Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

food saver vs. canning.

alright guys and gals i need your input and experiance here. I am on a budget but would like to get either a food saver system or a canning setup. Which one is better and why? I know the food saver has more applications in terms of being able to store anything in the bags...which is why i'm kind of leaning towards that. But canning has a much longer shelf life for food without refrigeration...pros and cons? Expense after purchasing?( bags and cans)

I have both systems. For my needs canning is by far the better. It has longer shelf life as you have said and has proven to be the surer of the two. About 1/4 of the time the food saver bags lose vacuum. Plus , without power you can still can over a camp fire, the food saver will just burn.

If you hit the yard sales and 2nd hand shops you can find some really good deals on pressure canners. I think the last i bought was $15 for a 24 qt.

For high acid stuff like tomatoes any big pot will do.

Freds dollar store has lids cheap.

Estate sales are great for building your jar count cheap. I keep 300 qt and 150 pint with a few odd and end 1/2 and 1 gallon.

Rings are reusable and aren't really needed after the jars have sealed.

pressure canner and a large stainless steel pot for canning high acid vegetables and fruits

all the tools work for both just make sure you have a cooling rack on the bottom to prevent

breakage of the jars in the standard pot.

http://www.lehmans.com

a few other tools will be nice Sam's had a SS spoon set slotted X2 and one unslotted.

they had a stainless bowl set great for soaking pitting coring cutting corn etc

stainless colander straining and separating

stainless steel pots 5 gallon 2 gallon and a 1 gallon

a stainless steel jar funnel

Stainless measuring cups and spoons a glass measuring cups

lid lifter and lid rack

jar lifter clamp

trivet that fits in the bottom of the stainless 5 gallon pot {keeps the jars from breaking}

white towels hand towels face and a couple bath size {white to see if something is leaking or if they are dirty}

a 2 + gallon crock for pickling brining fish making sauerkraut pickles much more and a cover board

Look at garage sales good will and salvation army also auctions for manual slicers knifes dicers

If you plan on growing a lot of corn here is a tool you cannot do without one pas whole kernel corn

in a second bowl a second pass makes cream style corn.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Cutlery___Choppers_and_Cutters___American_Corn_Cutter___26227?Args=

making tortillas is easy fast and it's unleavened bread this will help with cooking on a grill

or new stoves..

http://www.lehmans.com/store/USA_Made___Kitchen___6__Burner_Plate___1162520?Args=

Tinder- The canning process attempts to kill off as much bacteria as possible, to prevent spoilage. It depends on near sterile conditions to prevent decay for long periods of time with out refridgeration or freezing.

The food saver is merely a vacuum in a bag, and has no provisions for sterility. It does help prevent freezer burn and extends your useful storage time for years, theoretically, IF you have freeze capability.

In other words for long term, no electricity, canning is the clear winner, if only one choice is possible.

My opinion.

Tinder- The canning process attempts to kill off as much bacteria as possible, to prevent spoilage. It depends on near sterile conditions to prevent decay for long periods of time with out refridgeration or freezing.

The food saver is merely a vacuum in a bag, and has no provisions for sterility. It does help prevent freezer burn and extends your useful storage time for years, theoretically, IF you have freeze capability.

In other words for long term, no electricity, canning is the clear winner, if only one choice is possible.

My opinion.

Tinder I agree with Devildog. These are two totally different tools for totally different uses. The canning method is by far the ticket for long term storage when the lights go out. The Food Saver won't do you much good then, but, it has many "other" uses. If you have to make a choice, go for canning ger and supplies. It has been around for a mighty long time and will serve you well.

If you hit the yard sales and 2nd hand shops you can find some really good deals on pressure canners. I think the last i bought was $15 for a 24 qt.

For high acid stuff like tomatoes any big pot will do.

Freds dollar store has lids cheap.

Estate sales are great for building your jar count cheap. I keep 300 qt and 150 pint with a few odd and end 1/2 and 1 gallon.

Rings are reusable and aren't really needed after the jars have sealed.

We use a outdoor propane turkey fryer with a big shallow pot. Works great.

We use a outdoor propane turkey fryer with a big shallow pot. Works great.

I agree TOTALY...I have use the turkey fryer for getting the vegeys ready.

Canning in glass offers a better protection from spoilage/longer storage/Glass jars are standard size,lids are easy to get and keep...

Its EASY after the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes you can do it over a fire with out power...

Yard sales ALAWYS have quart jars...10cents or 15cents is a good price and some times they will give to you to get rid of them ....Always carry a RING to make sure that the jar can hold the lid down firm ...

Try putting JELLEY in a vac Bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do use a vac sealer for dry supplys..Gator ade/cerial/dry milk/pinto beans/spices/Meds/Multivitamins......I combine what will cook togeather in my BOB camping cook pot.

so both have a use....JMO...

my Bible on canning is Bell blue book...B)

alright guys and gals i need your input and experiance here. I am on a budget but would like to get either a food saver system or a canning setup. Which one is better and why? I know the food saver has more applications in terms of being able to store anything in the bags...which is why i'm kind of leaning towards that. But canning has a much longer shelf life for food without refrigeration...pros and cons? Expense after purchasing?( bags and cans)

http://nchfp.uga.edu/

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

make my own ham,sausages,canning pasta sauces,chillis,roast pork,veg,hamhash,meatloafs,etc,also dry

fruits,jerky.

For long term it canning all the way for me. With food saver your looking at a freezer to keep your food safe. No power no food. Canning has served many generations well. Great advice from others to shop smart. Some of the best equipment is the older stuff. Lawn sales are great. Good luck. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

pressure canner and a large stainless steel pot for canning high acid vegetables and fruits

all the tools work for both just make sure you have a cooling rack on the bottom to prevent

breakage of the jars in the standard pot.

http://www.lehmans.com

a few other tools will be nice Sam's had a SS spoon set slotted X2 and one unslotted.

they had a stainless bowl set great for soaking pitting coring cutting corn etc

stainless colander straining and separating

stainless steel pots 5 gallon 2 gallon and a 1 gallon

a stainless steel jar funnel

Stainless measuring cups and spoons a glass measuring cups

lid lifter and lid rack

jar lifter clamp

trivet that fits in the bottom of the stainless 5 gallon pot {keeps the jars from breaking}

white towels hand towels face and a couple bath size {white to see if something is leaking or if they are dirty}

a 2 + gallon crock for pickling brining fish making sauerkraut pickles much more and a cover board

Look at garage sales good will and salvation army also auctions for manual slicers knifes dicers

If you plan on growing a lot of corn here is a tool you cannot do without one pas whole kernel corn

in a second bowl a second pass makes cream style corn.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Cutlery___Choppers_and_Cutters___American_Corn_Cutter___26227?Args=

making tortillas is easy fast and it's unleavened bread this will help with cooking on a grill

or new stoves..

http://www.lehmans.com/store/USA_Made___Kitchen___6__Burner_Plate___1162520?Args=

We miss ya snake