Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

Bartering

Haven't found an article pertaining to Bartering and was thinking it could be an interesting article. Prepping is all well and good but after SHTF and we start entering the rebuilding process, bartering may well be how we get the things we need.

I saw the "100 things" list and found some of it to be useful but who has goats and chickens on hand? A minority I'm sure. Especially for those of us relegated (regrettably) to more urban settings.

Below I got a few things that could be traded for other essentials:

1. Cigarettes - People have their vices and despite the drawbacks many people are addicted. Me included. I can go without but there is an immensely satisfying feeling lighting up after a long sabbatical. Former smokers seem to agree with me that despite quitting (some for many, many years) they still feel the urge and temptation to have a smoke. In a bartering setting, Cigarettes are easy to store, last a long time (even if they're stale they're smokable) and can net you plenty of things that are actually useful.

2. Marihuana - I haven't smoked this stuff since college but there is no denying it's popularity. Not just for it's recreational uses but for it's (debatable) medicinal qualities. No idea how to grow it but neer-do-wells seem to do just fine at home and it's not like you have to add anything unlike cigarettes. One could grow small amounts in the confines of wherever they call their homes, harvest, replant, repeat.

3. Seeds - Not much to explain, people need to eat. They're cheap to buy at the store and can be easily stored and transported. I especially like the deer attractant they sell at the store I work at. You throw the stuff out and it (supposedly) grows with little to no interaction on your part and eventually you get a whole plot of varying greens. Not just edible, but they claim to be high in proteins and minerals. Also if you happen to find some game attracted to it you got a bonus. Plus after all the valuables have been looted, I'm willing to bet the stuff will be hanging around in the Hunting and Fishing department. Although seeds can be great for bartering, it's important to get ones suitable to your area. Otherwise you could be dealing with some angry torches and pitchforks.

4. Alcohol - Not the rubbing kind. A good hard liquor is just what the doctor ordered. Nuff said.

5. Ammunition - Definitely good for bartering but oh no, your down a handfull of shells and this hunk of beef you traded for will only feed your family for the night. Good thing you got acquainted with ammo reloading. Now you can not only keep your stockpiles in order, but barter your services. Granted there are some materials you might need (like the gun powder) but its still a great idea to know how to do it.

6. Nails - That zombie smashed a hole in my door! Now my goats and chickens are exposed! Better head down to so-and-so's, he's got some nails I can use! Better bring some milk and eggs while I'm at it... Seriously, remember when settlers would move and they'd burn down their homes to retrieve the nails? They're useful and in a collapsing world you might just be able to have some poached eggs with a glass of milk for dinner.

7. Feminine Hygiene Products - Not just good for clotting bullet wounds, women have needs too and men have those needs by extension. Imagine the gratification in her eyes when she feels fresh. A happy woman is a happy (or at the very least, relieved) man.

8. Fuel - Not the easiest thing to stockpile or carry around with you, but if you can manage to have enough to spare then good for you. Everything from gasoline, oil, propane and kerosene would be in high demand. Spare a gallon to help your neighbor, get some eggs and cook them too!

9. Cats - Yes cats. As in meow-meow, hiss-hiss, scratch-bite. All of you recognize that after a massive breakdown, rodents and insects could become a problem and spread famine and disease. You need to get yourself one of them fluffy kittens to hunt down the varmints! They're god's mousetraps! While they may not help you with insect control, at least the rats and mice will be held at bay from your food stores. No black plague for your children!

10. Dogs - Yup, dogs too. More plentiful in just about every location then goats and chickens, dogs have a breadth of uses. Companionship, home defense, hunting, the sky is the limit. Be careful of inbreeding though as places become isolated if your trying to get one. If your breeding inbreds then shame on you. In a rebuilding setting where stealth is not an issue, dogs can be a low-risk, high-reward asset to have.

11. Yourself! - I don't mean like what your thinking. Bartering yourself to provide valuable services will be highly welcomed. Strangers would be more inclined to help an engine mechanic as opposed to a former accountant. It's a simple and undying fact of the human spirit: help others and they will help you. That guy whose generator you just fixed might be an expert fisherman with a spare rod and reel and great spot to fish. As preppers and survivalists we see the value in planning ahead and learning new skill sets. So crack open a book and get ready to help the soon-to-be-desperate community!

