Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

Bartering

O C..

"I'm thinking that as much as people want to hoard TP now, you could also get a LOT of traction on basic feminine hygiene products when there's no Wal-Mart to shop at."

Yep..

I also have "Pull UPs"..the large diapers that can be used for many things...

Oregonchick, the yard is somewhat lush in the back already, as the lady who lives there now loves to have plants everywhere. There's no reason that some of the plants can't be replaced by producers of one kind or another.

I'm hoping the house is still on the market when I'm ready to make the move, probably shortly after the first of the year. Meanwhile, I'm pricing appliances, wood stoves, chickens and all they need, and accumulating possible bartering items - just to steer things back on track.

Although I think better barter items have already been listed here, don't forget things like clothing, socks, underwear, bras... Even simple, high-quality fabrics will be useful, especially if you have things like thread, needles, and "notions" (buttons, zippers, etc.). Immediately after SHTF, a lot of people will only have a few changes of clothes (if any) and they are likely going to be in rough condition and in need of replacement. Kids will grow post-SHTF and need new clothing, old clothing will need to be repaired/replaced. And can you imagine how tough it will be to make new bras/underwear if elastic is in short supply? Simple sports bras could be a goldmine. Along those lines, non-electric sewing machines and parts will also be quite valuable.

always thinking outside the box. :D

Although I think better barter items have already been listed here, don't forget things like clothing, socks, underwear, bras... Even simple, high-quality fabrics will be useful, especially if you have things like thread, needles, and "notions" (buttons, zippers, etc.). Immediately after SHTF, a lot of people will only have a few changes of clothes (if any) and they are likely going to be in rough condition and in need of replacement. Kids will grow post-SHTF and need new clothing, old clothing will need to be repaired/replaced. And can you imagine how tough it will be to make new bras/underwear if elastic is in short supply? Simple sports bras could be a goldmine. Along those lines, non-electric sewing machines and parts will also be quite valuable.

Books of two kinds:

• Your own library of things you enjoy reading AND things that you'll use to help you learn/remember the skills you need to live - which can be loaned out on occasion; and
  • Books that have practical info you DON'T need to be reminded of (because you have other books/have mastered the skill) and those that are simply fun to read - which can be traded to entertainment-starved people

Mechanical sewing machines are really common where I grew up. I think that hand tools are going to be a huge asset when SHTF, ones like are all over the farm belt in old granaries from our grandfathers and great grandfathers, do you know where to get a single bottom one man plow? One man corn drill? Drawknife, hand auger, post hole jobbers, 1 man or 2 man draw saw, rail splitting wedges. Home is where your heart is and in my case where I can find all the greatest of 1900 American farm life, hot bath canners, bail top mason jars, 10 gallon pickle jars. Skill I think will be the greatest barter item in that thus who have it can form strong communities and will be able to use SOME who are willing to use the strength of their backs and show the strength of their character.

Spousal unit has a loom in the garage that she hasn't touched since college...wonder what that would be worth. I still have the scarf she made me on that loom.

Have a Troy built tiller in a shed that I'm going to overhaul once the weather gets cooler. I have the single furrow plow for it. If worse gets to worse I can make a horse drawn plow using that furrow.

Just things to keep in mind.

Edited by vonBayern

always thinking outside the box. :D

LOL That's because the most practical stuff (which might be considered "inside the box") is usually better able to be addressed by some of the other members on this site. I'm already a liberal, so coming out of left field is just my thing, I think.

I mentioned sports bras in particular because they will work better for women over a range of sizes/shapes than more traditional bras, so they will be able to be traded with a wider range of potential barterers.

DonDon, the hand tools thing is a GREAT point. I have a few tools that I inherited from my grandfather, who was a finish carpenter, but I should add to the collection. The two-man saw in particular could be a real lifesaver when gas (and therefore gas-powered chainsaws) don't work any longer. It's not like we won't need wood for fuel and construction! Might be worth hitting some estate sales to look for some quality tools.

V B ...

"Spousal unit has a loom in the garage that she hasn't touched since college...wonder what that would be worth. I still have the scarf she made me on that loom.

Ok so PM me or post a photo of the loom.PLEASE!!!

I have been studying looms for a couple of years...and would be willing to Talk about a trade!!!!

Thanks

lots of good stuff mentioned.

When ever I pick up a 12pgk of wobbley pops, I also pick some some nips. All kinds. I dont do hard stuff so theres no chance of me sucking them down my self.

Edited by Urban Wolf
spelling

AHHHH $70.00 for a tin can??

