Sign in to follow this  
TCC6310

Survival Group..?

I've been thinking about this alot lately, and I guess I finally just want to ask. Would anybody other then myself, like to find a good ron de vu(excuse my french) point, and start a stable community given shtf? I mean really, obviously we all have our own strong points in survival, or else we wouldnt be on this forum right? So i just figured that maybe it would be a good thing if we (the forum) could bring each of our own unique skills to the table and help each other all survive. I presonally think that it might be better to do things in a fairly large groups because its easier to have more stability when theres more people, it would make things seem a little bit more normal in my opinion. So the question is, would anybody else be willing to join in on this idea?

This can be a good idea but there are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself before having an open invitation like this. The primary question you need to ask is can you trust the person you are wanting into your group? I'll be honest, I have a couple of close friends whom I don't really discuss my survival prep or plans with. I will help them out whenever I can and they are good people. But in a really bad event, they would be more of a liability than an asset, and ultimately you don't know what people are capable of until their back is against the wall. With more people comes more mouths to feed and water, more personalities and attitudes to deal with, more chances for them to talk to other people about your group prep and plans and location. These are just some of the negatives you need to think about before setting up something like this. You do have a good point though that many hands make fast work. More people have more supplies, and skills and abilities than just you alone. Thank you for the invitation but I respectfully decline. Again, I would caution you on who you get involved in this, especially people you dont know over the internet.

This can be a good idea but there are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself before having an open invitation like this. The primary question you need to ask is can you trust the person you are wanting into your group? I'll be honest, I have a couple of close friends whom I don't really discuss my survival prep or plans with. I will help them out whenever I can and they are good people. But in a really bad event, they would be more of a liability than an asset, and ultimately you don't know what people are capable of until their back is against the wall. With more people comes more mouths to feed and water, more personalities and attitudes to deal with, more chances for them to talk to other people about your group prep and plans and location. These are just some of the negatives you need to think about before setting up something like this. You do have a good point though that many hands make fast work. More people have more supplies, and skills and abilities than just you alone. Thank you for the invitation but I respectfully decline. Again, I would caution you on who you get involved in this, especially people you dont know over the internet.

+1

Nothing but the truth spoken by tinderwolf.

Tenderwolf is right on. Groups usually cause more problems than they solve.

Also, where would the unprepred go in an SHTF event. A Survival group would draw a lot of unwanted attention and a hungry mob could eventually over run such a group - not to mention the unwanted attention of the Govt. (e.g. The Branch Dividians - a religious group that drew the attention of the Govt.). In Prepping, it's best to do so without drawing the attention of others.

Tinder, thats a good point. And being the paranoid person I am, I've already made multiple contingency plans for the event that anybody would prefer to do this. I agree that it might not be the best idea, but ya never know, things could always work out better then planned. Who knows, I guess we will just have to wait for the big SHTF moment to really decide right?

Gray, again, a good point! But what I was thinking is more along the lines of maybe a group getting land(or if anybody has land) and setting up our own thing in the sticks, ya know away from most civilization. All i know is that when SHTF, I want to be with people that I can rely on to do work, which how i see it, would be the forum, because clearly were all like minded people(on this topic anyways) and know that when things have to get done, they have to get done. So really my point is that the whole idea is just to try to be a little bit more prepared, because 1 person could never do things only.

TCC, good thought process and Tinder and Gray make extremely relative points. I submitted an article to SC to help bring this very item to discussion. CAPT Bart has reviewed it and I think it may give you a very ideas that may be more secure than the net for finding like-minded and compatible members for if the need arises.

there are 6 people + 1 dog in my house, so I'm already in a group whether i want to be or not. If i was to accept others into MY group, they would need to be able to contribute to the entire group. If they were unwilling, i would kindly send them on their own way (i would make an exception for children)

thank you for your kind offer of a get together:

But I am attempting to make arrangements with a certain segment of the

local Phooters employees to fall back inside my perimeter.

I believe after some intense training they may be very useful,

and seem to have all the right qualifications.

Seeing how they already have uniforms and I have a supervisors pullover

also I have a flag its green with a gold dollar sign in the center, my personal

insignia.

I love the stars and bars but it been so disrespected that it may

unduly enrage our captors even though its suppose to be their flag .

this means under the current liberal application of the Geneva convention

I would be considered an officer and I and my troupes would be afforded

fair treatment and interment until Cessation of hostilities are mutually

arranged by proper diplomatic negotiations.

Also we expect and demand a Red Cross and Amnesty International

team to insure our fair treatment and our rights to packages and

letters from family and friends and access to dancing with the stars.

also that wonderful Red Cross package { kinda looks like a take out

white chicken dinner box} with a 5 pack of smokes and a plastic razor

and sundry items, they can keep the blankets they do anyway,

besides they are too short and scratchy and clash with our colors.

we choose to cuddle to maintain warmth.

