Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest kevin

best friend for survival?

99 posts in this topic

ok now the fighting starts.

what dog would be your choice for a teotwawki.(not as a food source .....sry reg)

factors would include, hunting,protection,feeding,ect.

i'll start. for me it'd be the black mouth cur.

what it be for you ?(first one who says pekingese gets booted)

Edited by kevin

I never heard of a BMC until now! Looks like a nice, smart, well rounded dog.

(OK - I was going to say an even dozen Yorkies but I figured they would fall into the same class as the Pekingese. :D)

Edited by Rod

I'd definitely consider the black mouth cur after reading the description!

Given that my likely future home and property will be in the same territory as large predators, I've seriously thought about the kind of dog that I'd want to have. I would need a dog that would be useful for guarding/protection in an overall way, but also one that I could take out in the woods with me and know it would be alert to and willing to challenge a bear or cougar if it came down to it. That's what makes me think I'd choose a Karelian Bear Dog:

The Karelian Bear Dog has a good sense of humor. It is sensitive, independent, intelligent, skillful, tough on itself, and energetic. A robust, persistent, and powerful dog, it is willing to take on virtually any game animal. This dog is very loyal to its owner's family and makes a good household companion when it has owners who know how to display leadership... They are affectionate towards people and will announce both welcome and unwelcome visitors. Visitors the dogs knows well will get an enthusiastic welcome while strangers may be treated coldly. This breed is very protective. They will protect you with their life.

Others I will look into when I have property:

• Beauceron (herding, police work, even helped on front lines of WWI; strong willed but good companion animals)
  • Rottweiler (guard dog, herding, highly trainable, completely lovable family members, need socialization)
  • Shiloh Shepherd (much like a German shepherd, but bred to be heavier and not have hip problems)
  • Tibetan Mastiff (guard/herd dog, ferocious against large predators, fairly docile and easy to train)

well chick i have an english mastiff now but if i had to feed him in a teotwawki i gotta say he wouldn't make it. that's one of the reasons i'd go with a bmc. iv'e never owned one but i have seen their abilities while hog hunting with some of my boggy creek buddies....we had a 300 lb boar bayed up and he had already cut 3 of the chase dogs pretty good when my brother in law set his cur on the hog....it wasn't even close. the 70 lb dog instantly bull rushed the hog, bit down on the boars ear sat down and that was that, end of fight. we put the boar down with a knife, and when he breathed his last the cur was still holding on tight. the bravery and speed of the dog impressed me more than an dog before or since.....no fear, just get the job done, that was all that he cared about.

weimaraner. our weim has been an awesome dog and he's super fast and is always catching a number of small animals and delivering them to us! Great water dog as well and hunting small and large game alike. Theres something to be said about a dog that can take a jeep to the face and still live a healthy life...

probably a small dog that you could:

thow in your BOB if needed

barks at strangers

runs from bad trouble

small target

most importantly, eats minimal amounts of food b/c you and he will be on the same diet.

probably a small dog that you could:

thow in your BOB if needed

barks at strangers

runs from bad trouble

small target

most importantly, eats minimal amounts of food b/c you and he will be on the same diet.

pekingese? hahahahaha

problems with small dogs is (and i know im gonna get flak for this) They're stupid. I've never seen a small dog that you can get to STFU when you want it too... which isn't so good if you're hiding/not wanting to be detected. and there's not much they can do to defend you should you need it

ok now the fighting starts.

what dog would be your choice for a teotwawki.(not as a food source .....sry reg)

factors would include, hunting,protection,feeding,ect.

i'll start. for me it'd be the black mouth cur.

what it be for you ?(first one who says pekingese gets booted)

Being in a northern climate which usually has some snow in the winter, I'd like huskies. They are bred to pull a sled/wagon and the ones I have been around are loyal and have been very protective. Australian shepherds make good family dogs as well.

On a side note, they go good with baked cattail root and mushroom gravy....LMAO... couldn't resist Kevin.

Hmmm...

Well, I like Rotties, but as someone else has already mentioned...I'd hate to have to feed him.

I thought about a wiener dog <wife has one now>, he's pretty bright and they are also hunting dogs, hell you could even hunt bear with him. Just have to stake him in the middle of the clearing. But when he hears things <cars in the driveway, cars at the end of the driveway> he just won't shut up, so that kinda ruins the OpSec part.

Had thought mainly about either a Boxer or a Blue Heeler. Hadn't thought about the Cur, did read up on them and like the fact that they are good family dogs and are psychotic enough to fight a bear. There is even a BMC rescue group.

Well, the food aspect is one of the reasons why I think the Karelian Bear Dog would be my first choice. It's actually only a 45-50 lb. dog, and is said to have a small appetite for its size. There are reasons that I would investigate this breed further before committing to getting a bear dog (it requires a considerable amount of one-on-one training time and has been bred to be an independent hunter, so unless it's well-trained and fully bonded with you, it's likely to escape enclosures and head out into the great unknown whenever it gets bored). But on balance, it's also intelligent, fearless, and has a lot of energy, which would be helpful in terms of keeping its "pack" safe.

