Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

Bad weather and food.

Here in florida,we just got our first storm warning,so besides gas,propane,water,etc,we need food,one big mistake people make is buying refrigerated food items,my own sister,after many warnings from me,had to dump a freezer full of meat,if your not into canning,which I highly recomend,can goods is your next best bet,familiy size cans,no left overs,a pot with water to heat the cans of food over a flame,served in paper plates,no cleaning of pots and pans,and if you have a bbq,you can make bread,bisquits,instant cake,

frying cast pot for dougnuts,coffee and you`re readytogo.

good luck.B)

Good luck down there RTG. Feel certain you are well prepared. I'm scheduled to travel to Florida on Monday and will be watching Isaac until then. Currently, TWC projects it as a Cat 1 there on Monday afternoon.

Good luck down there RTG. Feel certain you are well prepared. I'm scheduled to travel to Florida on Monday and will be watching Isaac until then. Currently, TWC projects it as a Cat 1 there on Monday afternoon.

Sorry it took me this long to say thank you,Thank You,and thanks God we just got a little rain and wind,and yes, I had plenty of preps,just waiting for the season to be over so I can eat them;)hope you made it to Florida ok,take care.

Good point about stocking up on non-perishables. Not only because you wind up losing a ton of (expensive) food when you lose power, but because all of those non-perishables only have to be purchased once if they aren't used in the first storm, they'll still be available for any subsequent storms. But anything in your fridge will likely spoil long before the hurricane season ends.

Hope that it's mostly a "little rain and wind" season for everyone this year. Be safe!

Good point about stocking up on non-perishables. Not only because you wind up losing a ton of (expensive) food when you lose power, but because all of those non-perishables only have to be purchased once if they aren't used in the first storm, they'll still be available for any subsequent storms. But anything in your fridge will likely spoil long before the hurricane season ends.

Hope that it's mostly a "little rain and wind" season for everyone this year. Be safe!

Every year during the season,I cut back on freezer items,it gives a reason for using my canning,and recanning more,and with the hope that nothing happens.