Sign in to follow this  
wilkins

Primary firearm: Assault Rifle or shotgun?

Hey guys,

Haven't been here for a while since I got my new job, but I thought I'd post a new question.

You can only pick between the two: Would you rather take a shotgun or an Assault rifle (M4 type or SKS, doesn't matter) in your bug-out bag and why are you chosing said weapon?

I came up with this question because I myself would like an M4 but lake the money (and will for a while) to purchase an M4 so I started thinking than a shotgun might be a good idea. I've never liked the idea of a shotgun though because ammo is bulky and heavy for it, as well as you have to pump each shell and load them one at a time.

So let me know what everyone would pick!

Wilkins

Depends on a lot of things but here is my view:

Since you are putting this in your bug out bag and a BOB,to me, is only to get you from a a bad place to your bug out location. The general consensus is that a BOB is for 72 hours (give or take 24 hours) so the Firearm is for protection not hunting. In that case (you only get to have one) a shotgun is the cheaper cost of the gun and is excellent protection against handguns (most bad guys in the city use handguns).

FYI you said you don't like shotguns as you have to pump each shell and load them one at a time.... you could get a sagia 12 which is a 12gauge shotgun based on the AK platform, semi Auto with Magazines that hold 10 rounds and up. Of course you are right that the shot shell are heavy,

I carry a 40cal pistol every day and plan to carry my AR10 if I have to bug out. But you did not mention that combination.

I'd go with the M4.

I already have a few handguns, a shotgun and a few rifles, so there money has already been spent. I'm of the mentality that a handgun is used for you to get to a SMG or a Shotgun and that gets you to a rifle. The M4 is more accurate, holds more rounds and each round is smaller than a shotgun round.

If I wasn't limited to just one, I'd have at least a pistol, shotgun and the M4. But then again, more guns = more ammo you need to carry.

there are pros and cons to each. If money was a factor then get a shotgun. Perosnally I would always get a shotgun and here is why. They are cheap ( compared to a carbine) so the the extra money could be spent on ammo. They are very easy to clean and honestly they don't really need to be cleaned that often. At close range they are more devastating than an AR. A shot gun can be used in more hunting applications than an AR, birds and other animals would be pretty hard to hit on the run with an AR. And here is the biggest factor, for me, when choosing firearms for survival. Is the kind of ammo you use for that weapon easy to find, and I don't just mean at stores. If you had to go through someones house what would be the most commone calibers people would have. I may be wrong but here is the list I go by. .22, 9mm, 38, 40, 45, 223, 308, and 12 gauge. Take 38 and 308 out of that list and I think those are the most common types of ammo used. Also think of the area you are in. If it is a big city theres more likely a chance of running into handgun ammo than anything else. I live in an area where there is a lot of hunting so I would run into more shotgun ammo and .22. One day I will get an AR just because I want one and for bugging in I think they are great because of the range factor. But for walking around money, I put it all on a good shotgun any day.

Short range or long range. With a smoothbore w/o slugs or buckshot you're talking 50 yards max for effect. Since the AR or AK has uses for all reasonable ranges, it would be my choice. If you expect or anticipate close quarters interruptions, then a 12-gauge is very effective, but it also implies the danger is closer than you may wish it to be. I'd first concentrate on any threat from varying ranges with the rifle then try for a pistol to back it up. A good Remington 870 can be bought at a gun show for $200 or less.

I would say it depends on many things. Money (or more so the willingness to part ways with it), skill levels with different firearms, and what your overall goal is for said firearm. If it for defense, and defense only, I am partial to a rifle for a whole host of reasons (larger capacity, quicker follow up shots if you miss, accuracy, range, etc.) but a shotgun has its advantages. First off, if you are new to longguns in general, they are easy to use, and maintain. The learning curve with a shotgun is not nearly as steep as with a rifle (ie they are much easier to learn IMHO), and ammunition is fairly plentiful (get one chambered in 3" magnum, and you can run just about any cartridge through it). Also, there are a variety of rounds that can be used, for different applications. That being said, if it is a pump, you must pump each round. 12Ga's have a fairly descent amount of recoil, rounds are heavy (esp slug rounds) and must be loaded manually (unless you have a mag fed one). But they are hideously reliable. I clean my mossberg after every outing, but the thing is loose like an AK. Shotguns are the most modifiable firearms on the market next to AR's, and you can do just about anything you want with them. If you have skill with a rifle, get a rifle. I feel they are a better bet for the more disciplined and skilled individuals ( I was an infantry Marine for eight years, I like rifles, they are very familiar to me). If you are starting off, get a shotgun. Bart has made some good points on 20Ga vs 12Ga, but ultimately, the choice is up to you. Hope this helps.

