Sign in to follow this  
PandaSurvivor

Rifles and Side arms

A 22lr is probably the BEST general use survival firearm, unless you live in an area with large predators. You CAN (may not be the best) take deer with it and anything smaller (not recommended for large cats or other predators intent on attacking you).

The 308, M1A1, is a great choice to have for larger game and defense against hostiles, but the 22lr gives you more latitude in what type of game you can take for eating purposes. A 22 rifle and a good sidearm for defense, IMO, is a good pairing for survival. The 22 can also be used for defense and as rayz said, a good shotgun adds alot to your preps, even a 410.

Combat is another "animal" all together.

A 22lr is probably the BEST general use survival firearm, unless you live in an area with large predators. You CAN (may not be the best) take deer with it and anything smaller (not recommended for large cats or other predators intent on attacking you).

The 308, M1A1, is a great choice to have for larger game and defense against hostiles, but the 22lr gives you more latitude in what type of game you can take for eating purposes. A 22 rifle and a good sidearm for defense, IMO, is a good pairing for survival. The 22 can also be used for defense and as rayz said, a good shotgun adds alot to your preps, even a 410.

Combat is another "animal" all together.

Agree reg about the. 22 your going to be shooting at more animals for eating so its a great all purpose rifle

Agree reg about the. 22 your going to be shooting at more animals for eating so its a great all purpose rifle

I think too many People think they need a tool with all the accessories (battle rifle) to begin prepping. I own a few myself (without all the attachments) but they came after I had a good 22lr, shotgun, my muzzleloaders, and a couple different medium and high powered bolt actions. My first firearm was a 22 rifle, an old Savage Model 4C. I then "upgraded" with a lever action 22, then a 12 gauge, a 30/06 bolt action, and a couple more 22's by the time I was 18. I bought an SKS at 21 and sold it and ended up getting an AR for coyote hunting (good deal). I've added a few more muzzleloaders and an AR carbine (M4 to most People's thinking), lever action 45 Colt, and a few sidearms after that.

When I hit the woods, I normally have a 22 bolt action and my 40 S&W for defense against coyotes and feral dogs (the only big predators in my area besides 2 legged vermin) or if feeling traditional, I carry my muzzleloader and a couple muzzleloading pistols to have rapid back up shots available (wild dogs have become a problem of late).

I have the tools necessary if I need to defend my family, but my prepping plans and tools are purchased with gathering food in mind and defense as the secondary option. I don't want to be in combat with my family in tow or even near by. I do not want them to have to witness that area of human existence if I can help it.

Panda,

all responses seem good to me. The basic 3+1 battery is what I consider the 'immediate purchase' for the new gun owner. By 3+1 I mean a basic deer rifle, a shotgun, a handgun (sized for major predator in the area AND ability of shooter to use - pistol or revolver) and the +1 is a .22LR rifle - single shot or semi-auto doesn't matter. The .22 is for the stuff smaller than coyote. It is an extremely flexible weapon and has a great many uses. I would not feel 'unarmed' with just a .22, by the way.

The shotgun is for close in defense and hunting birds, etc. I am not as big a fan of the 12 ga as I was when I was younger. The 20 does just as well at most ranges and has much less recoil. Even the .410 does the job.

My first battery was a .22 pellet gun, .22LR semi rifle, .410 shotgun and a .38 special revolver. I got a .30-30 lever gun much later. The .308 is a solid weapon for the lower 48. It will do a solid job as a deer rifle on up. MAYBE a little light for big bear but it will do the job.

Depending on where you live, you have an excellent start. I loved my M14 (M1A1) when the army gave me one in 1969. I was crushed when they took it away from me for an M16A1. I like the .308 and personally think that either a .308 or .30-06 is just about all the weapon you need for a larger rifle. Carbines or dangerous game animals or close quarters battle rifle or ?? can come later as you find niches you need to fill.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Quote:

I am not as big a fan of the 12 ga as I was when I was younger. The 20 does just as well at most ranges and has much less recoil. Even the .410 does the job.

