Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

who is currenty reading what?

Is The Prince still required reading in high school civics/government classes?

Just reserved some books at the library: A Midwife's Tale: the Life of Martha Ballard; A Train in Winter; and The Great Depression.

Is CIVICS still required in high school or grade school? I had civics in the 7th and 8th grades, both Texas and US. I also had world, Texas and US history in 6th, 7th and 8th grades. I get the feeling we are too busy studying 'green' subjects and how old white guys ruined the world to actually study how things work or got to be the way they are.:mad:

That is the reason I love teachers and can barely tolerate "EDUCATORS". Those who go to great pains to point out they are educators rarely teach!

Just my not so humble opinion.

Capt., I really got a kick out of Texas History in 7th grade.

For fun I am reading the Apocalypsis series by Elle Casey. This is usually a YA author but though the series is about a group of teenagers surviving after a pandemic, this story is not for kids. Food is in short supply 6-8 months after the virus wipes out a huge chunk of the population (mainly anyone not going through puberty, which is kind of a silly caveat) and Cannibals are on the loose. Some pretty grim stuff here when our heroes go into a cannibal meat locker to save some of the folks held there. The cannibals figured out the meat lasts longer if you only eat it a piece at a time. It made me a little queasy reading that part.

Anyway, the story has some interesting survival stuff in there regarding the use of solar ovens, solar water heating, and surviving in the Everglades. The author has done a good bit of research. Not a "how to" guide, but entertaining and enlightening. Even has some parts about the snakes native and imported in the swamp, since they are a staple for their diet.

TB,

the problem for me with stories like that is that if you bump off 99+% of the population, food is NOT the biggest problem. Three days food for 4.5 million lasts a really long time for 30,000! It is just a glitch in the basic formation of the story that I can't seem to get around.

Just read Collapse: Your On Your Own on an airplane ride out to Tuscon this past week. I found it to be a different kind of post-EMP world book. No wild biker gangs or terrible descriptions of millions dying in the cities. Instead it was an intensely personal book about an extended family surviving in a world without electricity.

Good information about prepping, recipes, and guarding your property.

It was not fancy writing, very down to earth. I would recommend it.

Edited by Rod

Is CIVICS still required in high school or grade school? I had civics in the 7th and 8th grades, both Texas and US. I also had world, Texas and US history in 6th, 7th and 8th grades. I get the feeling we are too busy studying 'green' subjects and how old white guys ruined the world to actually study how things work or got to be the way they are.:mad:

That is the reason I love teachers and can barely tolerate "EDUCATORS". Those who go to great pains to point out they are educators rarely teach!

Just my not so humble opinion.

Capt - Texas history brings back fond memories of my seventh grade class. Best teacher I ever had.

I highly recommend "Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies and Why", by Laurence Gonzales. It is a fascinating book on how we identify threats/crises and our reactions. I am reading it for the second time. There is so much good information on the psychology and physiology of how we deal with threats, etc. Check it out. Lots to learn about ourselves.

If nothing else just read the prologue about his father.

I just finished "One Second After". That book scared me more than when the baby alien popped through the guy's chest and ran around the spaceship! But I was 11 when I saw Alien. I started prepping because I looked at the world and started to understand. Sometimes I wish I didn't know what I know. Ya know?

"OSA" offered a terrifying picture of what could be and all I can think now is, "I'm not ready yet!"

Ps- let me rephrase that- TERRIFYING!!!!!!

It's my second time reading Ferfal's The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving The Economic Collapse, which is a must read of first hand experience. Next in line after that is On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by Dave Grossman

http://www.amazon.com/dp/9870563457?tag=surviinargen-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=9870563457&adid=0YS947GSKAMG2T1ARMC6&

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316330116/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

Edited by Rapture333

Hossfly, Patriots has some good stuff but I doubt many of us are in a place in our lives where we could become good Rawlesian survivalists. I know I can't give up my career and go live in the wilds of Idaho, much as I would like to, but still some of the ideas are useful. One Second After nearly made me crap my pants it was so scary.

Okay, I finally bought One Second After because everyone keeps talking about it! LOL Yes, it seems that I am weak when it comes to peer pressure after all. Apparently if you guys all jump off a bridge, I'll be right behind you yelling, "Cannonball!" LOL

FYI, for people following this thread: Texas Bill started a thread on Survival Fiction a few months ago, and there are dozens of books discussed and reviewed there. It might be a good jumping-off point for some of you to pick which books to read (and which to avoid as being too ridiculous to endure).

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?594-Survival-Fiction-or-Learning-is-Fun!

Civics class? Never heard of it, graduated high school last year lol. Of course, I never really learned much in High School. I'm just a naturally curious person, so I learned most of what I know on my own. Thank God, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Plus I'm just a more informed person.

Ok, so I read Patriots and Im about 150 pages into One Second After. Overall as far as Patriots went I liked it but for me he overdid it as far as being over detailed. I would have to say that I like one second after a lot more so far. Much more realistic as far as what most people would have during a SHTF event. I would have to say it paints a very dark picture of how most people would react after an EMP attack.

Rick, One Second After was a fair read. It definitely brought up some points that I think most of the sheople would overlook. It did seem to knock certain types of firearms and the People who own them (IMO) but they ended up needing them. I'd get it from the library and save my money if I had to do it again...lol. I think you'll enjoy it, but it didn't rivet me. I'm not a big reader on apocalyptic fiction tho.

reading the "heir to the empire" trilogy by timothy Zahn. its star wars for you non star wars geeks :)

my next two are going to be the third and fourth books in the monster hunter series by larry correia.. good series and he is a gun guy in real life

read the rawles book "patriots" as a training manual it had some good pointers. as a story it sucked. he went way into too much detail and way into too much religion it was too clean as far as a suppoosed chaotic collapse scenario. plus his tips to prepping involve you having a 7 digit salary and all the free time in the world which 90% of us do not have

"One second after" was much better and i think it hit the despair that will affect us after a collapse like. plus it was based pretty darn near where i live anyway so it hit home in that aspect

I think I am keeping those guys in business over at Baen Books. Drake, Ringo, Corriea, Bujold...the list goes on from there. Wardog, I love those BOLO books from Keith Laumer, and I think John Ringo wrote one too entitled Road to Damascus that was really good.