Sign in to follow this  
Mudbass7

Is PETA really that retarded?

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/rihanna-snakeskin-boots-style-strangling-runway-chic-182844600.html

Ok so i think we can all agree that nobody cares about Rihanna, or how she dresses, whoop-dee-frikin-doo... BUT toward the end of this pointless waste of time article theres a quote

" [Rihanna] may not have a clue that snakes killed for boots are often nailed to a tree and skinned alive. Of course, they can't go on Oprah to cry about it."

Now, my skinning experiences aren't crazy; I've skinned a frog, squirrel, rabbit, cleaned chicken dove and turkey and i can't imagine trying to do ANY of those things while they were alive (not only is it cruel, but, seriously, a sharp knife + a freaked out animal = not so good for your hands.) I have a hard time just starting an IV on a freaked out/moving patient. try holding a SNAKE down to skin it.

somehow i dont think it works like that. nor can i find anything on the internet about this subject other than from PETA propaganda sites, but i can't think of any benefit to skinning anything alive. seems like it would ruin the hide.

But like i said, limited experience here. maybe some of you can enlighten me...:confused:

Yes, Mudbass, PETA can be that...well, silly seems more appropriate. They do not concern themselves with the ethical treatment of people, and every time I saw my father skin a snake when I was a kid, the snake was already dead. Never did it myself, though. PETA folks are all about the blinders they wear, but on the other hand, I don't see teh cultural significance of dog fighting, so I side with them on that issue.

Really, we all say how much we despise the ACLU and other groups (Sierra Club, PETA, etc.) but sometimes they accidentally find themselves on the right side on an issue.

Sorry, I don't mean to defend PETA, not with their stance towards two legged animals, but I just wanted to make the point that sometimes interests overlapping make for strange bedfellows. Really, if someone with just a little bit of common sense was in charge at PETA, think of all the good they might actually do. I am trying to recall the details, but I think someone there tried to discourage parents from buying "theme" pets for their kids like Dalmatians for Christmas, chicks for Easter, and those little Vietnamese pot bellied pigs all year round because the pets grow up and aren't cute or manageable anymore. Those little pigs get pretty big as adults, but not a total loss because the spare ribs aren't bad!

I couldnt read that entire article. It was too stupid.

Skinning animals alive? WHy ?

If your skinning something you obviously want to be able to use the skin for whatever and its worth ALOT more in one piece... without holes. THis would require the animal to be dead first.

How do they think people made leather cloths and accessories for the past several millenia ?

I guess they think eveyone should wear nylon and polyester clothing and boots. THat would mean they support the Kings of Oil and dont mind paying $4+ per gallon. F* hypocrits

The problem for groups like PETA (I even joined Sierra Club for a year because I was interested in preserving the tall and uncut. They broke me of my misconceptions about THEM in a hurry!) is that in an attempt to paint those not as 'sensitive' as they are into monsters they seem to have never made up (ie. LIED) a story that was too ridiculous to defend.

If they took a factual stance on many issues, they'd have support from reasonable people (dog fighting a good example). Trouble is, they buy into the 'no lie too big to tell' mantra used by folks like Nazi and Communist propagandist. Unfortunately, our own folks are going that way as well. The 'other side' can not have any value, morals, or truth. Hence they make themselves into clowns and fools (apologies to all professional clowns and fools everywhere).

Is it telling that they are more worked up over fancied wrongs (skinning live animals) than over real "wrongs" (OK, I don't care but at least you could make the case) like boiling lobsters live. I guess it depends on what you like to eat.

OH, I thought PETA stood for "People Eating Tasty Animals".

Just my not so humble opinion.

hi all

good point capt b..lobsters,crabs,ect.turtles are alive when you cut there head off.now you may think they would die now,nooot.there head keeps tring to bite,heart still pumping,list goes on.but after cooking,there are 9 different types of meat,yum...

Capt, the thing I find most ironic is that when all the yuppie do-gooders show up for their meetings; how many Gucci leather handbags are present. On the other side of the aisle, the ones who can't afford the Gucci and dress in all black are wearing military "combat" boots ( which even with the jungle styles or our current hot weather desert boots still use leather as a major component). They seen how well power hungry persons can manipulate the general public into funding their cause by finding an "innocent" cause (the liberals and anti-gunners use the children; peta and other eco-terrorists use animals).

hi all

good point capt b..lobsters,crabs,ect.turtles are alive when you cut there head off.now you may think they would die now,nooot.there head keeps tring to bite,heart still pumping,list goes on.but after cooking,there are 9 different types of meat,yum...

When I learned that the competent cooks lower the temperature of the animal to the point that they become inactive prior to cooking I became comfortable with the method of cooking. The animal is dead before its nervous system can transmit pain to the brain. Although I'm not interested in causing needless pain, Mother Nature (or Gaia or whoever) doesn't seem to share my sensibilities! Ever see video of predators eating their still living prey? Not pretty but it is the way life happens in the REAL world that our warm, fuzzy, feel good Gaia advocates would have us working toward. Without technology I am NOT the top of the food change and I do NOT want to deal with a wolf pack; thank you very much!

The major flaw with their mentality is a fundamental lack of discretion. They refuse to accept their species as having any right to exist; to them we are not part of nature and should be removed from the 'real' natural world. That conceit that we are somehow, undeservingly removed from and above natural law is a fatal error in judgement when technology fails us.

Just my not so humble opinion.

PETA really just says stuff and takes their ridiculous stances and actions to get attention. Honestly... They preach about keeping animals safe, and the humane approach. If they were so humane, then why do they have an upwards of 90% euthanizing rate for dogs? (that is according to some research. Never done my own fact digging on the issue)