Unquote:

Wait a second Cap'n. I thought that you liked making BIG holes. You should be recommending a 10 gauge!

;)

I think too many People think they need a tool with all the accessories (battle rifle) to begin prepping. I own a few myself (without all the attachments) but they came after I had a good 22lr, shotgun, my muzzleloaders, and a couple different medium and high powered bolt actions. My first firearm was a 22 rifle, an old Savage Model 4C. I then "upgraded" with a lever action 22, then a 12 gauge, a 30/06 bolt action, and a couple more 22's by the time I was 18. I bought an SKS at 21 and sold it and ended up getting an AR for coyote hunting (good deal). I've added a few more muzzleloaders and an AR carbine (M4 to most People's thinking), lever action 45 Colt, and a few sidearms after that.

I agree. Look for multi-use firearms although I agree that everyone should have a home defense/personal defense firearm that they can manipulate inside and out.

I've got two bolt .22's, 2 semi-auto .22's (just bought one), a .375 (lever), .308 (bolt), .30-06 (semi-auto), a pump .20 ga, single shot break open 20 ga, two semi-auto 12 gauges (one's pretty, one's a turkey gun), and two pump 12 ga (a pretty one and a duck gun) in addition to my "tactical" 12 gauge pump and 5.56 mm AR both of which I bought for work and inherently include personal/home defense properties. I also have four auto pistols and would like to add a couple of revolvers (.22 and .357/.38).

I have a cavalry model Argentine Mauser and a Mosin Nagat that were both given to me, and I don't know anything about either one of them, lol. I've been thinking of stocking a muzzle loader, which I only know the basics about, and a crossbow which I know absolutely nothing about, and with everything else I have going on they are exceptionally far down my list of priorities.

AF, I think a muzzleloader, the flintlock, is the ultimate long term lead launching tool. I have the flintlock next on my list, want another one. To me, it's not only very versatile, but I am a history fan and I just see the link to "rebuilding" with the same tool that "built" as my link to the original Patriots.

I am personally a huge fan of the 9mm BHP and I've got a 7.62X54R Moisin-Nagant sporterized that is extremely accurate. While the M-N is not nearly as tactic-cool as the M1A Springfield is, it sure dispatched a great many Facists in WW II. Ammo is still very inexpensive and it's easy to reload as well. Just my take. I find nothing wrong with the BHP at all, glad I have one too.

Well after thinking about everything here I am going to divided up the weapons between the members of the group. Since I am the one with the most gun experience I will stick with the M1a and the Browning mark III and Assign guns to the others based on there ability.

Quote:

I am not as big a fan of the 12 ga as I was when I was younger. The 20 does just as well at most ranges and has much less recoil. Even the .410 does the job.

Unquote:

Wait a second Cap'n. I thought that you liked making BIG holes. You should be recommending a 10 gauge!

;)

The first REAL firearm I ever shot - that's my grandpa and me and that is a double barrel 10 gauge

post-6-13851498234468_thumb.jpg that I'm holding. Yes, when I fired it I got BOTH barrels at the same time and knocked myself flat!

Cap’n, I deer hunt in upstate New York and every year I hear a guy on the next hill over uncork his 10 gauge. You can’t miss the sound! It is, to say the least, distinctive. And he must be a good shot because I only hear three shots annually.

Hoss, now that’s funny right there!!

I always pictured you being a bit taller Cap! LOL

Well, I am a tad taller now:cool:

Well after thinking about everything here I am going to divided up the weapons between the members of the group. Since I am the one with the most gun experience I will stick with the M1a and the Browning mark III and Assign guns to the others based on there ability.

Panda,

that is always a good idea in any case. Never deliberately hand a firearm to someone whose ability to handle it you doubt. That would be looking for trouble.

m1a and bhp are nice picks. nice guns. but id say the 308 is somewhat limiting for your "only" rifle.