I will in the near future attempt to arrange that Jauan XL or whatever

his name is, be our spokes person also one of the dixie birds or what ever

their name is...

we deplore the use of torture and choose to be tickled and spanked

this is a group decision and we will not waver on this.

And I have been thinking of our group consciousness and decided

that we will bend over north {no one else thought of that}

and I as leader will stand steadfastly behind ensuring solidarity.

Should we be tried for war crimes we would have it be our decision

we be interred together in a communal life sentence, as we believe

the death sentence to be immoral and cruel.

We intend to use chemical weapons the scent alone will bring you

drooling and quivering at our feet be afraid very afraid, of the hot sauce!

we are training at our secret sauce, I mean base under covers of course.

We are determined and ready and fear nothing as nothing has been done to

any of the other sects or illegals or miscreants within these borders.

Carry on my brothers..........

Edited by juzcallmesnake
kissed a word

Sorry I have spoken to my other personalities and they are

For, against and unsure should we come to a general consensus.

our therapist will contact you the next lunar cycle.

--------------------------------------------------

--------------transmission ended------------------

Gray, again, a good point! But what I was thinking is more along the lines of maybe a group getting land(or if anybody has land) and setting up our own thing in the sticks, ya know away from most civilization. All i know is that when SHTF, I want to be with people that I can rely on to do work, which how i see it, would be the forum, because clearly were all like minded people(on this topic anyways) and know that when things have to get done, they have to get done. So really my point is that the whole idea is just to try to be a little bit more prepared, because 1 person could never do things only.

TCC,

Groups are the toughest thing to set up. If it is my land, you can bet I'm in charge. That may be tough to deal with if I am an incompetent leader. Just because we are all survivalist and share our views, doesn't mean that we would make a compatible team. The military goes to great lengths to make sure their special teams (special ops, sub duty, bomber crews etc) work well together. They can reassign a misfit (not necessarily bad, just doesn't fit in); a survival group can not and if the "misfit" leaves, you've compromised Op Sec.

We may have wildly different ideas of what TSHTF event will be. I, of course, am very right while you are very wrong. Friction. I may think a bath once a month is fine. The group may disagree. Friction. I may want 2 baths a day, tough on water rationing. Friction. I am a Catholic Deacon; having a member of the clergy in the group might cause heavy stress on someone who hates all religions. Friction. I do drink alcohol (especially single malted Scotch) and you may think all drink is evil. Friction(OK, some folks are just unreasonable:confused:). Some smoke, others don't. Friction. The list is endless.

Finding people that first like each other and second can stand each other (NOT the same thing) when cooped up together for extended periods of time is very tough. A complainer or someone who is seen to be shirking work will poison a group faster than an outside enemy. How do you feel about the Occupy where ever demanding MORE from the government for example; want any of them in your group?

Examples are easy to find. Folks complaining about how hot it is when the power is off and why don't I DO something. Or opening the fridge just to see what is inside with the power off. Little things that get bigger and bigger over time. Before forming a group, go camping together for a couple of weeks (no TV, cell phones, radios - simulate grid down survival) - after that, if you are still interested in grouping, THEN broach the subject. Otherwise, tell your friends "thanks, had a good time" and leave it at that while they are still your friends.

Edited by Capt Bart
clarify

Just an idea, and tell me if any of you are against this, but I (personally) think it would be a cool idea if we had a page where people could name the state they live in so members know who they are relatively close to. Then we could have (chosen by the members who live in the state) events where members meet up and discuss things or just talk. I came up with this idea because nobody where I am are really interested in survival. Please comment honestly, thank you

If you want to start a thread devoted to your geographic area and other people want to join in then more power to you all. If there are enough folks interested and this section gets overwhelmed with it we can make a whole other section broken out by state for people to try and connect in a more direct way. We'll attempt to build the forums around what works for you all and where the interest is...

Thanks,

The SurvivalCache Team

just my thoughts,I do trust people to be Human,and the worst situation you are in, the worst and best comes out of most people.The Question most here are afraid to ask is what do I do after the first 90 days of a SHTF situation?I agree with Capt Bart on many things,one being pandemic..I have worked in 2 hospitals and now in a nursing home.After 2 weeks of no resupply they will close,the employes will leave to take care of there own Familys even before the 2 weeks because they will not be paid.Just the facts no BS conserning the effect of local Hospitals being over swamped,and God help those in Nursing Homes.