Ok it uses the same princable as a "rocket Stove"..

google it..

ok here it is..http://www.rocketstove.org/

The stove was invented for over seas help and cooking where there is only wood.

I have the desighn printed for the "OVEN" just in case.. and a couple of others too..

sorry dont mean to be a SMAST @ss...But us short haired Hippys do keep up ...

One of the beneficial things about a rocket stove or a wood burning stove is that you take the ashes and put them inside the garden to add essential minerals to the soil. Most of today's soil in the USA is mineral deficient. Many moons ago our great-great-grandparents use to do this. Some people might think this is extremely but ask your grandparents about this. You can also burn bones and make bone meal that you add to the garden and even soups for nutrition as well. Take it from a Certified Master Herbalist. These two tips will go a long way for optimum health especially in a survivalist situation.

I figure a person who had a lot of antibiotics would be king as all the VD going around all those will want some relief

also crabs and lice relief i think that will be rampant and bed bugs are on the comeback trail.

so good night sleep tight and don't get crabs lice or bed bugs or Chlamydia, gonorrhea, Hepatitis, herpes, Genital, Warts syphilis Vaginitis

{of course you cannot cure herpes}

so antibiotic are the future gold platinum & silver

Hone those tradable skills you have. WHatever it may be.

ANd yea... antibiotics

SOmething anyone can use as a 'tradeable' item, is a recharge for electrical gadgets. Many of us have those emergency radios with a solar panel on em... or make your own like me. 1 full charge could last about 3days. Its not that long, but consider the 'piece of mind' that having a fully charged cellphone will give a person, cut off from home, or simply homeless without a way to charge it themselves. (Yes.. many homeless people have cellphones, thx to Bush/Obama) Price of a full cellphone charge... im thinking 1liter drinking water, or something similarly useful.

Thanks D.M..

My neighbor keeps wondering why my ground out does his..LOL I put 7 years of wood ash on it..He just started this year.

Trade Item's....Cloth!Repair of clothing(ok so I put patches on my work jeans)...the people who cant thread a needle are just Funny.

Knowing the Local Veterinary..is going to be Important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks D.M..

My neighbor keeps wondering why my ground out does his..LOL I put 7 years of wood ash on it..He just started this year.

Trade Item's....Cloth!Repair of clothing(ok so I put patches on my work jeans)...the people who cant thread a needle are just Funny.

Knowing the Local Veterinary..is going to be Important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome 101matt. A lot of preppers do not know about wood ash. Plants can not and do not make minerals. Minerals have to either be in the soil or it has to be put just like fertilizer. We ofter read about the nutritional content of a certain veggie or fruit, however, there is no way of knowing whether that veggie or fruit was grown on planted in soil that contained the proper minerals in it. Wood ash is loaded with essential minerals. So one would be very wise to utilize this source of nutrition even outside of an emergency situation and be like Matt..the envy of your neighbor!

we barter right now. we have chickens and get our milk fresh from a farm down the road from us so we trade eggs for milk from them.. its a beautiful thing

Hey Wardog we do the same thing from both of our homesteads. We barter with eggs, vegetables and sheep and goat meat. Many of the locals love this as they save them from having to drive 15-20 mile into town. You are right my friend. get those valuable skills under control because even in when the defecation hasn't hit the oscillating rotator those skills come in handy.

Bartering can be a intimidating task to some, you can be easily taken advantage of if you are using your heart instead of your head to barter. You may listen to somebodies sob story and give them more than you originally intended to do. It would be best to hone your skills up now so it is second nature. You can practice bartering by checking out Craigslist, there is a barter section there where people will trade items or skills for something that they need. In these economic times I have seen more posts pop up on there. You can find some good deals there and its a good way to hone your bartering skills.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Hey Wardog we do the same thing from both of our homesteads. We barter with eggs, vegetables and sheep and goat meat. Many of the locals love this as they save them from having to drive 15-20 mile into town. You are right my friend. get those valuable skills under control because even in when the defecation hasn't hit the oscillating rotator those skills come in handy.

also builds up good relationships now that you wont have to curry whjen people are feeling "less" inclined to be trustful

Semper Fi

Bartering can be a intimidating task to some, you can be easily taken advantage of if you are using your heart instead of your head to barter. You may listen to somebodies sob story and give them more than you originally intended to do. It would be best to hone your skills up now so it is second nature. You can practice bartering by checking out Craigslist, there is a barter section there where people will trade items or skills for something that they need. In these economic times I have seen more posts pop up on there. You can find some good deals there and its a good way to hone your bartering skills.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Excellent points! Sound advice no doubt when the SHTF bartering will be stepped up a notched for sure!