Droptrd,

I'm not completely sure I get your point. I think any deer rifle may be a tad stompy for small furry rodents. Most deer calibers (personally that's 7mm/.280 up, some would argue 5.56/.223 but I think that caliber places too much reliance on the skill of the shooter to be called a 'deer rifle') have the ability to shoot a wide range of bullet weights; it is possible to load out for almost anything. It is just easier for a larger caliber to do the job of a smaller caliber than the other way around. Did I miss something in your meaning? To me the survival rifle is the one that can do the largest number of survival jobs; that moves a survival rifle into the .30 caliber range. If you must have an E&E/bug out/close quarters combat weapon then there are other options but the .308/.30-06 will do those roles and still be a solid hunting arm. I'm not sure I could say the same thing for a 5.56.

I'm not sure I could say the same thing for a 5.56.

i have to disagree i've seen a caribou drop at 100 yards with a 5.56. and you can still use it as a varmint rifle

CCJ,

I think you have missed my point. I am well aware that a solid shot from a 5.56 will drop a large animal. The question is will a single shot drop that caribou if you're off a couple of inches. I've read of elephants taken with 7.63X39 but that doesn't make the AK an elephant gun. (I'm told it took around a hundred rounds before the poachers finally killed that elephant; I'd like to explain the error of their ways to them :mad:) To my way of thinking, a 'name of animal here' gun is a gun the average shooter can use to bag that animal with one shot.

I've also seen squirrels (well prairie dogs actually) taken with a 5.56 and while I agree they were harvested I am not sure you have enough meat left to eat. The 5.56 is a tad much for those size animals which is why I like the .22LR for that niche. Wolf, coyote, hog, yep, I agree that the 5.56 is a solid rifle for that use.

AF, I think a muzzleloader, the flintlock, is the ultimate long term lead launching tool. I have the flintlock next on my list, want another one. To me, it's not only very versatile, but I am a history fan and I just see the link to "rebuilding" with the same tool that "built" as my link to the original Patriots.

Reg, I totally missed this reply. What kind of flintlock do you have? I really didn't even think about going as far back as a flintlock assuming if I got a muzzleloader I'd get a percussion cap Knight or something. That's a good nugget you've planted there.

A quick Google search resulted in some very pretty albeit very expensive flintlocks. Can you give us a link to what you have, something similar, or what you'd encourage us to get?

Being a recipient of the Cabela's catalog this is what immediately came to my mind. http://www.cabelas.com/traditional-rifles-shotguns-cabelas-traditional-hawken-flintlock-rifle-hand-1.shtml

Bart

I do agree, and allow me to point out that was a hell of a shot. I was just thinking that a .30cal is great for larger game, the .223/5.56 is a better all around caliber in my opinion. I could hunt deer with it, and if i miss and there's a squirrel next door i have a chance at that as well. Whereas if you only had a .30 the squirrel is completely out of the question. There would be nothing left to harvest, you would have better luck with the .223/5.56. Also the ammunition is lighter.

I do also agree with wally it is best to have a battery, but in a shtf situation it may not be feasible to cary 3 different rifles and a side arm plus the rest of your gear. say you've been in the shit for 3 months, no vehicle, not much in the way of supplies, exhausted, hungry, sore, are you really gonna drag around 4 firearms when you could use one long gun and a side arm. I wouldn't.... Jmo

Savage has brought back the model 24 .22 lr/ .410 as the model 42 with a .22 WMR option as well this is a real contender for a single rifle in the hands of a skilled shooter it would make a few hundred round feed a guy for a good while and the Taurus 905 revolver (9mm also shoots .380 and 9mm mak) is a interesting choice if one pistol, but for me as a father of 5, three of which or old enough and at varying level I have the advantage of mixing things up a little like,

10 year old ...... Mossberg .410 defender pump and .327 mag revolver( shoot all .32 short, long hr mag)Have neither

14 year old ...... marlin 336 in .30/30 and SW sigma ( he's the only that can hit with the damn thing)

16 year old....... Savage bolt .22 and .357 revolver (his preferred)

Wife .......new England 12 ga 18" and pf9 ( she doesnt hunt and anything she shoots is going to be up close and personal defense for her and the twins)

Me..... My enfield and mak ( got go with what you can hit with and these two and me go way back)