I listed the other dogs I'd consider if I decide a bear dog is too much for me, but each has its pluses and minuses. And I'll admit that there's something to be said for just getting a mutt that you 'click' with at the humane society, too.

A couple of Australian healers or dachshunds

I have had many dogs once we got a shizsu and a dachshund the pair were fearless attack anything

one ot one end one at the other and circle they fought off coons possums feral animals of all kinds

killed snakes and loved to take on big dogs and would run off pit bulls and the owners it was funny as hell

unless you saw it you would not believe it my neighbor whom we have known for 15 + years has always had

dachshunds usually 2 to 3 one afternoon her son came in from school and the house had bee broken into

he was calling her to tell her and heard noise in the back she told him to turn out the dogs

he was scared but he did and the sh*t was on like donkey kong those dogs ripped the hell out of 2

men and one hung on over a 6 foot wood fence blood all over the place in the house through the house

about 2 days later the dog that went over the fence found its way back home once they start on something

it either dies or is fast and strong enough to escape.

(Australian Heeler) (Hall's Heeler) (Queensland Heeler) (Blue Heeler) (Australian Cattledog) (Australischer Treibhund)

blue healers as we call them we had one named Penny she was awesome she could bound a 4 foot

fence like it was nothing fearless and solid muscle we had to keep her on a runner I hate doing that

but we rescued her and she was not going to changer her ways she had a 75 foot run 30 foot wide

and we would let her off 2 to 4 times a day she knew where the end of the chain was and could care less

full throttle and hit the end she would break that cable every couple of months.

bones were not a problem femur cow bones I bought her all kinds of toys but her favorite was a radiator hose

from my chevy truck she would shake it side to side and it would hit her hard on both sides of the head and she would toss it and play fetch with herself.

she would grab you with both paws around the leg so you could not go and could play for hours

like a 35 mph 35 pound medicine ball very aggressive but very loyal and was smart as any dog I ever had

but they need room and you need to rough house with them they think beating them with a radiator hose

is a game and your trying to keep them from tackling you or knocking you down as I said she was older

and had not been taken care of but after a few days she was like family a mentally disturbed part but a part none the less.

I had a problem in my chicken pen so I out her out there {she never hurt the chickens} she liked it out there

she killed coons dogs cats and possums and tore a bobcat a new azz but did not bother our cat or other dog

I loved that dog she was a real trip never a dull moment

I would say you need at least an acer and nothing would live there that was not there charge

the best animals I or my family had were German Sheppard Labrador black and gold, schnauzer blue healers and we had a border collie later I had dachshunds and we had the one shizu and now we have a gold lab.

and a rescue afenpincher all rescue dogs and all stoutly defensive of the family.

when I got older smaller dogs but their loyalty and fierceness was equal to their love of family.

as far as all around hunting patrolling defensive and protection of the family blue healers and dachshunds

in pairs for size and determination theses are some loving and fierce animals all animals need a "friend"

they seem to do better and are healthier overall.

they say if you want to know who your real friend is to lock your girl friend and your dog in the trunk of a car

cme back after 4 hours and see who's happy to see you.

I would LOVE, LOVE to have another rottie!!! I had a giant back in Germany, 180lbs, got him down to a fighting weight of 145lb, best dog EVER!!! With him by my side my mom would let me go anywhere.

For me it is my german shepherd, he goes with me pretty much everywhere. Got him when he was 8 weeks old and since than he's been my best, loyal friend. Very protective, obedient, very sharp, great swimmer and loves the woods.

I would LOVE, LOVE to have another rottie!!! I had a giant back in Germany, 180lbs, got him down to a fighting weight of 145lb, best dog EVER!!! With him by my side my mom would let me go anywhere.

ROTS ARE GREAT AT SLOBBERING other than that one disgusting trait they are fantastic dogs

I think i would bring my cat... Can sustain itself and brings me a constant supply of lizards and frogs and is prout to do it. It even brought a flying squirrel in the house one night. ALIVE! That was an interesting night!

I might get no protection, but with her around, I wouldn't starve... haha

And she follows me like a dog...

While I have always described a 'dinky dog' as anything smaller than a German Shepard, I find there are a great many pluses to the rat terrier size pups. They do sound an alarm very well (not a plus during a GOOD event, perhaps) so are a great alarm system and, by size and temperament, great for holding down the rodent problem at a BOL.

Also harder for the BGs to shoot if things go really badly.

Just a thought.

Give me a MUTT..every time...............

My best dog was a small pup that was left on a string tyed to a tree....Ok so he was a small dog but he chased rabbit all day long and came when I called!!!!!!!!!He layed under the crib with my first daughter..anything got close he moved and checked it out..."RUSTY"was a friend.....

Advantage is you can Pick your friends/you cant pick your relatives...

I like a smaller dog............short hair....comes when called...None HYPER...JMO....