Not an accident. We're at war". About the time I finished the thought, the second plane hit.

I know we promote and practice vigilance and preparedness, but how do you tone it down without completely stopping to keep up with the news?

I "escape" into the 18th century.... whether with a book or just trying primitive skills, i.e. blacksmithing, making a log cabin, etc. I think this helps because in the back of my "paranoid" mind, I am still prepping but I am filling my history buff criteria as well.

Thanks for THAT image NavyVet. :P

Sarcasm. Lots of it, even against myself.

I am reassured by the belief that if someone really wanted me dead, they'd be good enough to not be noticed. Anyone that I can notice is at my level or lower and that calms me.

If the Feds are following you they're using multiple agents in different cars to pursue you, most likely know where you are going, and can call in reinforcements to detain you if needed

Gangs probably won't worry about being discreet about their motives or vehicles, believing you to be easy target, so a little evasive driving should lose your follower.

This probably didn't help calm your nerves, I hope I didn't make them worse.

With the attacks on our embassies, QE3, local violence, political rhetoric, general nonsense and assorted crap going on, I've noticed that I'm starting to look at things a bit different from "normal".

I look at cars and trucks and think to myself, "no computer chip there. It'll survive an EMP."

While making a delivery today, a dog barked and started growling from under the porch. I immediately noticed a shovel that I could use to fend off an angry mongrel. While driving, I notice cars that may be following me to my next stop in order to steal the package I leave or take my truck- that's actually happened before. I watch people walking down the street and have noticed a concealed pistol several times. I've become hyper observant and it's really starting to bug me. I come home at night and my brain feels like a bowl of pudding!

I feel like I felt on Sept 11th when I saw the pics of the first tower hit. Perfectly clear sky, burning tower, and my first thought was, " that was intentional. Not an accident. We're at war". About the time I finished the thought, the second plane hit.

I know we promote and practice vigilance and preparedness, but how do you tone it down without completely stopping to keep up with the news?

All I can say is you're sharing in the warped mind of a police officer. Fun isn't it. Now you know why it seems like we're always in a bad mood, lol. Now spend your day being lied to and yelled at, and you'll about have it. I say this as I'm making a career change (now only a part-time officer) to nursing where it's basically the same thing with more poop and pee.

Hahahah, you folks are great! Not worried about feds Gilla. One Christmas season, I had several cars following me at different times. I'd pull up and leave a package at a house. As I would drive off, one of these cars would always come by. They were taking the packages after I would leave them. I probably never would have noticed them, but it's hard to be gray when you drive a flame red Camaro, and a big black Silverado pickup with fancy wheels. I called the cops and they busted them that afternoon. Small town cops are awesome! You mention the car, they know who it is!

Being aware of your situation at all times is not a bad thing. Like you, I watch what is going on around me all the time. Don’t dwell on it, though. Notice the things that make you aware, put it in your mind and then go about your day. By noticing, you will instinctively make a ‘just in case’ plan. Keep it in the back of your mind. When you get that down you will do it automatically and it’ll take very little time while making you feel secure.

Welcome to my world...lol.

LOL. Don't say that too loud, they might come after you....lol.

Hoss, It could be that you have done this for a long time without realizing it and the current events just caused you to notice it more acutely. There may NOT be a threat behind every bush and around every corner, but at least you KNOW if there is.

While dating my wife 7 years ago she asked me.Why do you SCAN the area when we get out of the car?She is from rural Va.

I said "What ?",she said you look around and notice everything thats going on..

My answer ,lived in Detroit as a kid,you best notice whats going on around you!!

She now understands...

I trust people to be people..they are self centered/ass holes that dont care about anyone but them selfs.

nuf said.

You just have to take a break from it all from time to time. Its not paranoid to be aware of your surrondings but it is if every time you hear a car horn you dive behind a bush! Sometimes I have to stay off if this site for a few days just to unwind and forget about everything. You can't stay in one state of mind for too long because its not healthy...even being happy 24/7 is not good because we have emotions we need to express and not repress. To be honest I don't even watch the news anymore because its the same thing day in and day out. If I hear something big is happening or need to know the weather then I'll tune in otherwise why hear about the same negative stuff everyday. Forget about prepping for a few days and doing something you enjoy. If SHTF it happens it happens and if it doesn't it doesn't. We have no control over it so enjoy life while things are still decent. jmho

I too have been feeling the same way. Current events is a big part of it but also I've on been prepping for less then a year now and am no wheres near ready. I am thinking things are going to happen sooner then I had thought. Same as you QE3, credit down rating, middle east and living in the Northeast surrounded by whack jobs has got me feeling vunerable. This week I've thought about taking the credit card and just maxing in out on supplies thinking it won't matter if things blow up that I'm 10K in the hole. I to need a diversion. Think I'll hit the tree stand and look for Bambi.

Good luck in your pursuit canibuyavowel. The biggest problem with maxing credit cards is, "what if it doesn't happen?". OK, I too think we are in for a bad trip in the next few months and years. I hope you get diverted to field dressing and butchering a nice deer, that will even help your preps.

I'm in a similar situation with canibuyavowel. Ive been prepping for about a year. I feel like I wont be as prepared as I want to be, but I just cant bring myself to max out the cards. Like Reg said what if it doesnt happen? or happens years from now? For now I have been amping up my preps and am trying to gain as much knowledge as I can. The way I look at it, Im a lot better off then I was a year ago. Hossfly congrats on the night out. You def have to try to enjoy what time may be left.

Now that I think about it.... I may have a small problem with moderation.. But those were some GOOD crab legs my brothers! And- here's the fun part... We went with our next door neighbors. He's been trying to get me to go up to the hunting camp with him for some hog hunting. I Got sick last year and wasn't able to go, but this year is looking good. Gotta get my sister to send down some BBQ dry rub from the Rendezvous in Memphis and we will be having a BBQ block party! We figured we'd sit him on one side of the land with his bow looking for deer and me on the other with the rifle looking for all the hogs I care to drag outta the woods! I have missed hunting! I've missed being able to shoot a rifle any time I want also. Sucks to live in the burbs when you grew up in Mayberry!

I heard a phrase the other day that im still contemplating.

'Collective Paranoia'

If even 1% of US population fell into the so called 'Collective' of whatever, thats alot o people. And of so many people fall into that group, it cant be defined as Paranoia.

I've recently taken a step back as well. Trying to reflect on things and re-evaluate. "Am i doing the right thing?" "Am I going too far by being envolved with the prepper subculture?"

TO look for an answer I turn away from whatever I HAVE, or materials and articles ive read to this date. WHile lost in thought, I walk across the street to Sunoco food mart, ignoring the bums always beggin in front of the store, go get me a coke and on the way out, glance over to all the different local newspapers.

ALL i have to do to realize that Im not crazy or stupid or going to far, is to read the Headlines of the daily news... then ask myself the same questions we all ask ourselves. 'WHat can I do to NOT become a victim of this?'