So again,can you survive without help?Thats up to you.Me I have many aquaintences and a few friends,some that I could depend on but I dont count on it unless it be to thier advantage,BUT I do have those in my community that are starting to think about the future,being where I live is very rural and tons of Farms,Cattle mostley.Those I want to be around are a couple of Nurses(no Doctors) close to my age and have a good relationship with.Another is My Pharmasist, he is a great guy and is a family man with a small farm.My Neighbor,who is a Vet that served in Nam and is retired and the 10 year age difference is perfect.A local Pastor who is Greek Orthotox,he has 6 kids and does provide for his family on a small farm,and I like to have others of different views around just to keep me centered.There may be others that I can offer help to if and when the sittuation happens.Just now I do not have an understanding with them but I do have a relationship with and if need be I can offer something to a loose group because that is what will happen .Loose groups turning up wanting to trade and just exchange information.Its hard to say but millions may die in the first 6 weeks,those left will come togeather at some point.I take the long view,and if Im wrong Im dead,and thats ok I know where Im headed.

Its up to you to build relationships that will benifit each other....Matt

I have many aquaintences and a few friends,some that I could depend on but I dont count on it unless it be to thier advantage ....Matt

then those arent friends Matt and i would cut them off. like you said, we have to build relationships that

benefit eachother. they have to be win/win friendships.

Just of a couple of thoughts to throw in to the mix. A group will be needed for 24/7 security. Group dynamics is very important to consider. Skill sets need to be matched up. Family first, Charity next and always be careful of strangers. High stress events change us all and tend to bring out our worse traits. If you think the government or military or local law enforcement is your go to source in a shtf time think again

They will have their hand full with the criminal/mob elements and they will be stressed as well. I don't want to sound all doom and gloom. I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

American Rouge, if you get a thread going like that and other people want to chime in than by all means I wish your thread well. Here is my answer though, in the bio section of my profile on this site it asks for location....my answer "that goes against the grain"

If your thinking about defence, please get the Ranger hand book,section on BOOBY traps.

a cut off 2x4,12gage shell.mouse trap and 6lb fishing line is a great early warning...but dont try it untill you need it and of course ,put it on your Home map to let your groupe know where not to tread..

So just another example of a different view of whats needed,and what is possible.

Oh I got some wild Nastey rose bushes growing on a couple of trails too.Think outside the box..

One of the best places to find like minded people in your location are the C.E.R.T. (Community Emergency Response Teams). They offer free training (medical, Search and Rescue, etc) and will allow you to meet local people who share some of the basic ideas. Once involved, it shouldn't be a problem finding others who prep more "avidly" than others and possibly form a common support group. You can locate these Teams by searching for your state's emergency preparedness site and/or local government teams. If none are in your area, they will train and help you found one through a church or other community organization.

Smoke, I submitted an article on this very topic to SC. Well, part of it was this topic. It was about planning for a long term event. If atruly long term event happens, i figure if we have a nucleus (community/town/county) organized, it won't be such a step to get the state reestablished, then federal (for the very short version). The nucleus of the small CERTs can be in contact and this will strengthen the overall structure and any situations can be spread out.; e.g., you can lift 150 pounds by yourself, but if you have 10 friends able to help, you move it quicker and are less wore out when done (I know a poor analogy). I figure even if I find noone like minded, if I get them to prepare, it's less people who will be scavenging, raiding, or begging if an event takes place; so my family is safer and our survival chances increase.

I'm hoping this is a better defense than my weapons, as Capt says, we can't afford the logistics of a prolonged engagement. I didn't go overseas and risk all to just come home and have to fight the very ones I defended over poor judgement on their part. By educating and explaining about disasters, maybe we can minimize the MZB, renegades, brigands, (insert favorite apocolyptic villian here), and be able to concentrate on putting society back where it belongs after an event... and as stated by others on other threads, I don't want my family to know what it's like when society rears the ugliness of combat. My wife talks of my being changed now; I can only imagine what the thoughts would be if she witnessed the action firsthand.

Pros: lots of tallent to draw from

Cons: lost of resource usage

no defined leader

lots of people=high profile =/= being the "grey man"

overall, I suggest you just find some local people in a group of no more than 10 maximum and work with what you have. Give people specific rolls and skills they must learn but require everyone to have basic knowledge of all necessary skills.

Marshall Applewhite HEAVENS GATE

JIM JONES Peoples temple

David Koresh BRANCH DAVIDIANS

Huey Newton black panthers

Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA) Patty Hearst

the KKK

PLO

NPA

HAMAS

FLAC

IRA

UDA

Do you see a pattern here? learn to play solitaire

"anything with 2 or more moving parts will break" MURPHY

OH yea I am going out and join a group right now NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!