Honorable Mention: Toilet Paper. You wouldn't believe the things we take for granted.

You guys have anything to add?

Edited by Breaker

Basic hand tools and knives. They are cheap tickets enough to double up on for trading. One reason I like buying knives..cheaper than guns and everybody needs one for their diverse uses. Fire starters like matches lighters fire steel..again cheap enough to have multiples and have an oblivious need. Soaps and hand sanitizers. Basic medical supplies. Shoes.

Say I need some clear plastic? (not really, I already have a 10'X100' roll of 6 mil.)

What'd you take for say 10'X25' piece?

How bout 1 gallon of Coleman for a 10'X25' piece?

Or I could give you 2 propane 1lb. cannisters?

No, you can't have a stove!

12 rolls of toliet paper! Absolutly Not! I'll give you 6 rolls and

one 1lb cannister of propane.

No! You can't have my German Shepard!

Just saying......

Edited by desert rat

11. Yourself! - I don't mean like what your thinking. Bartering yourself to provide valuable services will be highly welcomed. Strangers would be more inclined to help an engine mechanic as opposed to a former accountant. It's a simple and undying fact of the human spirit: help others and they will help you. That guy whose generator you just fixed might be an expert fisherman with a spare rod and reel and great spot to fish. As preppers and survivalists we see the value in planning ahead and learning new skill sets. So crack open a book and get ready to help the soon-to-be-desperate community! You guys have anything to add?

We got some local girls working on that now but I do not think it's in the vein your suggesting. just saying LOL

I think one of the more useful items would be one of those solar cells for recharging batteries as well as portal devices...IPhones, android phones, MP3 players, IPads, tablets...things along those lines.

Yes the phone system may be down...but you still have games on them, a camera <useful as you take things apart to help you remember how to put it back together>, music and PDF files.

I think one of the more useful items would be one of those solar cells for recharging batteries as well as portal devices...IPhones, android phones, MP3 players, IPads, tablets...things along those lines.

Yes the phone system may be down...but you still have games on them, a camera <useful as you take things apart to help you remember how to put it back together>, music and PDF files.

A recharging station - I'll RENT you time in the charger! Bring me your batteries and I'll charge them and we'll swap like the hardware stores do for propane tanks now.

Imodium! There will be diarrhea and the guy with the Imodium can name his price!

If you have a solar generator then you can run a freezer. That means ICE!

Honey (bees would be great!), anything sweet, salt, coffee and tea; these are all good. A solar oven means bread and cakes.

If you reload, you can barter for ammo BUT I don't like trading ammo. I think it will be too risky for quite a while after TSHTF. I am absolutely certain that folks will not take the 'long view' about things after TSHTF. If you think about it, killing the supplier of your goods is stupid but sheeple, by their nature, do not consider the consequences of their actions. IF they did, they would not be sheeple!

Just my not so humble opinion.

Bartering..Ok I have voiced my opinion many times on this.

you best get ready to Barter..

Fire wood.........winter is comeing.Fuel is gone....

Meds...........Aspirin....and Imodium....Complete Multivitamin....B vitamins...b 6 to help you sleep.Iodine..EPI Clenz hand cleaner(cleans and great for starting fire/my favorate)

WATER..and sutable Storage container.. Glass bottles...Small wagons to carry the stuff you trade....

Condums..........Bug spray.....

AND finally ........................Paper..................

when is the last time you tryed to make Paper?????

Although I think better barter items have already been listed here, don't forget things like clothing, socks, underwear, bras... Even simple, high-quality fabrics will be useful, especially if you have things like thread, needles, and "notions" (buttons, zippers, etc.). Immediately after SHTF, a lot of people will only have a few changes of clothes (if any) and they are likely going to be in rough condition and in need of replacement. Kids will grow post-SHTF and need new clothing, old clothing will need to be repaired/replaced. And can you imagine how tough it will be to make new bras/underwear if elastic is in short supply? Simple sports bras could be a goldmine. Along those lines, non-electric sewing machines and parts will also be quite valuable.

