Sign in to follow this  
Grant H.

M4 Carbine questions

I have never owned held or shot an M4. I plan on going and testing out a few but was just curious what everyone else felt and thought about the N4. I'm not sure that Im going to buy one yet but I do feel like it would be a good weapon to have on hand. Kind of like an AK.

I have never owned held or shot an M4. I plan on going and testing out a few but was just curious what everyone else felt and thought about the N4. I'm not sure that Im going to buy one yet but I do feel like it would be a good weapon to have on hand. Kind of like an AK.

Modern M-4/ AR platforms are very good dependable weapons Gas Pistoned platforms are superior over Direct Gas Impingement. The standard 5.56/.223 weapons are lacking in stopping power and high in over penetration but cheap and common. The 6.8 is a good step up but is hard to come by and expensive. 7.62x51/.308 is superior but is loud and has a bit of recoil but excellent stopping power, versatility, range and availability. For the weight, size, durability and cost the avg AR M-4 is an outstanding and versatile weapon yes there are cheaper platforms out there but you almost always lose something or gain masssive cost for upgrade excessories ect. Or the other end of the spectrum you pay big bucks for the superduper loaded specialty platform that is hard to work on the parts are hard to get and exceedingly expensive ect. A few examples the AK dependable weapon cheap excessories are expensive most require some modification to the weapon and the weapon is not a reliably accurate platform unless your real close thats more personal than I prefer using an intermediate 7.62x39 round. The venerable M1A based on the M-14 firing the 7.62x51/ .308 outstanding range, knockdown power and accuracy the platform excessories are limited mods expensive the basic weapon is long and the platform is heavy for most, and the initial cost is mid range a little more than the avg M-4 bot on par with the 7.62x51/.308 M-4s. Than we go to the H&K SOCOM very expensive out of the box all the parts are proprietery, expensive are shipped from germany and are non interchangable with any other platform (unless you get a government model) however quality and reliability wise this is a benchmark platform that allows for easy modification and changes along with the H&K the Remington/Bushmaster ACR is the same altough the trigger assembly is interchangable.

Edited by warrior7r

colt is the standard for them but if you are on a budget but still looking for quality you might want to check Del-ton, I own a del-ton custom build M4 style rifle and it runs like a champ. if you can afford a colt then that will your best option though the 6920 models are going for about $1100-$1200 for a base model. Like warrior said they are great carbine style rifles very versatile and accurate. you might also want to look at one with a gas piston system since they shoot cleaner than the direct impingement system of a normal AR style rifle I actually had a gas piston put on mine after i bought it and i t has been awesome, less cleaning and no loss of accuracy. on that note that is another cool thing about these rifles, they are the Barbies of the gun world, more configurations and accessories to fit each individual user than you can shake a stick at. it works as home defense, survival, combat, and sporting rifle all in one

on the note adding to warrior's comment about 5.56mm he is right about over penetration because it is a fast little bullet even though it is the most common caliber for that rifle. if you are concerned about that then you might want to check out the .300AAC round being chambered for AR rifles, they may have found the sweet spot between the small light "carry more" of the 5.56 and the stopping power of the larger .308.

I've got a smith and wesson m&p 15 from a pawn shop for $650, standard gas impignent system. it still had factory grease on it. I've fired over 2000 rnds with it and haven't had a single misfire or jam. The thing works like a pro. So from my experience so far this might be a good option for you. Cabellas has them for about $700 before taxes and such.

just my 2 cents

CarsonCityJay, I second the shout out for the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 as a good, solid choice. I take mine to the range routinely and I have never had any trouble with it. Right price, reliable performance and you can "commando" it up as you please.

I've heard nothing but good things about dmps panther and their lowest basic. .223 is $594

Twolf,

As usual for this conversation I will say something about .223 vs 5.56. While I am not an AR fan, if you are going to have one, get the 5.53 not the .223. A .223 and a 5.56 will fit in either chamber. The 5.56 will safely shoot the .223 with no problem.

The reverse is NOT true. The .223 can not safely shoot the 5.56! Due to the way chamber pressure is measured and some minor design differences (if creating a bomb is minor!) a 5.56 puts the equivalent of a max pressure test round in a .223 chamber. EVERY 5.56 round fired in a .223 is a proof test shot! The gun may take it, at least for a while, but it is not something I'd want to do often. Since I can't tell just by a casual glance if I have a .223 or a 5.56 and since both will chamber and fire in either, I would always choose to go to the 5.56 instead of the .223. I'm a coward when it comes to things that go BOOM but I'm 63 and still have all my fingers and eyes. In a stressful environment damaging or blowing up a gun is too great a risk for me to accept. Any financial savings by buying .223 instead of 5.56 would not make up for the uncertainty of having the correct ammo.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Twolf,

As usual for this conversation I will say something about .223 vs 5.56. While I am not an AR fan, if you are going to have one, get the 5.53 not the .223. A .223 and a 5.56 will fit in either chamber. The 5.56 will safely shoot the .223 with no problem.

The reverse is NOT true. The .223 can not safely shoot the 5.56! Due to the way chamber pressure is measured and some minor design differences (if creating a bomb is minor!) a 5.56 puts the equivalent of a max pressure test round in a .223 chamber. EVERY 5.56 round fired in a .223 is a proof test shot! The gun may take it, at least for a while, but it is not something I'd want to do often. Since I can't tell just by a casual glance if I have a .223 or a 5.56 and since both will chamber and fire in either, I would always choose to go to the 5.56 instead of the .223. I'm a coward when it comes to things that go BOOM but I'm 63 and still have all my fingers and eyes. In a stressful environment damaging or blowing up a gun is too great a risk for me to accept. Any financial savings by buying .223 instead of 5.56 would not make up for the uncertainty of having the correct ammo.

LIKE ALWAYS YOU ARE CORRECT SIR! I believe t was the same or close to the same price for what you are talking about

Twolf,

capt bart speaks loads of truth.. the 5.56mm has a lot more chamber pressure than the .223 and rifles chambered for only .223 cannot handle the higher pressures from the military grade round. It is something like 20,000 psi difference whereas the 5.56mm can handle the lighter pressures from the .223 all day long

Edited by wardog513