Sign in to follow this  
Dangerwolfe

Major SHFT: Who will survive the first round?

DonDon,

that is a tough situation. That quake, when it occurs (and it will - eventually) will have serious consequences hundreds of miles from the epicenter because of the geology of the area. I've read that church bells rang in Philadelphia during the 1800's quake. The rock formations transmit the energy VERY well in that part of the country so the risk is large.

Of course, there are also tornadoes, winter storms, etc to keep the prepper busy as well. Mother Nature is NOT our friend; I don't know of ANY "safe" place to live.

i'm from just outside of Memphis and the first time I ever felt a quake was the New Madrid. Dad was heading off on a three day flight and as he kissed Mom goodbye, the house moved. I new he was a helluva a man, but damn!

I used to fly into Reelfoot Lake airport for the all you can eat catfish. The lake was created during the 1811-1812 quakes and it's said that when the Mississippi river flowed backwards for almost 24 hours, it was filling the depression. I prefer the Native American legend..

From Wikipedia:

" Reelfoot Lake is said to be named for an Indian chief who had a deformed foot and was nicknamed "Reelfoot" by settlers in the early 1800s. A Chickasaw native American legend states that the name originated from a prince of a Chickasaw tribe inhabiting the present West Tennessee who was born with a deformed foot and walked with a rolling motion, so was nicknamed "Kolopin," meaning Reelfoot. When he became chief, Reelfoot determined to marry a Choctaw princess, but her father would not permit it. The Great Spirit warned Reelfoot that if he attempted to kidnap the maiden, his village and his people would be destroyed. Reelfoot disobeyed the Spirit, and seized the princess by force and carried her to Chickasaw territory, where he arranged a marriage ceremony. In the middle of the ceremony, the Great Spirit stamped his foot in anger, causing the earth to quake, and the Father of the Waters raised the Mississippi River over its banks, inundating Reelfoot's homeland. The water flowed into the imprint left by the Spirit's foot, forming a beautiful lake beneath which Reelfoot, his bride, and his people lie buried. "

Great histories surround the entire area. It's also a bald eagle protection area, which makes the airport traffic pattern interesting!

DonDon,

that is a tough situation. That quake, when it occurs (and it will - eventually) will have serious consequences hundreds of miles from the epicenter because of the geology of the area. I've read that church bells rang in Philadelphia during the 1800's quake. The rock formations transmit the energy VERY well in that part of the country so the risk is large.

Of course, there are also tornadoes, winter storms, etc to keep the prepper busy as well. Mother Nature is NOT our friend; I don't know of ANY "safe" place to live.

And I didn't even mention the Callaway nucuelar power plant or the reactor on the UMC campus