Sign in to follow this  
excoastie

When did 'they' become the enemy?

While at the gun shop the other day completing the bartering we had agreed upon (swapped a rifle for a pistol) two gentlemen entered the shop. As is the norm around these parts, they started badmouthing the government and the pathetic gun laws we must endure. Then one of them asked an interesting question which was:

“When did the government become the ‘enemy’ of the people?”

Now they talked and talked about it and none – not one of them knew the answer. I knew the answer but held off telling them answer so they could complete their rant. At the end of the rant I told them that I actually had the time and know the president that first violated the Constitution. In my mind, the first president that used the Constitution of the United States as a urinal cookie was none other than the great Abraham Lincoln. And since that time, presidents like Wilson, FDR and their ilk have made it a habit ever since.

Well, when I told the two guys in the gun shop that news, they I had no clue as to what I was saying. I then asked them if they ever read the Constitution. They hung their heads in shame and I said, “I didn’t think so!”

So, do you agree with me or do you disagree? Was "Honest Abe" the first president to treat the sheeple as the enemy?

Or was it George Washington during the Whiskey Rebellion? I'll agree that "Honest Abe" wasn't as "great" (IMO) as history would have us believe, but I think it started with GW and it has steadily gotten worse, now they just don't try to hide it.

We made History by calling our gov't a "democracy" and a Constitutional Republic, but they enacted the laws and regulations to ensure the "gentry/aristocrats" were the only ones who were elected for the most part. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we've only had a few truly "public servants" who have held the Highest Office.

Wally, we went downhill as soon as they started using regulations to circumvent the Constitutional Amendment process, where each federal "law" had to be approved by the States.

You can think of the Cival War as a "war between the guilds" of the feudal societies of the past. The South was fighting against taxation on the slaves they owned (Ag Guild) and the North wanted higher "property" taxes, in lieu of taxes on goods and services, paid by the Southerners and NOT have to pay on their "slaves", the factory workers; who usually were treated far worse than any slave was. It was a "tax war" far more than a "slavery war". The Emancipation Proclamation wasn't even written or granted until 3 years AFTER the Civil War shooting started.

My first reaction was to say Post-Franklin. ONce everyone who helped right the COnstitution were all dead, we were doomed. Because ALL of the true passion for the new country was gone.

He may not have been the last author to die, but you get my point.

hi all

i have no proof,since i'm not that old (almost).but i believe they only said certain words.contitution ect , where used to get the population acting with them.it was always a scam.biteadick arnold got nothin for treason ,while lowly soldiers were shot for falling asleep on guard duty after fighting all day.the officers made sure they got there sleep,after all the had to watch it all day.the were tuckered out after making all those decissions.or was it the war of 1812,when the got the pirates to help fight england,then afterwards they captured and hung them.well guess i better quit thinking out loud,before i get in trouble.

Reg, I had to do some quick reading because it had been a while since I read of the Whiskey Rebellion. However, I believe that the Whiskey Tax was legal as per Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution. The new tax was created to pay of the national debt and that is exactly what the Art 1 Sec 8 authorizes.

I do, however, find it ‘interesting’ that the government sent soldiers to bring peace to western PA. That is something I hope never happens again. Just like the Japanese Internment, slavery, N.I.N.A, and other stains on our history, using government troops against civilians is a very bad thing… but that’s for another thread.

Nobody, yours is an excellent answer. I hadn’t thought on that great of a scale. I was thinking only since the Constitution had been written. Just goes to show you, even when you think you know the answer, asking the question might open your eyes. So, +1 to you, Sir.

Actually Coastie, I would have agreed if the taxes would have been tariff's since the whiskey was being brought in from "outside" the Colonies. The federal gov't (much the same as now) taxed the citizens without honoring their duty to provide protection or other "infrastructure/services". The only people who seemed to benefit was the gov't itself and the landowners who "risked it all" during the War For Independence. This is a personal theory and opinion and I have not studied it enough to offer a detailed argument either way.

I will offer this 1 thought tho.... if they needed the tax monies to pay off the debt, why do we have "Uncle Sam"? I thought he was the benefactor who paid off our debts?

I believe the ‘Uncle Sam provides all’ mentality really bloomed under FDR. He never saw a government program he didn’t love and that he wouldn’t fund using the labor of others. So many people think FDR was one of the best presidents of all time. They say he ended the Great Depression when, in reality, he made it last longer.

Bill Tell, most Americans fear speaking or writing about ‘Honest Abe’ with a negative connotation. Those people rarely – if ever – have read the Constitution and they erroneously feel that the Civil War was fought to end slavery. That proves they know the their history as well as they do the Constitution.