Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Who knows their craft?

Is there a way to rank the people who write these threads?

I am new here, so I'm unsure who know's about each topic and who's just wasting my time.

I can tell some here are quite knowledgeable and others are just guessing. Is there a raking system? Can there be?

Seems most of us here try and help with information that we personally have/had experience with. The purpose is to help someone less knowledgable in the things we've already experienced or have experience in. Only you can choose as to whether you'd take any advice or not. I'm always learning something, maybe not every day but

somewhere, somehow, I manage to get the lightbulb effect.

Most anything can be dug up on the net. I think of myself as being a jack of all trades, granted I have mastered a few by state certifications, associate degree and being in uncle sams army, once upon a time.

Edited by desert rat

Alot of us here have specialties. We all chip in our 2cents...some more than others, maybe a Nickle

THe mental list i've made of who to ask stuff goes something like this:

Capt Bart, Juzcallmesnake: General survival tips, weps, home defence, politics

OregonChick, NanaQuilts: how to make a BOL homey

Medical: Dr.Bones & Nurse Amy

Electronics/Power: Me

Alot of us here have specialties. We all chip in our 2cents...some more than others, maybe a Nickle

THe mental list i've made of who to ask stuff goes something like this:

Capt Bart, Juzcallmesnake: General survival tips, weps, home defence, politics

OregonChick, NanaQuilts: how to make a BOL homey

Medical: Dr.Bones & Nurse Amy

Electronics/Power: Me

Ahhhh....geeez...Now I feel bad I didn't make the list....bummmmmer!:rolleyes:

I think quite a few know a lot and most who are taking this seriously will be doing great

some takes some technique but if you got a back yard and a little time you can sharpen many of these skills

with plastic sheeting you can make water proof charts that YOU thing you need to remember but do

not use all the time.

I know the declination for my area but can i remember the compass declination for Pennsylvania NO.

Ship Captains have charts hard copy and computerized no one can keep all of this in their head.

I have been blessed and have worked in all the things I wanted but many have had to keep their nose

to the grindstone and make a living at only a few jobs but they make our lives better I ask people to print

information so should the day come when you cannot afford the net or for some reason cannot call out.

natural disasters and man made like bridges and dams power grid stress your going to need some of this

information to be comfortable much less survive.

you can have all the knowledge of the ages but if you break a leg your rotting flesh and bones in the dirt.

so try not to get the big head nature and happenstance may take a hand in the game LOL.

When I start a thread I ask a question about something if I don't know much about the topic. If I do then I'll give my opinion and others in in their experience as well

This. And this is the reason I post rarely. I am more the 'comic relief' kind of poster...

But its on the internet. Its gotta be true, right?

Nobody - I didn't mean to make light of your question. There is no way to rank anyone or the information they provide on this website. Like anything, you probably need to use numerous sources to find information that you are searching for here. Heck, I'd say very few of the members here actually know each other. I have not met one person on this site. Just because some folks present alot of information or use alot of jargon that does not mean it is either correct, useful or legitimate. That said, depending on your own knowledge, experience, etc., you will eventually learn what is true, untrue, total fabrication/B.S. and useful. Good luck.

Along with a few others, I agree with those lists. I break it down into three types of preppers.

1st. The ready. Those who simply wish to have the tools and skills they need to survive, any situation.

2nd. The afraid. Those who feel helpless and are looking to remedy that threw planning and preparing.

3rd. The Rambos. Those who think a bigger gun and more ammo solve all problems.

The first two are hard to tell apart, and the afraid can become the ready, not that the ready don't know fear. But they already have a plan and and preps to feel secure in most situations.

The third type aren't of much use to me. I was just hoping to have a quick way to tell the difference.

I will say, from reading the posts here, I see fewer Rambos that at most sites. That's a good thing.

mall ninja

Is the word you are looking for.............................................................

A term used in forums to mean an unexperienced and enthusiastic weapon(usually a firearm)owner who pretends to be a seasoned operator. The phrase came about as a result of an over the top character in a famous satirical thread.

