Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

rice

hmmm, i've had a cple pounds in a ziploc that i use every so often has been in cupboard for 11 months now... i dont think yours will go bad-just keep it sealed and dry, should be ok , till you get some bags an buckets

Be careful . Regardless of how you handle or store your bags of rice, straight from the store, not all brands of rice are CLEANED equaly before they are bagged.

Rice is a major part of my regular diet. Have purchased several different brands and species of rice.

Some brands simply are not cleaned before its bagged and shipped, and if left to sit, UNOPENED, it will have bugs in it.

My favorite brand & species of Rice is 'Basmati' by Royal, comes out of India. Comes in a burlap sack with a sealed plastic bag inside. Other brands come shipped in a plastic type of weave sack, and not air tight.

Brown rice won't last as long. The oils make it go rancid. Although healthier, and what I'd prefer to eat, the white/processed stuff will last longer. I'd store mine with a few jars of bullion cubes for flavoring because those will apparently last indefinitely.

hey wolf, I had some go bad after 5 years. It was in the plastic bag it came in and i had stored it in a cool dry area. However 2 other bags were just fine, stored right along side the one that went bad. I'm not sure why some was bad the rest ok...just to be sure I bought mylar and bagged all my grains.

Tinder, I use Mylar bags, plastic bags and a high quality vacuum sealer. The problem is that the Mylar bags get ‘sucked’ and sealed before the air comes out. So here is what I have to do:

Put the rice in a plastic bag (the ones used with the food saver vacuum pump).

Toss in the necessary oxygen eaters.

Suck the air out and seal the bag.

Place that bag into a Mylar bag.

Without sealing the Mylar, place that bag in yet another plastic bag.

Use the vacuum and seal the second plastic bag.

Then I seal the Mylar bag twice – once on one side and once on the other.

The first and third steps are not normally needed but that is the only way I could get it to work properly.

Also, I only seal two or three pounds of rice in one bag. That gives me the ability to open smaller amounts while keeping the other bags fresh. It takes up a little more room but it’s worth it to me. I can also use smaller batches as bartering, if needed.

What ever you store it in it's a good idea to place in the freezer for up to a week to kill any critters that may be in it.

You can always take the dead froze critter and eat them for protein. I'm serious. In foreign countries most people will pick thru the rice anyway to remove pebbles and bugs anyway. I take those things and feed them to the chickens and ducks. Waste not want not!

OOOOH Ya... you HAVE TO wash that rice. No matter where it comes from. Or where you bought it.

COnsider that nearly all rice comes from somewhere in Asia. ASIA does not have the health codes the US has, so you simply cant trust the cleanliness of a bag of rice. Period.

Over the years i've found BLUE RIBBON to be the worst when it comes to cleanliness. I have to rinse it 3 times before all the dust and crap is washed off, and the water being poured out is clear. A newly opened bag of BLUE RIBBON may already have bugs in it. Thats why you wash. THose bugs will float to the top, where as you wont be able to see em just looking at a dry cup of rice grains. BLUE RIBBON also goes bad quickly after its cooked. And is from Thailand.

We changed over to Basmati long Grain from India. Not bugs, less rinsing, and doesnt go bad for a good while after cooking. is packaged better, and is from India.

OOOOH Ya... you HAVE TO wash that rice. No matter where it comes from. Or where you bought it.

COnsider that nearly all rice comes from somewhere in Asia. ASIA does not have the health codes the US has, so you simply cant trust the cleanliness of a bag of rice. Period.

Over the years i've found BLUE RIBBON to be the worst when it comes to cleanliness. I have to rinse it 3 times before all the dust and crap is washed off, and the water being poured out is clear. A newly opened bag of BLUE RIBBON may already have bugs in it. Thats why you wash. THose bugs will float to the top, where as you wont be able to see em just looking at a dry cup of rice grains. BLUE RIBBON also goes bad quickly after its cooked. And is from Thailand.

We changed over to Basmati long Grain from India. Not bugs, less rinsing, and doesnt go bad for a good while after cooking. is packaged better, and is from India.

I argued with an older lady I worked with over there about this. She insisted that I was rinsing off added nutrients and taking away from the flavor of the rice.

She was a nut. Needless to say I knew to rinse and her wacky antics didn't sway me.

Hmmm you can also try chili pepper *whole) the dried type. Heard about that.

I personally always use bay leaf and never had a problem with my flour or rice.

If you purchase it and it already has bugs I would still add the above and see if it clears them out.

