Sign in to follow this  
awake

The Three Sisters.

What happens after shtf and your supplies start to run low? You can only store so much food and if the time line is long enough that supply will run out.

Pre-Colombian Native American Indians needed nothing other than what Mother Nature provided to ensure their own survival. They had a very efficient system of growing food that worked very well for both humans and nature. It was a method call the three sisters. Corn,squash and beans can give you a diet that you can live on for as long as the crops keep coming in.

Wikipedia has a great description of the method....

"In one technique known as companion planting, the three crops are planted close together. Flat-topped mounds of soil are built for each cluster of crops.[1] Each mound is about 30 cm (12 in) high and 50 cm (20 in) wide, and several maize seeds are planted close together in the center of each mound. In parts of the Atlantic Northeast, rotten fish or eels are buried in the mound with the maize seeds, to act as additional fertilizer where the soil is poor.[2][3] When the maize is 15 cm (6 inches) tall, beans and squash are planted around the maize, alternating between the two kinds of seeds.

The three crops benefit from each other. The maize provides a structure for the beans to climb, eliminating the need for poles. The beans provide the nitrogen to the soil that the other plants utilize, and the squash spreads along the ground, blocking the sunlight, helping prevent establishment of weeds. The squash leaves also act as a "living mulch", creating a micro-climate to retain moisture in the soil, and the prickly hairs of the vine deter pests. Maize lacks the amino acids lysine and tryptophan, which the human body needs to make proteins and niacin, but beans contain both and therefore maize and beans together provide a balanced diet."

Pre-Colombian Native American Indians have thrived on this method for over 5000 years.

THree Sisters... that sounds like really early "crop rotation".

Dont forget however they live in a very temperate climate. None of the US truely has a similar climate.

Because we have winter, we must actually store food.

But more to the point... what do you do when your stuff/preps/supplies run out?

Im sure SNake ad the Capt would have something to add to this thread.

Its been said here many times that knowledge and skill and being resourceful in your ways, is the only thing anyone can depend on.

Recently I have taken a look at my own preps asking "what do i have that will not eventually be 'used up' or eaten or perish"? WHat items do I have that can last indefinately?

Guns run out of ammo. Canned food does have an expiration date

Canning from home can last longer than store cans. Clothes wear out.

Knives, Hand tools(hammer, screwDrivers, plyers), ferro rod, rope/paracord

I advise everyone to learn how to make fire and practice doing so WITHOUT a aid of any kind. Gotta go primative. Educate yourself about 'PermaCulture' farming. Learn to fish and what to use where and when.

THis is one of my goals for camping this weekend.

What kind of beans?

pole beans. we call then snap beans in the south.

THree Sisters... that sounds like really early "crop rotation".

Dont forget however they live in a very temperate climate. None of the US truely has a similar climate.

Because we have winter, we must actually store food.

But more to the point... what do you do when your stuff/preps/supplies run out?

Im sure SNake ad the Capt would have something to add to this thread.

Its been said here many times that knowledge and skill and being resourceful in your ways, is the only thing anyone can depend on.

Recently I have taken a look at my own preps asking "what do i have that will not eventually be 'used up' or eaten or perish"? WHat items do I have that can last indefinately?

Guns run out of ammo. Canned food does have an expiration date

Canning from home can last longer than store cans. Clothes wear out.

Knives, Hand tools(hammer, screwDrivers, plyers), ferro rod, rope/paracord

I advise everyone to learn how to make fire and practice doing so WITHOUT a aid of any kind. Gotta go primative. Educate yourself about 'PermaCulture' farming. Learn to fish and what to use where and when.

THis is one of my goals for camping this weekend.

The Cherokee used the three sisters method as far up as Kentucky and west Virginia. You just have a smaller growing season. During the winters they provided food with hunting and fishing. These methods allowed the game animals and soil to mend and not be totally depleted. The Cherokee were not nomadic so they were forced to come up with solutions that were environmentally sound.

Yes all your stored foods and even your gadgets will break or come to an end. In a long enough event we will all be in the stone age. Your bare hands, wits and stone tools will be all you have to live by. I just hate the thought of how i look in a buck skin loin cloth. ROTFLMAO.

Good thread Awake. The Natives survived relatively decently with subsistence farming and/or hunting and gathering (some Nations better than others). I do like some of our modern conveniences like the internet (I met some GREAT People on here), but I think we would not have the mess we're in if we lived a simpler life.

We all have read about archaeologies finding old cities,burial grounds,with clay jars fill with grains seal in wax

wheat,corn still active,they actually have made beer,bread with those grains.As a child we kept our corn,beans,

seeds in wax seal clay pots,in our food storage shed,away from the sun,the trick was to dry the grain in the sun

then small cloth bags with very dry orange peal,chilli peppers,place in the pots,to keep away the bugs.In our modern world,dry the grain in the oven, vacumm bags with oxigen absorbers,away from heat/humidity,you will be readytogo.B)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recent Topics

• HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES. Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life .... *Riches  *Power *Famous *Wealth  With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
      If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via WhatsApp:  +1 315 203 9948 or our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com} Visits our Websites for more info: https://illuminatiofficial666world.wordpress.com

• HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES. Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life .... *Riches  *Power *Famous *Wealth  With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
      If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via WhatsApp:  +1 315 203 9948 or our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com} Visits our Websites for more info: https://illuminatiofficial666world.wordpress.com

• INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,,  I GOT SOMETHING NEW
      Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months! See how it works
      Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
      Make up you mind before applying, straight deal... Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
      via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

We have specially programmed ATM cards that  can be use to hack ATM
      machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
      stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
      buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
      and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
      you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
      services, we are here for you anytime any day. Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS: Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
      Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
      Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!! The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
      email address:: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com} Visit our Website for more Info: https://automatictellers.webs.com
      ®
      Make up you mind before applying, straight deal... Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us

services, we are here for you anytime any day. Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS: Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!! The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
      email address:: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com} Visit our Website for more Info: https://automatictellers.webs.com
      ®

®