I am a part time mall ninja and I am currently recieving the escalator assualt training.B-)

I've always thought of myself as the Rambo type. Unfortunately, all I have are a nerf gun and a water pistol.

Seriously, it doesn't take long to figure out who knows what, and I have to say that I've learned from just about everyone here. Okay, sometimes it's what NOT to do . . .

Is there a way to rank the people who write these threads?

I am new here, so I'm unsure who know's about each topic and who's just wasting my time.

I can tell some here are quite knowledgeable and others are just guessing. Is there a raking system? Can there be?

EVERYBODY here has something to offer. thing is what they have to offer is on their own personal level.

everybody is at their own pace and running their own race. if you find that someone is "wasting your time" well then turn the page. i would much rather hear someones guessing than to hear nothing from them at all.

Like many things that really count in life, we have to look at others' experiences and see if there is a lesson for us. What works for a 63 year old dinosaur in Houston might be totally inappropriate for a young family in Colorado.

The key here is for each of us to be honest with everyone, especially ourselves, about our skill set. I get ticked if you lie to me. You can get dead if you lie to yourself and believe the lie; it happens every year when some rookie decides he's Rambo or Les Stroud and sets out to prove it in the woods.

We are each responsible for ourselves and our families. I try to discourage the mall ninjas and the blowhards from staying on the site but I also try not to run folks off just because I disagree but if they advocate breaking the law, insult those on the web, or just constantly use poor manners I will remove offenders. I may not always be right, but I care for you guys, your families and your survival. I think most, if not all on this site feel the same way.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Like many things that really count in life, we have to look at others' experiences and see if there is a lesson for us. What works for a 63 year old dinosaur in Houston might be totally inappropriate for a young family in Colorado.

The key here is for each of us to be honest with everyone, especially ourselves, about our skill set. I get ticked if you lie to me. You can get dead if you lie to yourself and believe the lie; it happens every year when some rookie decides he's Rambo or Les Stroud and sets out to prove it in the woods.

We are each responsible for ourselves and our families. I try to discourage the mall ninjas and the blowhards from staying on the site but I also try not to run folks off just because I disagree but if they advocate breaking the law, insult those on the web, or just constantly use poor manners I will remove offenders. I may not always be right, but I care for you guys, your families and your survival. I think most, if not all on this site feel the same way.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Couldn't have said it better you dinosaur! And Capt...thanks for caring!

I've always thought of myself as the Rambo type. Unfortunately, all I have are a nerf gun and a water pistol.

Seriously, it doesn't take long to figure out who knows what, and I have to say that I've learned from just about everyone here. Okay, sometimes it's what NOT to do . . .

I got a mental image, I am still trying not to think about it {bad snake bad snake}

Hmmm... Ill tell you what, Nobody -

If you are looking for a little advice you can really trust...here's some:

The difference between success(survival, comfort, happiness) and failure(death, drudgery,unhappy) might be the result of the actions you take. You also may survive just due to blind happenstance. Be responsible for your own welfare, and don't expect all the correct answers to be in any certain places. I have come to respect the information and advice from Capt Bart and many others here on SC. IMMENSELY! However, I sift it, cogitate on it and compare it to what else I know, and if I find it has merit, I may follow it. I do NOT take anything ex-cathedra.

In some instances, things I have "known and believed" I have had to change my opinions as new / better information has come to light, or just a set of circumstances I had not previously thought about.

So, all you experts, and wannabes and anyone else with the desire to write their recommendation-thank you! I WILL consider it and then I will decide whether its good or not. Just maybe even the things I read about that do not make any sense now, they may sometime in the future if situations change.

So in short....Here is the advice you can trust. None of us are responsible for your welfare, and none of us have the only and all the "right answers". If you are worried about wasting your time in discussions and considerations about prepping, you should not be on the forum. You should go by a "how to" book and just do exactly what it says. Then you won't have to waste any time, unless you accidentally survive.