Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

Snares

Just curious what people packed for pre-made snares, or if you just pack wire. I carry all 3 in my big kit to put in the vehicle when I leave but have some pre-made snares in all my smaller kits also.

My little Altoids tin pocket kits have 6 fish hooks, 25ft of 40lb mono line, 15ft of 142lb braided nylon line, and 8 snares made out of 18" long 45lb test wire fishing leaders.

My truck kits and BOB have picture wire, plus a dozen leader snares and a dozen various size commercial cable snares. 6 of the big snares are heavy enough for deer.

My main worry about the snares is that they are pretty much a 1 catch tool especially the commercial ones on bigger game. They can be rebuilt, but that requires packing quite a bit of extra cable and some heavier tools. I pack that stuff in my truck's BOB (bug out box) but wouldn't want it all on my back. What's everyone else's take on trapping?

Catfish, I carry 6 premade snares that can and will handle larger game, along with some braided fishing line and monoline for small game. I have a spool of 40# test mono that I have used for years to make snares and other traps in the woods. I also carry a spool of 10 or 12# line when I go out (I use these the most so they get exchanged often). I also carry 3 110 body grips and 6 rat traps. I use a "SAW ammo" pouch to carry these in and then a couple in my ruck. I also carry a net (IMPs Net) for fishing and trapping birds, along with other uses.

Garage door cable works for larger snares and we've put spools up at our BOL locations for this purpose. For most folks, the garage door cable is cheaper thru a home improvement or hardware store than buying "snare" cable thru trapping supply houses. I've also put up fencing rolls (the fence with the 2x3or4 inch rectangles to build box/cage traps. They are used alot for muskrats but can be used as catch lives in a pinch. I use the plastic cable ties to fasten them together and they last for years, but are easily taken apart and put back together if need be. Mine for muskrats are normally 4 ft long but you could cut them down and attach the panels to the pack frame between the frame and pack for transporting them in the field.

I think trapping is a great skill set for survival (plus a good relaxing hobby for me). It allows you to "forage" for food while getting other chores done and saves energy that could be crucial in the outcome of your situation. Also, you can forage without your presence known if you take care in the trap placement/concealment and your movements to check them if you are in hostile territory.

I have a large supply of home made snares, but at Goodwill the other day i found a 500ft spool of 50lb mf fishing line for $2. I couldn't resist. I'm thinking shtf squirrel stew.

Reg5., what size animal do you think would be the limit of 1/8 in wire rope? Iv'e snared coons with it fine, but wonder about say a 80lb hog?

Nobody, it may hold but I would want the added benefit of a neck hold and a spring trigger sapling to add pressure. I know someone who (accidently) has caught several deer in the 3/16 snares coyote sets and held them, but an 80# hog is 1 mean critter when cornered. The breaking point on 1/8 cable is 2100#s, but not sure what the force a hog can apply (I looked it up). I have been looking at the 1/4" cable for big game snares but I am unsure of the pliability of it. Gives me an excuse for testing....lol.

Edited by Regulator5

I made a mistake on the cable sizes, sorry. I normally use the 5/64 cable and 1/8 inch will definitely hold hogs. I guess I needed a longer nap...lol.

I have too many fractions running thru my head right now with the new job and trying to keep mm conversions to fractions straight has taken up more of my brain pan than I realized. I went down to the basement to check my small supply here to remember what sizes I have. I am still wanting to test 1/4" for large game, but that would be very large game.

Iv'e used 3/16 for hogs before, never lost one, the biggest being about 150lbs....the BIG boys don't fall for snares, or mine anyway.

You ever use nylon ribbon? 1500 lb pull and doesn't smell like metal.

I've never used ribbon. I mostly snare coyotes in farm country. I have my best luck using holes in fences, so the metal smell is a non-issue. I've used fish line for birds and small game, and have caught a few coon in coyote sets.

I dye my snares just like a foothold or body grip trap.

Dont know if this has already been brought up but I thought I would start a thread on snares, their uses, and materials to make them and any and everything else to do with snares and traps. I do not have a back ground using these but i'm sure some, like Regulator5, will have plenty to say to fill in. One thing I came across that I thought would be a good snare and it is cheap would be one of those fishing lines you put your fish on after you catch them, sorry I can't think what they are called. I just picked up a couple for less than a dollar and they are already set up to use as a snare with a ring on one end for you to thread through to make the loop. Thoughts on this? strong enough for small game? Also, I feel stupid asking this but I was wanting to make my own snares out of steel cable but for the life of me I can't think of the pieces or tools you need to clamp down on the cable so that the two pieces are held together....help????

Snare building instructional DVD and kit

Here is a kit that has all the instructions and the supplies to build 1 dozen snares. This will make it easier to teach newcomers to the prepping and gives you enough to minimally equip 4 BOBs (IMO).

http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/pr....asp?prod=ssp2

My post on the snare building kit available.

Tinder, I will post several links at the bottom of this post for suppliers and even tho I'd purchase some ready made parts, snares are reatively easy to even make the hardware for.

The fishing stringers will work, but they aren't the best used improvised material. The ring on them will not maintain pressure once the animal stops resisting and some will stop resisting once they feel pressure. For improvised snares, I prefer fishing line, especially for survival. Fishing line makes a poor choice to snare furbearers because it will cut into the hide and thus reduce the value. Survival snaring, I am most concerned with the meat, and the hide from small game while it can be used, is often used for smaller clothing pieces or pouches so imperfections aren't a major concern. I like 8-10# for birds and have possibly *cough* even witnessed squirrels and rabbits taken with them. If I am targeting small mammals with fishing line, I actually prefer the spool of 40# line I carry or the nylon ice line that is 60#. The little rodents (squirrels and rabbits) will chew the line if they aren't incapacitated instantly, so I also prefer using a "springboard" snare to ensure instant incapacitation.

Steel or aluminum aircraft cable is used for most commercially produced fur bearer snares. There are 2 main sizes, 5/64 and 3/32, but you can also get 1/8, 1/4, and 1/16 cable. I use 5/64 probably the most, but am ordering the 1/16 cable for smaller game and lighter weight to carry more snares in my pack. I also want the 1/8 for bigger game in a true survival situation but I won't need as many of those in my normal trapping and the other sizes can hold medium sized game easily. If I lived in bear country, I'd probably want to have a couple 1/4" cable snares for use but I don't and I don't know anywhere that snaring bear is legal, so it's strictly a survival tool for BIG game.

For snaring birds, quail and pigeons are normally easy prey. I place kernals of dried field corn in a line going thru the snare. As the bird swallows the kernals, the kernal will "hang" up in their throat and offer a better hold on the snare line (birds swallow their food whole).

I'll post some links for supplies, but these are trapper supply houses and cable is the same as garage door cable, so you may find better deals at home improvement stores. Shop around. I have used the above link from NW Trappers and Hoosier Trapper Supply the most and have never had a bad experience personally. I like Hoosier because they are a local company (sort of) for me.

https://www.hoosiertrappersupply.com/TrapsTrappingSupplies/tabid/70/Default.aspx

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/?gclid=COqq__-PkLMCFcU-MgodlUMA7Q

http://www.murrayslures.com/

http://www.sullivansline.com/

These are but a few suppliers. I'd also recommend Sleepy Creek and Victor body grip traps in 110 and 220 size for sure. (Both American made companies)