Sign in to follow this  
Rapture333

First Time Gun Owner - Kel Tec Sub2k Advice

So I decided to make the plunge and ordered a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in .40 S&W. It was a bit over-priced, but that's supply and demand I guess. I was wondering what your advice was for aftermarket accessories? So far I was considering getting this swiveling for-end, thus I can still fold the gun: http://www.redlionprecision.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=R6

As well as this for-end grip: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MPIMAG411B

Considering a new optic if I get the swiveling for end. I don't have much cash to spare, but if you think anythings worth getting I'll gladly take a look. Plus any other advice would be appreciated.

Hey Rapture?

I will admit that I have NO clue at all about optics. But go to YouTube and search for Sootch00's channel.

He does reviews of guns and gear and I'm pretty sure he's done several optics reviews. Good stuff, very thorough and non biased. Well, he likes most stuff, but he has been using everything he does a review on.

Most of his vids are 10-15 minutes and he's very enjoyable to watch.

Congrats. The 2000 is alot of fun to shoot and will extend your effective .40 range to about 100+ yards. Mine uses Glock 22 magazines and since I also have the G22 it provides good compatability of caliber/ammo. The sub 2000 is very concealable, easy to operate and clean. I've had no failures. Have only added a sling and stock extender but would like to obtain a few more upgrades later. As you can see, however, the total for accessories can equal or exceed the value of the gun.

Thanks a lot! Im really looking forward to my purchase. And very true, the sub 2k is a Generally inexpensive gun which can be be paired with equally expensive addons and being a newbie im not sure if its neacessary to get a set of optics, a quad rail, etc. I feel the best investment is either a vertical grip or the magpul i linked too. Im assuming both would require a rail? Also does anyone reend a good flashlight for under $100? I feel like with a grip and a flashlight everything else is optional, but of course im open too suggestions

Edited by Rapture333

Rapture,

I'm a bit of a curmudgeon about such things but what good would an IR sight do you? Do you really anticipate that much night shooting? While I can see a flashlight/laser sight attachment for a self defense weapon, I tend to not think of a carbine as an 'inside the home' defense weapon. I'd hang a flashlight on a handgun or a shotgun before I would a carbine/rifle. The sniper scope technology is cool stuff but do you really envision low light combat?

If you are planning on it filling a night CQB role inside the house, then a flashlight is important. Just remember it does not take the place of a detached flashlight! You never, ever want to use that flashlight as a straight flashlight because anything you illuminate with it you have also made a target. A flashlight on a gun is your ability for a last check before firing that you aren't shooting at a family member. Remember the mantra, never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy! That light lets me check, just as I start to squeeze the trigger, one last time and abort the shot if needed.

If your all set and have the money to spare, by all means buy everything you want. My tastes tend to run toward slings, bi-pods, and reflex sights. Define the mission for your weapon first. Home defense vs bug out carbine vs small game/varmint control vs ? I LIKE pistol caliber carbines. They are great weapons out to a few hundred yards. Mine are .45 Colt and I like them. I do not consider them inside the home defense; that is shotgun country.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Why is that? Why don't they use 45?
I googled "kel tec sub 2000 accessories" and got several good results.

.40 cal is good popular ammo, and is i believe the primary military handgun load. Also by many LEO.

While the .45 ACP is rimless and both Hi-Point and H&K make carbines for it, .40 is popular for several reasons. First, the .45 ACP is OLD and is a WAR weapon and KILLS people! OK, I know that is a tad over the top but the Thompson .45 was a bad guys weapon in the '30's.

The military went to the 9mm because that was Europe's caliber of choice. The police went there after the revolver was replaced by the pistol. When the FBI and Secret Service found out the 9mm was not getting the job done, they looked for something bigger and tried the 10 mm. The FBI judged that it was a tad to aggressive in the recoil for accurate shooting so they downsized to the .40 (10mm short, if you will). Hence the .40 caliber. It appears the military has finally learned and are once again buying .45 ACP. I've fired .40's with recoil more than my .45 and with less. It depends on platform and load. If we had not, in a fit of political correctness, moved away from that evil .45 to the nice, European 9mm we might never have had the .40. As it is, a different caliber that seems somehow created outside of the normal succession of things.

The .40 is a decent round and appears to be quite capable of getting the job done. With proper bullet selection (remember the military is limited by law to FMJ) it is as effective, maybe more so, than the .45 ACP the military uses. I find it interesting that our civilian police use a round that violates the Geneva convention but that is another topic.

That is my quick and dirty (and mostly accurate) history of how we got here. Kel Tec builds carbines that take Glock magazines in 9 and .40. Others do as well. That is a great combination for a pistol/carbine; one magazine for either weapon.

I'm planning on using my SUB 2k mainly for Bugging Out purposes. The problem with the SUB2k is I still want to keep the rifles ability to fold which would be compromised if I had any attachment on the top rail, unless I opt for the very expensive redlion rotating forend. At this point I'm just wondering if its necessary, I want to be well equipped enough for Bugging Out and perimeter/home defense if TSHTF. I'm not sure what would be an overkill on my limited budget. So far I've decided that a vertical grip: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ARR-582

Considering this bipod: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BIPOD-204

And not sure which of these rails to get:http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/sub-2000-aluminum-forend-w-picatinny-rail/

http://www.redlionprecision.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=R6

http://www.aztac.net/Products.html

Rapture333,

You might consider something like

http://www.majorpandemic.com/2010/12/keltec-sub2000-in-handguard-mounted.html

That laser doesn't effect the way the weapon operates and at under 50 yards could be a help in a CQB situation. Probably not needed for bugging out but could be useful in home defense. Even in a bug out, that red dot on someones chest is intimidating. For quick snap shots they are great.

Thanks for the link capt! I think I'm gonna go with one of the piccatinny rails I linked too, a green laser, bipod and vertical grip. Does this seem like a good setup for bugging out of the city during civil unrest? What about a few months in if a situation were to happen?

Thanks for the link capt! I think I'm gonna go with one of the piccatinny rails I linked too, a green laser, bipod and vertical grip. Does this seem like a good setup for bugging out of the city during civil unrest? What about a few months in if a situation were to happen?

Sounds like a good setup for bugging out; quick target acquisition, no excessive weight and a stable platform. If you're at a bug out location, the question becomes what threat are you facing? In large predator country it may well be insufficient; I favor big calibers for bear and large predators. That is handguns of at least .40 cal (and I prefer .44 mag and larger) and rifles of .30 cal or larger.

That is what I think of as adequate for America's large predators. If you're not looking at big bear/hog then the smaller calibers work well.

Just my not so humble opinion.