Sign in to follow this  
awake

Backdoor option to CC in some 26 states.

Wow. I am certainly the last person to advocate any restrictions to gun ownership but this seems a little......cheesy. Sounds more like an opening for someone to make a mistake and give ammo to the anti 2A/ccw crowd.

If it were up to me (and it ain't of course) I'd make firearm training mandatory or at least a school curriculum. I seldom find anything in other countries that we should copy but I really like Sweden's idea that everyone gets military training and gun ownership is mandatory for able bodied citizens. Note: NOT what Sweden calls "Gun control".

Giving someone a two paragraph lecture and a multiple choice quiz does not make them ready to CC though.

Just my .02.

I hate to say it, but I know way too many CCW holders who managed to pass the test(s) - not only here in Tx, but from many states - but who do not have a clue as to what the law is as far as when it is appropriate to act or not, much less the particulars. They know where NOT to carry by the signs on the doors - if there is not a sign telling them not to carry, then they carry. I sincerely hope that no one is fooling themselves onto believing that the classes - in ANY state - prepare anyone for the true responsibilities of carrying a deadly weapon just because they took the test and passed.

awake,

a lot of states, Texas included, say if you live in their state, you can't use an out of state CHL. Things like VA and FL CHLs work for folks in states that don't have them or don't have reciprocal agreements. I know someone who has a WI CHL and a FL CHL. The FL is for when she travels, the WI is for at home. Once all the agreements get signed the FL won't be as necessary for her. I suspect that if YOUR state has a CHL law and you have a VA or FL law it would not cover you in your own state. IF your state does not have a CHL law, I am CERTAIN the FL or VA or any other CHL wouldn't cover you. You can't conceal carry in IL, no matter what you have.

Lousy rules but until Congress gets around to enforcing 'full faith and credit' on CHL's (I wouldn't hold your breath) those are the rules we have to live with.