Sign in to follow this  
nobody

How's your ammo supply?

How much ammo do you have on hand?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How much ammo do you have on hand?

• More than 10,000 rounds
    • More than 5,000 rounds
    • More than 1,000 rounds
    • Less than 1,000

I agree capt.The x39 holds the lions share of my ammo stock(accept 22lr of course) with about half as much x54.I'll stick with the x39 as home defence, the x54 is a good round for just about all north american big game and the 22s pickup the small stuff. I also bought an insert that lets me shoot x25 in my x54s, For up to deer sized game it is a good single shot option. I also mix a good amount of 12 gauge.

I really need to focus on this. I get online, shop around, and become overwhelmed. I've got so many different guns that I want to buy for and would like to have over 2,000 rounds for certain ones (.308, .223, 12 ga, .45, and .40).

Ark-Fan,

It can be tough but it helps to prioritize. With current political environment I tend to pay only cash for arms stuff if at all possible. That limits my mail order stuff somewhat. Still, look at what you shoot and then decide.

I suspect you need more pistol ammo than anything else. Since they require the most skill to employ effectively, you probably practice more with them.

I'd wager you shoot the .223 more than the .308. That is cool, rifle skill is fairly transportable between platforms and if the platforms are the same then even the clearing drills, etc are the same.

If you hunt with the 12, then you need to practice. I don't do much hunting and I don't do much skeet/trap so I don't need a large amount of practice ammo for my shotguns. It is all CQB kind of stuff and that is a different skill set than birds on the wing.

Think about what your everyday carry weapons will be after TSHTF and have ammo to keep current with those firearms. Five hundred rounds of hunting ammo is probably more than enough, handgun ammo goes fast so you'll need plenty. Look at what you think you'll need the most of and go from there. Have a basic load for each weapon (maybe as few as a hundred rounds- 250 would be better) then build for more starting with your heaviest use weapon. A thousand for each handgun (buy more when it gets down to 750), 500 for each rifle (buy more at 400), and 250 for the shotgun (buy at 200) is probably not a bad basic load. Oh, you can never have enough .22LR. It is cheap, easily shot for training, hunting, sport anything, and if you buy 50 (Cabela's had 325 for $11 last time I was in the store) every time you see a box you'll quickly have a load. If you don't have a .22LR I recommend you get one. For under $250 probably the most versatile firearm around.

It is easy to have thousands of dollars locked up in ammo. Since the goal is survival and not fighting a major war, you can spend so much on bullets that you jeopardize your survival by not having other needed items.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Very well put Capt. my 22lr exceed 10,000 rounds the next closest is my pistol, then assault rifle, 12 gauge is next and hunting rifles bring up the rear with just over 1000(remember I'm buying for three) A quick note on the 22lr , wal-mart has 333 rounds for $9.99

I generally buy my ammo in bulk from Cheaper Than Dirt, even with shipping it's cheaper than most gun shops. My local Wal-Mart seems to always have a limited variety and supply. I did buy 1640 rounds of 7.62x54R from Dunhams at a good price (although it may be because of thier grand openning.)

Wally, I made a Wal-Mart ammo run today too and scored big. I bought 250 rounds of 45 acp, for $79. For Massachusetts, that was too good to pass up! When checking out they charged me $98. I went to the service desk and then proved that they had the ammo in the wrong spot and since it was behind locked glass, no customer moved it. So I got it for $79. I should have bought 750 rounds!

Meban, as I have written here before, those of us ‘lucky’ enough to live in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts knows that the government makes it so difficult to purchase ammo via the Internet that few sites will send ammo here. And ‘Cheaper than Dirt’ is one of them. I cry a little every time I go there and droll over the cost of ammo in Free Amerika!

You're right. I am trying to prioritize, but I get lost in what costs less and where I can get the most bang for the buck. I am a hobby shootist with handguns and am never without one. That said, I've probably got around 750 rounds between the .45 and .40. I just want more particularly FMJs. I can't think of any reason I'd intentionally shoot my JHPs, other than self-defense, and so having 200 or less of those is fine in my book. Right now I've got what's in the .45 and mags in JHPs, a few spare, what's in the .40 and its spare mags and another box. The rest are all FMJs for plinking, practicing, and that's actually what I load if I go down to the "woods" and walk around.

Good point on the .308. I don't shoot it that much. It's zeroed in, and it's certainly not a gun I shoot for fun. I know I've even considered having as few as 200 rounds for it (and probably will hover around that), but see how it goes I even forgot that when typing my post.

I'm ok with different sized 12 gauge hunting shells. I want more of that though due to versatility. I'd like to get some more 00 buck. I think I've got about 30-45 of that total.

With regards to the .223 loads, that's the gun I have some concerns about. I'm not of the mindset that I'm preparing for combat, but I envision defensive loads for that platform could become more regulated and/or hard to get as other preppers try and stockpile.

Think about this idea...

I have several other guns of varying calibers and am not really concerned about having an indefinite supply of ammunition for those. One thing I've been looking at getting is a .357 Magnum revolver say a 4 inch Taurus 66. I'd like to have a S&W, but don't see myself actually using it enough to warrant the cost. However, it seems like a decent hideaway gun I could put up somewhere (yes even mentioning this on an open forum) and retrieve later for both hunting and self-defense. Thoughts??????