Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

CB Radios

Also, look at marine radios. Great for OPSEC and if you live inland theres less competition for radio time than the CB. It's an excellent device for group communication.

We comunicated all day long,but what about the event day,something simple,easy to used

and available,portable base unit,power,portable units,solar charge packs,a prepared wire clip antenna,for better range,prepared power cords,12v,120v,sun,related transformers,the main idea is to keep in comunication with the group,and able to maintain the equipment in

good orther,spares parts,fuses,batteries,even if you are alone,a good radio may keep you out of harms way,and into good ones,anyway comunication is very important.

I know one thing, I sure do miss my MKVI Browning Golden Eagle. Although it was from the seventies it had the upper and lower sidebands. I believe it would still be of use.

A little larger capacitor for that squeel from the D104. I won't mention the Black Cat for shooting skip. An adjustable Moonraker Beam on a 40' tower and a Starduster for non-directional signal.

The mobile was a 23 channel Robin with a little Palomar. A loaded Signal Kicker antenna and if memory serves me correctly the standing wave on it was about 1.5. I miss the good old days.

As far as staying in contact during an emergency. I've managed to store 4 UNIDEN GMR4099s with VOX headsets with privacy settings.

They're rated for a 40 mile range. That 40 mile won't happen around here. I only got them for short range comms.

I know one thing, I sure do miss my MKVI Browning Golden Eagle. Although it was from the seventies it had the upper and lower sidebands. I believe it would still be of use.

A little larger capacitor for that squeel from the D104. I won't mention the Black Cat for shooting skip. An adjustable Moonraker Beam on a 40' tower and a Starduster for non-directional signal.

The mobile was a 23 channel Robin with a little Palomar. A loaded Signal Kicker antenna and if memory serves me correctly the standing wave on it was about 1.5. I miss the good old days.

As far as staying in contact during an emergency. I've managed to store 4 UNIDEN GMR4099s with VOX headsets with privacy settings.

They're rated for a 40 mile range. That 40 mile won't happen around here. I only got them for short range comms.

I know you did none of that because it would be illegal - so, with that in mind - you might check out the Bay of E to see what folks have out there.

A good question would be, how do all of the forum members stay in touch if the SHTF? It would be nice if we had a common freq. or some way to communicate with a secure net. There should be enough members with comm experience out there to figure that one out.

BTW, remember, you can not use the same crypto codes which you used in the military. Nor a variation there of. Too easy for those who have a long memory.

Edited by VIS 9

Obama bought my group some CB radios. haha. When that cash for clunkers crap was going on, my best friend was jerkin the cb's out before they went to the crusher. WE looked into installing them, but didn't. We both have trucks and the ground plane issue was just too much for either of us to deal with. I didn't want an antenna on top of my shell... It wouldn't be there long! Tree's would get it within a week. And I spend too much time in and around the bed to corner mount one... Similar issues for him. Just not worth the hassle for the range...

I have several sets of the uniden "waterproof" FRS radios with the "35mile" range. We are going to range test them on the evac route this weekend, so I will post up the results. We have used them on the river with great results. Before you say "thats over flat water", let me add that is is a winding class III/IV kayak river with gorges that are sometimes 75ft or more. We have used them repeatedly out of "line of sight" in these gorges to great effect. But I'm sure they are NOWHERE near the 35 miles. haha If I can get 10 over flat ground, I will be eccstatic!

I know you did none of that because it would be illegal - so, with that in mind - you might check out the Bay of E to see what folks have out there.

Yep, you're right Capt Bart. That ol Black Cat would mostly just sit there by the Golden Eagle.

I guess she liked the heat from the tubes.;) As far as the Palomino goes on Robyn, it

had a plain old Turner power mike. Everybody named their horse in those days. :D

Edited by desert rat

Obama bought my group some CB radios. haha. When that cash for clunkers crap was going on, my best friend was jerkin the cb's out before they went to the crusher. WE looked into installing them, but didn't. We both have trucks and the ground plane issue was just too much for either of us to deal with. I didn't want an antenna on top of my shell... It wouldn't be there long! Tree's would get it within a week. And I spend too much time in and around the bed to corner mount one... Similar issues for him. Just not worth the hassle for the range...

I have several sets of the uniden "waterproof" FRS radios with the "35mile" range. We are going to range test them on the evac route this weekend, so I will post up the results. We have used them on the river with great results. Before you say "thats over flat water", let me add that is is a winding class III/IV kayak river with gorges that are sometimes 75ft or more. We have used them repeatedly out of "line of sight" in these gorges to great effect. But I'm sure they are NOWHERE near the 35 miles. haha If I can get 10 over flat ground, I will be eccstatic!

