Sign in to follow this  
LivingGray

"You gotta have faith"

From "The Survivor's Club"

A study over multiple years and involving a large sampling group indicates that people who go to church 1 day each week live 6.6 years longer than people who do not go to church - and if they go to church twice a week their longevity is increased to 7.6 years.

Another finding - people who do not have any religious faith have a 6% to 10% lower chance of survival in an emergency than people who do have faith. This study has to do with people's Faith - and nothing to do with the existance of God.

Survivability increased by faith involves belief in a higher being. It is not particular to the Christian religion - it applies to any religious belief system, including New Age Faith. It seems that when the going gets tough, the people who can draw resilience from outside of themselves have the advantage.

Edited by LivingGray
Spelling error correction

I am not a religious man ( in the traditional sense) but I do believe your statistic. It makes sense, no matter what you have faith or hope in that anything that can put you in a semi positive or more optimistic mind frame would help you to survive. I have hope, faith and a sense of something bigger than myself.

There was a study many years ago. A mouse was placed in a deep pool of water (for a mouse) and a second mouse was place in a pool where the water was just slightly deep enough to keep the mouse from standing on the bottom and breathing. The first mouse gave up and drowned (I'm told they weren't allowed to die). The second mouse went on for several hours longer - every time he sank, he felt the bottom and started trying to swim again. Hope is a powerful fuel - even in animals who don't have any belief system.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Absent any objective knowledge of whether God/a Higher Power exists and whether God/HP is in any way interested in our lives, it still makes sense. If people can feel relief from ailments even when they're given placebo pills instead of pharmaceuticals, then it's clear that what we tell ourselves can have a profound impact on our physical and mental well-being.

If/when it's really the end of the world as we know it (or TSHTF and we assume it is), we really have only two options: give up or carry on. And even if we continue to go through the motions, if our inner monologue is telling us that things are hopeless, that life is horrible, that it's pointless to go on, at some point that's going to be enough for us to hesitate when we should act or not pay attention when in danger or to quit when one more push could have made all the difference. But if our inner monologue tells us that there's reason and order to the universe (even if we can't see it now), that good still actively exists, that we are important to God/HP and therefore our actions today and every day are important too, and that we have an obligation/expectation that we will help our family, friends, and others in need, then we won't simply be going through the motions but will (hopefully) put the thought needed into our activities that will enable us to survive.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe." ~ Saint Augustine

"Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light." ~ Helen Keller

"Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry." ~ Oliver Cromwell

My views are tainted by recent TV shows on the paranormal if one thing they have caught is true then we are left with a sure knowledge

there is another side {I have my own views on this}

Now that we have that out of the way, It confuses me as to the human condition of having no faith or fatalistic.

Misplaced faith as in, I can fly iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii SpLaT* or I can jump 20 buses with my moped, I think we need to place a clear marker between

self induced stupid and faith.

I could go into a novel on this subject but should not discount there is another place.other than the obvious.

As a youngster, i was always taught God wont just do something for you. You have to pray (ask) for his help.

People like to wear thier FAITH like its a good luck charm... and then ask "why have you forsaken me".

I have faith, yet dont attend a congregation, which my church going bible-belt kin dont approve of. I dont feel the need to congregate to prove my faith to others.

NavyVet_77

I understand your feelings on "meetings" but it is not for us we go to be a benefit to others even itf it is just to listen to them bitch

or laugh with one another gathering together is also a way to show our solidarity if a church was there and no one was then how

would it attract others or help.

I am not beating my own drum because of the limited amount I can do but I am involved with food bank and I give to organizations.

if no one was here to give out the donations people would go without food especially children and to me that would be a travesty.

Christianity is a voluntary group our ambition is to attract those who are lost {not just from God / Christ} but in the world and give them our

message if they reject it that is for them to decide.

If we are not there then who will deliver the message? or will comfort those in trouble.

King James Bible Hebrews 9:28

So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

English Standard Version Hebrews 9:28

so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

I have heard the argument that God and Christians are judgmental {we are} because we have judged ourselves and knowing we are sinners

we have decided to try a different way if you have no faults and are perfect why would you want what Christians have.

As you can see above if you are a Christian your exempt from judgment only because of his sacrifice like being the member of A free club

your a member you show up you get lunch.

It is real simple to follow don't lie, steal, cheat, commit adultery fixate on things that are not yours, or murder, honor your father & mother

if that is a bad thing i do not see it. the rest deal with faith but if the first expects you to what is right and it also keeps you out of trouble

then what's so bad about it?

in or out of church I will tell someone to stop being a prick or whatever fits I am also there to watch for destructive behavior toward each other or toward

Gods ideals or people being divisive we are all just as guilty as the other no need to be jerks toward anyone else.

As a youngster, i was always taught God wont just do something for you. You have to pray (ask) for his help.

I'm more new age than someone who follows conventional religion, but I think prayer (or meditation) is such an important part of life. It helps you clarify what's going on inside YOU, helps you focus on what you want/need, and may even open you up to new answers that aren't simply "I ask for X and get X from God" because sometimes it's the NOT getting or the getting something else that actually is the best outcome for you.

One of my favorite quotes about religion is by the philosopher Soren Kiekegaard: "The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays."

There was a study many years ago. A mouse was placed in a deep pool of water (for a mouse) and a second mouse was place in a pool where the water was just slightly deep enough to keep the mouse from standing on the bottom and breathing. The first mouse gave up and drowned (I'm told they weren't allowed to die). The second mouse went on for several hours longer - every time he sank, he felt the bottom and started trying to swim again. Hope is a powerful fuel - even in animals who don't have any belief system.

You know, I always wonder about the kind of mind that can devise this type of test. And even if the mouse was not allowed to die, he already did so several times I am sure. Isn't that the definition of torture? :confused:

You know, I always wonder about the kind of mind that can devise this type of test. And even if the mouse was not allowed to die, he already did so several times I am sure. Isn't that the definition of torture? :confused:

Rod: you post the darnedest things they do not see it as the torture of an ignorant animal but pure research you know like Dr. Mengele operating on all those inferiors cruelty in any form is sickening to me.

I never understood such clinical detachment could make a person a better human being some how it seems sociopathic to me.

OC

having meditated and pushed my fist through a cinder block I can say personally that there is a major difference between meditation and my prayer

life many instances my life has been spared as the Bible states "no weapon formed against you will prosper" .

I seem to do well even though I do nothing different than others in my similar situation the new view is that if you can mentally visualize the object of your desire you can attain it, guess they cannot imagine a million dollars because if so everyone of the new agers would have it.

I find it odd that I have seen true miracles and clinical observers deny the event and make all sorts of reasonings on the mechanism of it's happening.

Urban Wolf

I would refer you to Hebrews 9:28 it's paid in full a done deal as long as you profess your a follower and it cannot be taken from you only you can reject

your salvation.

science can imagine all these parallel universes time travel particles that move faster than light and do it with mathematics and yet not understand that

it is an impossibility that there was not a creator.

take a 21 jewel pocket watch take it all apart put it in a cigar box shake it up every time you pass it, and if your a evolutionist then one day you will shake it and it and when you open the box it will be back together in running order. and they call Christians crazy.......