Books of two kinds:

• Your own library of things you enjoy reading AND things that you'll use to help you learn/remember the skills you need to live - which can be loaned out on occasion; and
  • Books that have practical info you DON'T need to be reminded of (because you have other books/have mastered the skill) and those that are simply fun to read - which can be traded to entertainment-starved people

Bartering..Ok I have voiced my opinion many times on this.

you best get ready to Barter..

Fire wood.........winter is comeing.Fuel is gone....

Meds...........Aspirin....and Imodium....Complete Multivitamin....B vitamins...b 6 to help you sleep.Iodine..EPI Clenz hand cleaner(cleans and great for starting fire/my favorate)

WATER..and sutable Storage container.. Glass bottles...Small wagons to carry the stuff you trade....

Condums..........Bug spray.....

AND finally ........................Paper..................

when is the last time you tryed to make Paper?????

A few weeks ago made a page of paper from denim using a curry comb or a wire brush take the edge

of a piece of denim and over the edge of a board brush the fabric apart making a dryer lint type

material in fact dryer lint can be used it is what I use / used and then take old paper or used paper and soak in bleach water and shred rinse well combine the 2 pulling like taffy stranding again and again until well mixed roll out and beat

until the desired thickness and size press and let dry now you have a rag paper has a bluish color from

denim you could bleach it but people like it the way it is.

OK BOYS AND GIRLS YOU BETTER CATCH UP OR YOUR GOING TO BE LEFT BEHIND! LOL

As far as insecticide here is a way to make some but it takes a lot of area to grow.

http://pyrethrum.com/FAQs.aspx

http://www.backyardnature.net/fl_mum.htm

http://www.ehow.com/way_5665049_homemade-pyrethrin-spray.html

some tobacco juice added to this helps to make it more effective on plants in the home use just the

achenes of the plant do not make up more than your going to use leave flowers dry until you need them.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/chrysanthemum-tea-recipe.html

I forgot about bees. Me and my wife like honey because not only is it delicious, but keeps forever. No bees of or own unfortunately.

i don't plan on having children with me when SHTF. im sure kids clothes will be valueable to some but its nothing I'd plan to stock pile

Edited by Breaker

Bees are a great idea. Honey is good, especially when you may not have a ready supply of sugar. It's also useful in all sorts of herbal remedies and treatments, everything from soothing sore throats to treating wounds (it has antibiotic properties) and moisturizing dry skin. If the idea of dealing with so many bees didn't kind of freak me out, I'd think an apiary would be nearly as useful as a chicken coop post-SHTF.

If you're interested in trying your hand at it, there's a great company that not only sells honey but actually sells everything you'd need to "make" your own, and gives a ton of free advice to people trying beekeeping for the first time. So this might be a good place to start:

http://beekeeping.glorybee.com/content/beekeeping-101

I'm looking at a little, old house in a small farming town and that house has a small coop already built in the back yard. I hadn't thought seriously about keeping chickens, but it might not be a bad idea. Thanks for the reminder, oregonchick.

Nana Quilts..

Yes Please get the old home stead...get a place asap..and yes Chickens..I encourage everyone to get a good plot of ground asap.We may not get another chance..

OC convinceing my wife that I should purchase different sizes of bra's could end up with me practicing some first aid...

ON MYSELF

Just saying.......................................lol

101matt, it isn't much of a homestead - very old house in less than great condition, but livable), and a small yard. However, being in a very small town is a plus. No fireplaces is a minus. Chicken coop is a huge plus, as is the fact that the backyard already half garden. Under a quarter acre, so you know the garden isn't very big, but for one person, it just might work.

Yeah, you talk your wife into believing that you need a variety of bras. : )

Nana..

Any land can produce food..GO FOR IT..

If you Do get the land.Rember that fruit trees(apple) is the most valable..and you can spend only $80.00 on a 7 year old tree that bears fruit the first year..

