Sign in to follow this  
101matt

Solar water/A Simple Solar Oven Makes Salt Water Drinkable

This should be easy to make...

Notice that it is intended for 3rd world countrys,and it is OPEN SOURCE so anyone can use and make it with out infrindging on somebodys desighn..

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670546/a-simple-solar-oven-makes-salt-water-drinkable#1

What do you think? Could this be used In Texas along the coast/along the entire Gulf coast?

It works but you can make a simpler one with a 5' square piece of clear plastic a bowl (canteen cup) and a rock. Also any time that you are near the coast water is actually pretty simple to find and get too. Because fresh water is lighter than salt water it floats on top. Back off the beach past at least the first dunes and start to dig. When you get to wet sand stop and let the hole fill. The water will be fresh. The only places that this isn't true as far as I know are on the west coast of Africa where the desert comes right to the beach and parts of Australia for the same reason. If it almost never rains there just isn't any fresh water.

Trivia fact...the surface water in the ocean off the coast of South America where the mouth of the Amazon ends is fresh water almost a hundred miles out to sea.

Danm is correct. Back in boot camp they used to teach making a basic solar still. And they always preached the simpler the better. Also, they taught us to waste NO liquids so, when it was time to urinate, you collected your bodily fluids, placed it in the solar still and waited to re-drink the water. Sound nasty but I think everyone would do it in a pinch.

As a child we used to spend lots of time fishing in a out of the way beach/cove,some times a river was near by,other times we would have to bring water.So one of our friends was a sugar mill engineer,he build a still

which sat on top of logs set on fire,full of salt water it created condensation,at the other end of the coil,sweet water came out,after doing a little research,dirty water will also come out clean and pure,212 degrees will purified anything.Steam will turn into water anytime,just have to catch it.I try my set-up with a

pressure cooker and copper tubing,it works,imaging a 10 gallon still.

I also came across this.

http://stovetopstill.com/

B)

Edited by readytogo1955

I am watching some show on Discovery and the guys are driving a Jeep thru the desert. And what are they doing right now? Building a solar still and peeing into the hole so they can take advantage of every bit of water available. Of course one says that he won’t drink his own pee. Wanna bet? When he gets thirsty he will.

Ready, nice set up that seems easy to build. Thanks for the idea!