Ready,

There are mounts designed to go into the trailer hitch slot. If you don't haul a trailer often it makes a convenient location. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hitch+antenna+mount&_rdc=1

I've seen one, but not recently, that is hinged to allow the antenna to lay flat for loading the bed.

Thanks Bart. But I haul a trailer contantly. That is a major reason that i didn't want a corner mount. I'm moving between the bed and trailer all the time. I looked into alot of options. The one that looked like it would work out best for me is a mount that went between the hood and fender and mounted the antenae like the AM/FM but on the other side. In my readings, I found that they were not very effective. The CB is not something that I would ever use, at all... Until after something happened. I think it would just be too much time/money/effort for the use it would get... We do still have all the parts in case we need to add them in the future.

Thanks Bart. But I haul a trailer contantly. That is a major reason that i didn't want a corner mount. I'm moving between the bed and trailer all the time. I looked into alot of options. The one that looked like it would work out best for me is a mount that went between the hood and fender and mounted the antenae like the AM/FM but on the other side. In my readings, I found that they were not very effective. The CB is not something that I would ever use, at all... Until after something happened. I think it would just be too much time/money/effort for the use it would get... We do still have all the parts in case we need to add them in the future.

There are some really solid magnetic mounts that allow the antenna to be laid down with the mount still in place. If you don't need it all the time it might serve. I've used them off and on with really good results and they can be stored behind the seat until needed.

http://www.thefind.com/electronics/info-magnetic-mount-antenna#page=1&local=0

has a large selection of mag mounts.

I am by no means an expert on cbs, but it seems to me that "radio silents" would be the order of the day in a teotwawki. After all wouldn't it be easy to read signal strength and track someone who keyed the mike?

I am by no means an expert on cbs, but it seems to me that "radio silents" would be the order of the day in a teotwawki. After all wouldn't it be easy to read signal strength and track someone who keyed the mike?

You make a good point. Everything you do has trade-offs. Communication can be a strong advantage in a bad situation. That must be weighed against the probablity of someone who means you harm having the means to track your signal. You would need to evaluate the upside against the possible downside.

i have a set of 35 mile frs radios they work barely a 1/4 of a mile thru dense foliage in average southern woods.

That said my group has ham radios for comms out past a mile. Everyone is trained and has handheld ham radio and two locations have larger antennas with more powerful base stations that are easily mobile and run off 12 volts if need be. Solar panels and batteries are used for backup power in a pinch.

But keep in mind that operating marine VHF for other than marine operations, and with proper licensing, is illegal. Save the marine radios for a WROL situation. Might consider MURS instead. Nearly the same capability, and MURS is an unlicensed service. It also allows digital and remote control operations.

CB radio is as old as dinosaur dung. Sometimes old technology is a good thing but CB is not a valuable tool these days.

Using Marine radio which is a licensed system to communicate in a non Marine venue is simply silly, challenging the govt. to prosecute you for a criminal use of a radio is just asking for it.

With the revocation of the Morse Code requirement Amateur is easy to get licensed. Take a few technical tests and your in like Flint. Amateur radio or Ham to some is so completely superior to any of the FRS, GMRS, Marine or any other service. a 2 mtr Ham transceiver can easily dial to the Marine band, FRS, and many other frequencies that it easily out shines all the other services combined. Ham radio is the way to go as it has all the freedom any operator can ever want.

CB is old school as even truckers have mostly moved to Ham as a primary service, only the old die hards still use CB and then only for very short distance communications.

We comunicated all day long,but what about the event day,something simple,easy to used

and available,portable base unit,power,portable units,solar charge packs,a prepared wire clip antenna,for better range,prepared power cords,12v,120v,sun,related transformers,the main idea is to keep in comunication with the group,and able to maintain the equipment in

good orther,spares parts,fuses,batteries,even if you are alone,a good radio may keep you out of harms way,and into good ones,anyway comunication is very important.

I recently got into Goal Zero products for emergency power backup. I have 4 power packs for a total of 1400 amps cabled together and 2 thirty amp solar panels which can be linked for quicker charging. The power packs utilize a 400 amp power inverter. They can be kept on charge 24/7 from household power, charged from a 12 volt source, or the solar panels. I also keep some of my essential radio equipment in a cardboard lined trash can serving as a Faraday Cage for EMT protection. These include a weather radio, a set of 35 mile FRS radios, small 7" tv, and power strips.