I'm going with a shotgun. 3 reasons 1.) I already have and I've already tricked mine out. 2.) I have trained with and "perfected" the tactics I'll be employing. 3.) I'm starting my bug out from a major urban center and am over 50 miles from open country. I'll be in urban CQB mode for two plus days on my way out unless I can stay in vehicles. Even if I stay mounted the shotgun works from in a vehical, takes about half a minute to take the buttstock off and the it is just a pump with a pistol grip. That's how I got there. You do what works for you.

I would take a shotgun, a Keltec KSG if I could find one or my Mossburg 590 loaded with 3" OO buck. The gun would be for protection during a Bugout and nothing gets a bad guys attention like a shotgun. As for the limited range I wouldn't engage anyone pass 50 yrds anyway. If they are further away than that I feel that I could evade them a lot easier than becoming involved in a shootout.

My choice is an m4,you can carry a lot of ammo and you can lay out some serious firepower if need be and you can hit at much longer distance than a shotgun. Can you shoot a flying meal ,probably not, but that is my choice.

I like both the shotgun and the M4geries. It depends on what situation Im in at the time, probably makes no sense to

most folks but I can see the "need" for both in urban, suburban and rural applications. Having personally been invited to the 1992 Rodney King Uprisin' (thank you Maxine Waters), both hqve their place in mymopinion. Sorry I am not much "help" I can't get comfortable to limiting myself to one or the other. Weird, huh?

Terrain would be the deciding factor, if I had money for my choice of either. Do you expect to have to deal with lots of open areas (plains, desert, farmland, etc) or more congested places (buildings, heavy underbrush, forest, etc)?

The rifle gives you an advantage if you are forced to engage at med-long range, the shotgun gives you an advantage in utility (multiple types of ammo) and raw damage at close-med range.

Personally, I'd go with a shotgun for a bunch of reasons: the variety of ammo, the utter dependability of a pump action (though you can buy a semi auto shotgun easily enough), the predominance of urban terrain where I need to travel, and my intention to avoid any long range fights if at all possible. There are a few other secondary factors, mostly psychological, that favor the shotgun - people who are unfamiliar with actual shotgun ballistics often overestimate its potential killing power (and are thus more intimidated by one than by an M16 clone), the absolutely distinctive sound of a shotgun slide being racked, and the fact that a pump action makes it much harder to waste ammo in a "spray-n-pray" moment.

Colt AR-15 or CZ 858 assault rifle is what i've trained with, that's what i'd be holding on to. I like the idea of reaching out & touching the targets, which the shotgun has it's limitations for distant.

If finances are short, then I would recommend a .22LR rifle, 12ga. and a 7.62x54R bolt action carbine, such as the M44 series. The M44 is good for long range game shooting. The 12ga. is a good close range weapon which was quite effective in Viet Nam as a contact breaker. (dense wooded or jungle type areas). The .22 is a good rifle for harvesting tree rats and rabbits. Some type of pistol is also recommended when fund come available.

I am with viz9

I have many yard tools none are perfect for all work a framing hammer is not for hammering

finish nails nor is a sledge hammer good for digging and this analogy works for weapons.

if a "EVENT" occurs not having all your stuff loaded and at the ready would be foolish.

During the Indian wars folks with more than one weapon loaded them all rifle pistol and shot gun.

It would be no different now since most individuals will have less than a few boxes of reserve

I am not so sure of mass volleys more like bang threat bang threat kind of intimidation.

my primary weapon is going to be the Ruger 10/22 rifle 10 and 25 round mags enough firepower

out beyond 100 yards on non protected entities, has optics and a laser for snap shooting.

Side arm a Ruger 22/45 only for commonality of ammo out to 50 yards 6 mags 10 rounds each.

Remington 870 pump for anything up to 30 to 40 yards with #4 buck also for bum rushes.

slugs are for "protected" personnel a crotch shot will fold them up like a cardboard box and

injure them enough not to be a ongoing threat or probably massive internal injuries. or broken bones.

An AR for any specific need out to 500 yards 20 magazines 20 and 30 round.

has optics laser and a thermal unit.

A 308 for any need of more penetration or more range but that would be rare as there are no areas with

a better than 300 yard open space it has good optics.

other toys are for other uses or if I am away from one area but I am defending not assaulting.