Learn that there are some people are never satisfied or remorseful buyers traders if you run into that sort NEVER do business with them again

all you will ever get is badmouthed.

in days past and nothing has changed going to rendezvous to trade and or buy was dangerous you could be attacked on the trail robbed

at night while at the event or followed and set upon.

if a stranger comes up to your home you need to be cautious they may be attempting to draw you out to snipe you and travelers and Gipsy's

will come out of the wood work never but never deal with them period or their Ilk.

It will take a lot of time and proof of a return to normalcy before I consider trading or even meeting with others the words back shooter bushwhacked grifter highwayman and reach for the sky or stand and deliver, and many others these words came about to describe a problem.

The family dynamic now man woman and 2 kids if the man can be sniped the woman is at a great disadvantage am I being sexist {you BET}

only a few women could work as hard and none as long and only a couple could lift and haul as much. I know it is great cinema to make a movie where the strong woman climbs mount everest and builds a cabin and becomes a cattle rancher i the sky NOW how many want to try and how many will succeed ????

it is no better for a man to loose a wife either way a great percentage of your workforce is cut the reason why you see the men in the field

wrangling animals clearing land cutting hay and building was women were doing as important work cooking and training children

feeding animals cleaning spinning weaving blah blah they were all working their ass off even the children.

If you think the world is ready for a return to agronomy and working from daylight to dark your wrong there are so many young people who have never had to work I mean REAL work dig a 30 foot well build miles of fence and in a world where you have to split rails for fencing they cannot handle it.

I have axes and wedges sledge hammers and log jacks I know how to use them I can change a tire manually I have watched children intently

over the last couple of years and I am not impressed.

They look like a monkey screwing a football at any work related physical endeavor oh they can run and shoot hoops and may can bench press 400

but when it comes to problem solving on the ranch / farm, unless they were raised to it not a chance in hell.

MY point is there will be herds of incompetent nere do wells starving and using force and intimidation to make their way and if you have something they want they will kill you there is a thread about Africa it does not delve deeply enough into the adults using children to fight their wars and how they

convince use and control these children it is happening in Mexico and it will come here more so than it is now.

the old wounded duck and lady / child in distress trick will be used to a point of cliche if your not watching for it or understand the concepts

your at a disadvantage that will mean your death.

Stroke of Genius or Racial Profiling ?

Was thinking about was items i could stash away for the soul purpose of barter items. Cigarettes, lighters and Booze are obvious.

But something dawned on me.. considering where I live. 3 items, easily attainable, that may be very useful barter items. Also... we all agree 'survival' is one things and 'Living' is another.

So my 3 items im considering are Tabasco, BBQ sauce, ans Lawry's Seasoned Salt.... Oh #4 Veggy oil, for deep frying stuff.

Defending my position:

WHenever you start a business, you always must first consider your area/location and WHO you are going to be providing a service to... right ? Know your customer, know your audience. THats what im thinking.

Preparing for a barter marketplace is a very advanced side of preparations. I would think that it also means considering security in a different light.

I agree bartering the broader side of a post SHTF society would be a dangerous thing, a mob mentality could get you and you stores smashed, if you are planning to barter beyond your neighbors in a " closed hand, ya I have one or two of this or that to barter" situation visit a local check cashing store and model your setup after them bullet proof glass and concrete filled cinder block walls re- enforced with rebar, add murder slots and a gunner perch for good measure.

Was thinking about was items i could stash away for the soul purpose of barter items. Cigarettes, lighters and Booze are obvious.

But something dawned on me.. considering where I live. 3 items, easily attainable, that may be very useful barter items. Also... we all agree 'survival' is one things and 'Living' is another.

So my 3 items im considering are Tabasco, BBQ sauce, ans Lawry's Seasoned Salt.... Oh #4 Veggy oil, for deep frying stuff.

I see you're thinking outside the box, and that's a good thing. Look at what is needed in your local area and expound upon it. This too requires you to plan from a security or defending your bartering items as well. I personally would be doing it low key. I wouldn't be having people coming to where "my stash" is and even if I did I would have various places where "my stashes" are hidden as not to make it seem that I have a lot of it. It is common knowledge that people want what they can't/don't have, so beware and keep that in mind.

It's not racial profiling unless you add several cases of colt 45 ( the malt liquor not ammo)