Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

best friend for survival?

Yeah, because of how they're built (shorter back legs)...they have a tendency to sink. I don't have one but my kid does and that was one of the things they told him when he got the dog.

I'm sure they're fine for short hauls...but a longer one may cause em problems.

Basenji, no barking, stupid enough to attack any thing.

My only experience with these was my best friend friend growing up had one, the most blood thirsty psyho beast I have known was around that dog for over 10 years still could not be alone with it, even when it was dying and couldn't even walk it would try to crawl across the floor to get at me?

I really can't make up my mind on this one had so many great dogs...a rott killer Dalmatian, a rat terrier that would ride anything with me from horses to motorcycles and loved boats, a Shepard/chow/? Mutt that read people like a book and protected my kids fearlessly... All I know is I wish I still had them all!

Edited by DonDon

DonDon,

I know what you mean about some of the dogs that you had in the past. I had a cocker spaniel mix that was probably the best guard dog I've ever owned. He was knee high and fearless, and if you didn't live in our house and came on our property you were fair game.

If company came over we had to go outside so they could get out of their car, the garbage men always sent the new guy to get our trash because the dog wouldn't let them steal our valuable trash.

I still miss that dog, he would be the perfect survival friend.

We have had German Shepherds for 20 years. GREAT companions, outstanding watch/protection dogs, fantastic with kids (our grand kids) . Downside: Lots of poop, BIG lapdogs, shed enough dogDOWN to spin a few sweaters, coats, etc.

I loathe small dogs, only way I would have them is a HERD of them for appetizers on the grill.

Had a field training officer (when I was in law enforcement) When chasing a suspect through yards LOOK at the SIZE of the dog poop! Was great advice.

I've had German Shepherds almost all of my life. Theye are fantastic dogs but they will "run" deer instead of tracking them. If I could only have one breed of dog I'd be inclined to go with the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Tremendous endurance, great hunting dogs, protective and loyal watch dogs.

The French hearding dog; the Briard. Although it is French, don't let that make you think it'll retreat! Lol it's a great guard dog with hearing much better than most breeds so they are alert while most dogs are taking a nap and at 65-80 lbs for females to males they are just big enough to impose but also a manageable size for owners. Our Briard is pretty ferocious when strangers come to the door but love able with the kids.

Breeds are breeds because they are task specific breeding. With that scenario, you always get pluses and minuses in every breed. I love all spaniels-mine are cockers- because they are great family dogs, love to hunt, walk (trail), defend their territory (yes! I have been bitten by spaniels and they pack some good flesh tearing), fairly easy to train, and love to be with you but don't obsessively require constant attention. They are also soft and huggable. I do not expect these dogs to take on a bear or mountain lion. I would have a German Shepherd or a Kuvasz. So, I divide my needs into house dog/environment dog. They would both be inside and outside, but I don't expect double duty. Whatever you pick-your survival stores should be include long term dog survival. For my cockers (2) I have 50 pounds of stored Blue Buffalo and a minimum of 5-50 pound kibble sacks at all times. That is for dogs who eat 1/2 cup 2x a day. Buy the very best dog kibble you can find, because you either pay for it going into the dog, or at the vet's office. Study up on medications, take a class on giving your own shots, and know what to dispense if a vet can't be found. There is no point in making your dog part of your survival if it isn't around in 3 months.

I have an ACD (red heeler), he is good on or off the leash, stops when I say, stays quiet most of the time. He's a great companion a snake killer and has a great attitude. The one blue eye and one brown eye usually puts people on edge, so he's also a psychogical help. Now I'm done

hi all

i don't know dogs very well.but jack russels and weiner dogs were breed for going into dens and tunnels. for groundhogs ect.

Actually...wiener dogs were bred to go into badger holes after badgers...among other things here in the states some people do use em on prairie dogs. The breed is in the hound group of dogs, they can be used for hunting and will/can follow a scent trail that is over 24 hours old.

Just saying

Ya know, we have all these reasons for this pup or that pup but the truth is, we need our dogs to keep us sane! There is a physical reaction in humans to pets, it calms us, lowers blood pressure and stress levels. Seems to me that is more than enough payback for having them along. Everything else, and there is a LOT of 'everything else', is just gravy.

Just the not so humble opinion of someone totally owned by a pup.:o

Everything else, and there is a LOT of 'everything else', is just gravy.

Capt, I thought Kevin said we weren't discussing them as a "food" item...lol... and you go and mention gravy.

Sorry, couldn't resist. It has been a long week already and seems to be getting longer.

I have a husky/shepard mix thats a great dog. I have considered a german shepard or doberman but I would prob get another mix breed.

Mix breeds tend to be the healthiest. Not so many genetic disorders from early inbreeding to get the breed established.

I'll say the best dog to have is the one you already have. If it's anything like my 2 black labs, they already have a sense of loyalty that's unmatched.

indeed and probably the best answer by far. being a dog lover im ashamed i didnt come up with this answer myself.

im glad to see that you being a forum newbie, you have went back and looked at one of our better threads and brought

it back to life again. just like in life we tend to forget to our past on here and its always good for a newbie to remind us as

to where we came from.