WATER ? does it have a well? how deep??...an older home can always be made to fit the need/smaller is better because of less maintance,a metal chimney can be added for the stove..

sorry ..Im dreaming again....

I asked my CFO/she said that I could but ......................i could not help "TRADE" them ...

lmao....

NanaQuilts, the place you're talking about sounds like it has a lot of potential!

For heating efficiency, it might be better to NOT have a fireplace and to install a new wood stove. You can also get ones that allow you to cook on them or that have a water reservoir so you can have a hot bath even if electricity is no longer available.

You can get a TON of produce out of a very small plot, and a quarter acre gives you quite a bit of room to plant. You might want to look into what's called "vertical gardening," where you train vine plants along fencing or latticework (beans, tomatoes, etc.) so that your valuable ground space can be taken up by root veggies and so on. For plants that only need shallow dirt for their roots, you can actually use sections of old roof gutters, capped on either end, and then mount them along a fence, porch railing, or even a wall on a shed or your house. Even better: some garden pests don't really climb, so you may lose less produce than you would with a conventional set-up.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/vertical-gardening-zm0z10zhun.aspx

http://clark.wsu.edu/volunteer/mg/gm_tips/VerticalGardening.html

http://www.instructables.com/id/Vertical-Garden-1/

Agree that water (in the form of a well with a possible non-electric pump or a pump that is solar-powered) would be a priority. Or just extensive rainwater collection devices, I suppose.

This house is on city water and I don't know what the options are for digging a well. Guess it's time to find out.

Oregonchick, you're a wealth of suggestions and information. I've thought of a stove, and it's a possibility. My grandmother had one that had a water "tank," as she called it. And the gardening options just stagger me, as where I am now, there's no real soil. I've missed having a garden and was heavily into the square foot gardening at one time. You learn to do quite a lot in not much space.

The house isn't mine, but I'll be looking for someone to do an inspection on it next week.

Sorry! I think I hijacked this thread.

Paracord might prove to be a good barter item. It has so many different uses that its flexibility of purpose should make it highly desired. Look at the great stuff Tinder makes. He does great work using paracord. I have a lot on hand at home and in all my vehicles. It takes up very little room and is very useful.

And the gardening options just stagger me, as where I am now, there's no real soil. I've missed having a garden and was heavily into the square foot gardening at one time. You learn to do quite a lot in not much space.

It's really remarkable what you can come up with when you aim for productivity vs. simple visual appeal when you're designing a garden. I wonder if vertical gardening would also help with opsec, because you could have a lot of producing plants tucked around a "normal" yard. It would seem kind of lush because there would be dense areas of vegetation in places, but don't a lot of yards have trellises or arbors anyway? If you had concerns about people thinking you were gardening for prepping instead of your own pleasure, it might be a way to hide it.

excoastie, I agree that paracord would be a useful barter item. People are familiar with it, it can be used for tons of things, and it would be fairly easy to store and lightweight for carrying if driving a vehicle/riding a horse to a market wasn't feasible.

101matt, good point. You may want to ask her help in picking "women's items" that would be useful for barter. I'm thinking that as much as people want to hoard TP now, you could also get a LOT of traction on basic feminine hygiene products when there's no Wal-Mart to shop at.

AHHHH $70.00 for a tin can??

Ok it uses the same princable as a "rocket Stove"..

google it..

ok here it is..http://www.rocketstove.org/

The stove was invented for over seas help and cooking where there is only wood..

I have the desighn printed for the "OVEN" just in case.. and a couple of others too..

sorry dont mean to be a SMAST @ss...But us short haired Hippys do keep up ...

Edited by 101matt

AHHHH $70.00 for a tin can??

Ok it uses the same princable as a "rocket Stove"..

I

google it..

ok here it is..http://www.rocketstove.org/

The stove was invented for over seas help and cooking where there is only wood..

I have the desighn printed for the "OVEN" just in case.. and a couple of others too..

sorry dont mean to be a SMAST @ss...But us short haired Hippys do keep up ...

No your right it is just a tin can guess I got a little caught up in it. Just liked the idea I gues