Sorry thats all I know

There is only one bit of information everyone should know about rice

it does go bad when it is white it is good as it ages it gets yellow and it gets as hard as a whores heart

I am not sure a pressure cooker will cook it.

one other point if all you eat is white rice you will starve to death it is a filler nothing more you must have

other things added like vegetables fruit or meat even bullion or you have nothing it is a great prep store

as it will stretch your food a long way a family of 4 should have 100 pounds

I am going to repeat my self ALL grains like oats flour beans meal etc should be frozen for 10 yes 10 days and allowed to

come back to room temp in the bag if it is plastic put in a blanket or towel to prevent condensation inside while it comes back to room temp then store in a mylar bag twisted bent over and tied tight air is your enemy

the reason for 10 days is because I do not know how cold your freezer is if it is barely freezing it takes time to kill all the eggs and even live weevils or what ever in a large bag the colder the less time.

the main problem none of us know how long it was stored before it was packed how long it was in transit and the conditions

like humidity heat or what other foods it was in proximity with all of these are factors including if it is packed in plastic or

paper I like 20 to 25 pound paper bags they fit in your freezer and do not condense water as they are coming back to room temp the reason to not want condensation is mold if your grain is damp it will get moldy and you will not know until

you open it and you need it.

A 5 gallon bucket will hold about 25 to 35 pounds of flour buckets even if they have a silicone seal in the lid do breath

due to expansion and contraction caused by temperature humid air causes mold take my word for it and follow these directions and use mylar bags you can get them from www.beprepared.com not to mention it is a double seal

in case of flood or water damage in your home.

take Capt Barts advice, "one is none and 2 is one" in this instance save more than what you need in multiple buckets

here is a list

barley

flour/s as many as you think you can use rye wheat etc. but do not get self rising buy cans of baking powder and soda separate

corn meal /corn bread is part corn meal and flour

corn starch to thicken gravy and soups

oats I choose quick cooking of all things in emergency you save fuel and time using 2 minute oats etc.

malto meal or cream of wheat

rice white

potato flakes

noodles all kinds

tortellini these are little gems they are driedpasta filled with cheese or vegetables or even some have tomatoes

I like the freeze dried refried pinto beans last forever and only take hot water and ready to eat I spice mine to

dry buttermilk powder leave it in the cardboard box it comes in and vacuum seal it.

take my word for it you cannot do better doing it yourself than buying these items

#10 cans of powdered butter or margarine, milk, eggs shortening and small cans of bacon yoders brand

there is now way that you can do as well to protect and save these than buy these pre canned products

they last 25 years or as long as the can does not rust out

everyone says they hate powdered eggs well you cannot tell the difference when used in baked goods

and a #10 can equals 94 eggs

#10 can of powdered milk equals 45 cups

here are cooking ingredients

http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_82_A_name_E_Cooking%20Essentials

no processing for sugar or salt buy water softener salt 5 bucks for 40 pounds I would still use a mylar bag as buckets

condensate over time, rock salt is better to salt meats

have some Morton tender quick preserving salt 1 bag does 100 pounds so figure your need

spices teas and coffee should be vac sealed in mylar and labeled

It may seem like a lot but buying in bulk looking for sales and coupons.

crackers can be kept in those vacuum clothes storage bags keeps out stale air and humidity that cause poor taste.

There is only one bit of information everyone should know about rice

one other point if all you eat is white rice you will starve to death it is a filler nothing more you must have

other things added like vegetables fruit or meat even bullion or you have nothing it is a great prep store

as it will stretch your food a long way a family of 4 should have 100 pounds

Not totally true. Has has a host of benefits all too much for me to type here but here are a few links:

http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/cereal/health-benefits-of-rice.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/282534-what-are-the-benefits-of-rice-beans/

Rice contains lots of ESSENTIAL minerals and more!

if a person goes to ask.com and enters a search question of how long will rice last.. it will be along read of great info. on there are links to sites on how long a type of rice can be stored...how to store it.. and mylar bag info. Just thought I would throw that out there. We have commercially bought rice that is 5 years old and is still great. SODA bottles are a PET food grade storage device as well. If kept in optimal storage conditions... some info is out there that rice can be stored for 30 years. Also another great manual is the LDS prep manual you can down load for free. You tube has loads of videos on storaing foods and water. Weed through the hokey ones and one can learn alot.

Not totally true. Has has a host of benefits all too much for me to type here but here are a few links:

http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/cereal/health-benefits-of-rice.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/282534-what-are-the-benefits-of-rice-beans/

Rice contains lots of ESSENTIAL minerals and more!

only eat white rice and nothing else and PM me in 90 days