Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest kevin

best friend for survival?

99 posts in this topic

i had a good dog once, a black lab, spaniel mix, best bird dog and rabbit dog. he was 15, went blind and could no longer move on his own. now ive got a hyper , too hyper lab female of no account. shes dumb as a brick, eats 30 dollars worth of food a week and whines all the time.. cant break her of the whining... (the wifes dog) oh well. wife says no more dogs...

I miss my old lab/boxer mix. Prettiest dog ever, and extremely well tempered. Never bit the siblings, and scouted out the house every night a couple of times a night. I dont need an attack dog, i have an attack Taurus. But do like having an early alert pooch.

Our newest, some kind of collie my wife brought home, is no matter how hard I try to avoid it, turning into a great dog, he patrols the house regularly at night and checks on the kids, try's to walk them to the bus stop( which got our last dog a beautiful Bristol colored boxer killed) stays with my little girl above all others when she is outside, doesn't bark except to try and give the POS dog in our back yard neighbors (that will quite possibly be the next thing I shoot( the dog not the neighbor)) a heart attack by working him up. The wife got the dog because she said I couldn't mope around the house waiting for Memphis ( my boxer) to stick his big block head in my lap so I could scratch his big floppy ears, she and the kids insist I move on. I still don't show them that I like the new dog yet....not ready for the wife to be right (again)

If you are looking for heart, companionship and portability a Yorkie is just the thing!! LOL, if my Yorkie was as big as a Black Lab I wouldn't even worry about a gun. She bit the neighbors male shepherd right in the worst place between his back legs because he was barking at me!! Now he's freaking terrified of her! LOL. She also feels real nice in the bottom of the sleeping bag on a cold night. Nothing slips past her and unlike most small dogs she is actually pretty good about STFU on command.

It would be, of course my german shepherd, for two things, 1. I already have him and 2. love him to much. What would really suck at TEOTWAWKI would be if he was taken away from me for purpose of someone having a meal. That would get me a very angry and pissed off......

Also I read about this type of dog - DOGO ARGENTINO, on one side very loving, loyal on the the other fearless and brutal. I read a stories of Dogo taking on a couple of bullets and still charging at you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5bFr3B6qs

Ok I went and picked up another dog today, a American boxer/blue tick mix from Craigslist at the pleading from my #2 som whos dog was stolen a month and a half ago. The breeds sounded right and all the events that lead up felt right. My son is going to be very disappointed because this dog is mine, I have always been good a judging dogs and this one is going to chose me (it's my ear scratching ) he is very smart. Comes from a family bigger than mine! He is learning so very fast just what is expected from him here and the family that had him was a good home, the wife was almost crying as we drove away. We are going on a camping trip tomorrow after I get home from work so he goes straight into the fire to test him, I know that this is aweful soon to take him from his new home and into the chaos of camping with 4 kids, but it will be a good test right out the gate. Nothing gets you past losing a good dog like a good dog!

DonDon, your dog being stolen? what a f.....up world we are living in. What type of dog was that? I can't imagine how would I react if my dog would get stolen, have a german shepherd, he is part of me, love him to death...........sorry to hear that, man

He is a collie I can even say for sure what kind. The camping trip went great with him and I took all 5 kids, he never tried to leave camp, although we never let him off a leash, guarded the camp and chased a coon off that tried to slip in on us. Did have a little issue tonight with him though......our cat who is one of your average multi family outdoor runabouts graced us with his presence tonight and when I saw my 5year old carrying him to the couch to pet him I asked the other boys if they had seen the new dog and the cat together yet and they all said no, but when I watched the new dog walk right by them and give them only a casuall glance I went on to other things, well it wasn't 30 second later that I heard the cat hiss the dog snarl and the boy scream long story short the older dog start with the cat, new dog jumps in to help his friend, boy has I kind you not 5 linear feet of cat scratches all over his body, and two canine puntures one on his lip the other on his eyebrow, so new dog although more than sorry crawls over for his beating ( really just three good whacks on the nose) old dog hides undeR the bed gets dragged out for his beating, and I just heard the oldest say he just saw the cat and he seems to be alive and no worse for the wear. I dont think I will have this issue again at least not from the new dog.....anyone need a less than bright dachshund/beagle/? Mix???

I have a Cane Corso, I bought an extra 50lb bag of her food and I rotate now every time I go to pet store, so I always have two 50lb bags one of wich is always full, she is a quiet dog but I wouldnt want to see how she reacted if she sensed I was in danger

Breeds are breeds because they are task specific breeding. With that scenario, you always get pluses and minuses in every breed. I love all spaniels-mine are cockers- because they are great family dogs, love to hunt, walk (trail), defend their territory (yes! I have been bitten by spaniels and they pack some good flesh tearing), fairly easy to train, and love to be with you but don't obsessively require constant attention. They are also soft and huggable. I do not expect these dogs to take on a bear or mountain lion. I would have a German Shepherd or a Kuvasz. So, I divide my needs into house dog/environment dog. They would both be inside and outside, but I don't expect double duty. Whatever you pick-your survival stores should be include long term dog survival. For my cockers (2) I have 50 pounds of stored Blue Buffalo and a minimum of 5-50 pound kibble sacks at all times. That is for dogs who eat 1/2 cup 2x a day. Buy the very best dog kibble you can find, because you either pay for it going into the dog, or at the vet's office. Study up on medications, take a class on giving your own shots, and know what to dispense if a vet can't be found. There is no point in making your dog part of your survival if it isn't around in 3 months.

I was wondering if dog food goes bad, I would like to have a few bags stored but I thought it may get stale or go bad

I was wondering if dog food goes bad, I would like to have a few bags stored but I thought it may get stale or go bad

You get about a year shelf life on most dog food. You should also store it in a metal trash can or pet smart sells think plastic pet food holders to keep out vermin

You get about a year shelf life on most dog food. You should also store it in a metal trash can or pet smart sells think plastic pet food holders to keep out vermin

I store mine now in a plastic kitchen garbage can.