I have no intention of harming others only protecting my property and life.

Everyone need to remember there will be a reckoning after any event some legal some out of

revenge but it will happen so if your not within your rights it will come back to haunt you.

M4, a pistol is good but I want to have some reach as well.

Doc,

The M4 is good, however it is expensive. We are talking about an inexpensive starter outfit. The M44 carbine, 7.62x54R Nagant not the 7.62x39 which is a good medium range ctg., has the same ballistics, more or less as the 30-06. Also, at this time the Nagant ammunition is cheaper than the .223 around here. Some practiced rifleman with a bolt gun can cause a lot of damage while keeping some people at a reasonable distance. It will also penetrate more cover than the .223. The ball will not be deflected by small branches as with the .223.

I agree that there are better firearms out there than the ones I listed, but at what price. If you need one now, then you get what you can afford. But, there are other things which are almost as important which one may be eager to purchase, such as water purification equipment.

Edited by VIS 9

Wilkins,

Now if the choice is just between the M-4 and the SKS, then I would opt for the SKS with a removable 30 rd. magazine. That is if you want to save money. If money is not a factor in the choice then I would go with the M-4. But, remember this is SURVIVAL not WAR. Getting into a shooting scrape with some one is NOT what you want. Just think what could happen. You could be the one getting hit instead of it being the other way around. It is the ones who have never been in combat, are the ones who are eager for it. The ones who have been in a firefight, want to avoid it like the plague. You can loose most of your family unit in one 5min. firefight or most of your friends. There is always someone out there who is as good a shot out there or luckier than you just at that time. Not worth the effort. Break contact ASAP and move out.

VIS9,

Absolutely! two way lead exchanges are among the world's worst things. The problem is that you are extremely unlikely to come out of a firefight totally unscathed so which member of your family are you willing to lose? If you have to fight, you fight but you really want to plan so that you never have to fight.

If you are successful at that point, your weapons are for food and varmint control.

Even if you do successfully shoot your way out of a pocket, you've blown a ton of ammo you'll wish you had later.

Survival not war is exactly correct. What you want is a survival weapon that can double, in a pinch, to a defensive weapon, not the other way around. If you successfully GOOD to your BOL without running into any bad guys will you be happier with your assault carbine or with a solid food gathering arm? For the price of a solid AR clone, you can have a 3 gun battery plus a .22LR that will cover all your survival needs. Not optimized for combat of course, but it will handle most encounters, will do the survival job better and there is always a combat scenario where I lose. Up against a hundred MZB, unless I'm packing full auto, belt fed, preferably .50 BMG caliber I probably don't make it if they locate me. If I am packing a .50BMG (I love the M2) and its ammo, then unless I'm in a tracked vehicle or a 5 quarter ton truck, I'm not especially mobile so I'm not going anywhere in a hurry.

Shot gun.

Mine holds more than 6 rounds,I have 00,slug,00,slug,00..slug..just in case..

I do carry bird shoot also..

But just found a dealer who will do 90 days on a Rock Island 1911(officer model)3 1/2 inch.

Thank YOU Lord...just saying

I'd probably go with the semi-auto rifle. Shot guns are nice and extremely versatile for defense and hunting but lack the round capacity of semi-auto rifles. This obviously depends on the situation at hand and would be a "game time" decision. Best situation would be that my wife has the shotgun and I have the semi-auto rifle. Then I'd have the best of both worlds.

One gun for everything isn't practical, but if you had to choose you couldn't go wrong with a shot gun. Just make sure you train with it to understand it's limitations.

I like both but as many have mentioned it is all about area terrain etc.

lots of bullets in a alley or hallway I defer to the shotgun with #4 buckshot

on the street in city you need a mag fed rifle in suburbia back to a shotgun as space between

houses and alleys as long as your not the aggressor you can lure them into chasing you into a

funnel ambush and shred them.

there is no single answer well there is but it is an M4 with a short barrel shotgun with a good

briley long tube under

here is a photo series of a master key

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos07/may/1930kac.html

now this would be my choice LOL.

I agree with mike uher in his post.. of course at this point im just beating a dead horse but like Mike I was a Marine and i like rifles and are comfortable with them.. of course do like we all do and get both :).

and what is up with this kel-tec monstrosity.looks like a solution looking for a problem. personally if you want a high capacity pellet thrower look at the saiga 12s , I own one and personally i think it cannot be beat